The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Movie Opening Sequence - My Thoughts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Not me though.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Ensign

Ok...I think I'm about to coin a new phrase here:

Everyone get off your canon-boxes!

TWOK is the only source (aside from a very brief reference in UDC) where Kirk and his handling of the Kobyashi Maru test has ever been mentioned. All that was stated in TWOK is this: He is the only cadet who ever beat that particular "no win" scenario (by TNG times other tests were being used), and that he got a commendation for original thinking.

It said no more or less than that about the entire event. This is one of those areas where there could be more to the full story than was told and that would NOT contradict what was said.

It is therefore completely plausible that Kirk was originally held accountable for "cheating" and later commended. What he did was a version of cheating by reprogramming the simulator and an organization like Starfleet Academy would, at least initially, hold his actions up for scrutiny.

Bob Orci stated that there are places where they have flushed out more detail in the canon than what was known so far and even places where so little is known about events and times that they have "taken some liberties" with the canon (translate as "we've created the events where there was room to create them").

Now take a breath...it's ok...life does go on and so will Trek.

CE
Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Well, there's scrutiny and there's court martial. A wide expanse between the two, I'd say. In any case, it would be fun to see Kirk play out this moment in his early career.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolFan2020 View Post
OK, who said anything about a court martial? Where'd that one come from? I remember it being said that he was the only cadet to beat the NO WIN scenario and that he received a commendation for original thinking... but no one ever said a thing about a tribunal, let alone a full court martial....
I don't get your question.
1. we are speclating.
2. Cheating on a test and ending up with a commedation for original thinking leaves a lot of scope for events in between. My suggestion as good as any.

If my take did happen in the film would you be writing to paramount asking how as the courtmashall had not been mentioned before?

Not to mention that a commendation for original thinking as a result of cheating on a test... well lets just say if one of my friends told me that i would expect that there was a little more to the story, as would you.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fawkes View Post
I think it will start with young Kirk and crew in a no win situation about to get blown to bits. Then the opening credits.

The story will then take us into the future but by the time we see young Kirk again he is in the process of being courtmarshalled for cheating on the Kobayashi Maru.

The outcome of the original scene is what will save Kirk and prove that his thinking does indeed work in the real universe.
do you really think they'd courtmartial a cadet for cheating...isn't that the dean's thing...you court martial officers..we're talking students.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Ensign

Smile

well I rather like this spoiler
which, I understand, isn't a spoiler lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Opening Sequence One:

Possible Spoiler
Old 03-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Federation Councillor

colon-

While we may be on our "cannon boxes" as you so enderingly put it. Cannon creates at least a resemblence of a timeline for established Treks. Of course some "literary licnce" has been taken with it over the years. But (especially since the TNG era) there has been a real effort to have a linear progression to things.

Yes it was the TWOK was the first time WE saw it as an audience. But TNG, DS9 both mention this test, Picard even metions it being "Being a Starfleet tradition." So I can assume it was around at least pre-TOS but a decade or two since Kirk took it.

Kirk recived a comendation for "original thinking" for reprograming/cheating on that test, hardly a "punishment."
Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
do you really think they'd courtmartial a cadet for cheating...isn't that the dean's thing...you court martial officers..we're talking students.
Are they normal students as such going through starfleet training? I would have thought that as long as they held some rank that they would be accountable.
I may be wrong, it's been known to happen.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
colon-

Kirk recived a comendation for "original thinking" for reprograming/cheating on that test, hardly a "punishment."
And how long after did he receive his commendation for original thinking? If you don't know and it is not known then it is entirely possible that is fact he was to be punished ( a very reasonable expectation) but that something may have happened that vindicated him.

You cannot be dogmatic where there are gaps in your knowledge. Not when we are clearly talking on speculation.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Federation Councillor

Well in TWOK he didn't say "Oh yeah, after that, I peeled carrots for the next three months. Then they decided to give me a comendation for original thinking."

I guess I'm saying (and I'm sure people will disagree) that is there was some punishment or sanction against him, it would have been mentioned before now.

I understand what your saying, yes, concivably they could show some sanction for reprograming/cheating.