The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Tricorders "Cage" Or "TOS?"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Post Tricorders "Cage" Or "TOS?"

Maybe you guys know...

I don't remeber there being a Tricorder in "The Cage."

If there was, do you want to see that one or a TOS Tricorder?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Zar, as far as I can research, the tricorder first appeared in "The Naked Time", so there may not have been a "Cage" version of it to compare. In any case, I'm all for these gadgets (tricorders, phasers, communicators, Bones' gizmos) closely resembling TOS-era designs, both for consistency and that the earlier designs shouldn't be that radically different considering what 'little' time passes between the main action years of this story and TOS.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Midshipman

I think that they should aim for as many TOS elements as possible, but considering how many features can be packed into a palm sized cell phone these days I'd like the technology in this movie to reflect our current level of achievement.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Commander

See, herein lies one of the problems this movie faces: At the time that TOS was made, technical devices were thought of as being bigger, the more advanced. Nobody was thinking that a personal computer would ever be developed. In fact, the thinking was that the more powerful computers became, the larger they would become.

But now, we are getting technology that is more powerful and a smaller size. Take cell phones for instance: they started off the size of a shoe, but now look at Blackberrys.. we find them to be huge cell phones.

Back in the 60's, the audience of that time would never have found a scanning device that could be held in one hand to be believeable. Today, we find the idea of a scanning device the size of TOS tricorders to be ridiculous.

The trend is going to continue: 40 years from now, we will have devices that we've never conceived of today.

I've said it before: if you are going to this movie with the expectation of being taken back to when you were 10 years old, you're likely going to be disappointed.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Zar, as far as I can research, the tricorder first appeared in "The Naked Time", so there may not have been a "Cage" version of it to compare. In any case, I'm all for these gadgets (tricorders, phasers, communicators, Bones' gizmos) closely resembling TOS-era designs, both for consistency and that the earlier designs shouldn't be that radically different considering what 'little' time passes between the main action years of this story and TOS.
here, here...I'm with that. keep it simple stupid.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I liked the tricordor and I also don't think there was one in the Cage, so I think we're safe on that assumption.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
See, herein lies one of the problems this movie faces: At the time that TOS was made, technical devices were thought of as being bigger, the more advanced. Nobody was thinking that a personal computer would ever be developed. In fact, the thinking was that the more powerful computers became, the larger they would become.
I'll kindly disagree with you on this point, since the time TOS was produced was also in the era of transistor technology, which began the miniaturization (comparatively) of electronics: pocket-sized radios leading the way to smaller portable TVs, etc. Nor do I agree about people thinking computers would get bigger since the first computers in the 50s occupied whole rooms, and the trend ever since was for computers to decrease in size while gaining power. In part, the Space Race also typified this trend, a technological leap very much in the public eye.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Rear Admiral

I don't remember seeing a tricorder in the pilot episode.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 03-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

In think wonder about the tricorders may be slightly on the obsessive side.
Have I said that already...

Old 03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
I've said it before: if you are going to this movie with the expectation of being taken back to when you were 10 years old, you're likely going to be disappointed.
Exactly. Maybe there should be a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie:

"The beginning is not 1966."