The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Anonymous Poll: What Region of the World Are You From?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: I Am From....
The United States. 14 53.85%
Canada. 1 3.85%
Europe, including Russia. 7 26.92%
Asia. 0 0%
Latin America. 0 0%
Africa. 0 0%
Australia or Oceania. 2 7.69%
The Middle East. 0 0%
Other. 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-29-2009, 01:45 PM
DNA-1842's Avatar
DNA-1842 DNA-1842 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Now that raises the interesting question - which I don't think could be answered without revealing more than may be wise on an open forum - of who here is geographically closest?

I bet 12 miles would be a good start!
I live... Is it about 180 miles from Glasgow to Aberdeen?
_______
Early last year on here someone made a Where are you from? thread, and they had individual categories for each US state, and had split the rest of the world into continents, adding the persons country of origin after their name!

Is this a common mentality in America? That your states hold the same kind of regard that someone else would hold for entire continents?

If so, then... uy....
__________________
Gronda Gronda to all Zarking Hoopy Froods! Bowties are cool.
I Am A Friend Of


(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Star Trek Viewer Star Trek Viewer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
I live... Is it about 180 miles from Glasgow to Aberdeen?
_______
Early last year on here someone made a Where are you from? thread, and they had individual categories for each US state, and had split the rest of the world into continents, adding the persons country of origin after their name!

Is this a common mentality in America? That your states hold the same kind of regard that someone else would hold for entire continents?

If so, then... uy....
There is a distinct sense of affiliation that many Americans, perhaps even the majority, have with their state if they or their families have been a resident of it for a long enough time. Many Texans, for example, have a genuine belief that their state is better than any other state in the Union, and especially any state in the Northeast with the intials "N.Y." This is less true of recent immigrants to either the United States or any particular state, regarding their state of residence.

Hawaii is another example of a state with strong in-state identification, for historical as well as other reasons.

Identification with one's state may not be the same for all states, however. It may be especially intense in the Far West and the Southern states, given their respective histories.

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-29-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-29-2009, 02:22 PM
janeway72's Avatar
janeway72 janeway72 is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Federation Starship Voyager
Posts: 4,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
I live... Is it about 180 miles from Glasgow to Aberdeen?
It's about 145 miles to Aberdeen from Glasgow - assuming you go via the M80, the M9, A9, M90 and A90. Or you could use your Sat Nav going via Greenland, Canada, Alaska, Russia and Scandinavia.
__________________

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,225
Default

What happened to the CCCP version of a moon rocket and LEM? It was a race to the moon, so they probably had one...
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Star Trek Viewer Star Trek Viewer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
What happened to the CCCP version of a moon rocket and LEM? It was a race to the moon, so they probably had one...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N1_(rocket)


Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-29-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 PM
DNA-1842's Avatar
DNA-1842 DNA-1842 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
It's about 145 miles to Aberdeen from Glasgow - assuming you go via the M80, the M9, A9, M90 and A90. Or you could use your Sat Nav going via Greenland, Canada, Alaska, Russia and Scandinavia.
Oh, yeah, whoops...

I pass through Glasgow on my way to my grandparents'...

They are a bit further (hence the 180!).
__________________
Gronda Gronda to all Zarking Hoopy Froods! Bowties are cool.
I Am A Friend Of


(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-29-2009, 03:26 PM
DNA-1842's Avatar
DNA-1842 DNA-1842 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
There is a distinct sense of affiliation that many Americans, perhaps even the majority, have with their state if they or their families have been a resident of it for a long enough time. Many Texans, for example, have a genuine belief that their state is better than any other state in the Union, and especially any state in the Northeast with the intials "N.Y." This is less true of recent immigrants to either the United States or any particular state, regarding their state of residence.

Hawaii is another example of a state with strong in-state identification, for historical as well as other reasons.

Identification with one's state may not be the same for all states, however. It may be especially intense in the Far West and the Southern states, given their respective histories.
Oh, that kind of thing is commonplace across the world!

I mean, those English have nothing on us Scots!
_________

I was more thinking... Are many Americans under the impression that America is the only country in the world?

I know at least some believe that America is the only "Free Country"!

[Example: when Obama was inaugurated, Americans hailed him as "The Leader of the Free World!" - Come on! That is utter rubbish! There is a list of countries as long as my arm that fall under the category "Free", none of which except the USA are ruled by Obama!
__________________
Gronda Gronda to all Zarking Hoopy Froods! Bowties are cool.
I Am A Friend Of


(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Star Trek Viewer Star Trek Viewer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
Oh, that kind of thing is commonplace across the world!

I mean, those English have nothing on us Scots!
_________

I was more thinking... Are many Americans under the impression that America is the only country in the world?

I know at least some believe that America is the only "Free Country"!

[Example: when Obama was inaugurated, Americans hailed him as "The Leader of the Free World!" - Come on! That is utter rubbish! There is a list of countries as long as my arm that fall under the category "Free", none of which except the USA are ruled by Obama!
It's from the Cold War mentality, when the U.S. was considered the first among equals because we had the biggest Schwartz ... I mean, the biggest economy and most effective nuclear stockpile. The U.S. President was considered the leader of the "free world," meaning the West as against the Soviet bloc, because the President was the leader of the U.S., which was the leader of the West.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:17 PM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,225
Default

Thanks, I just spent the last hour reading about all the various rockets... whenever I read one wiki article, I end up reading more and more linked articles.
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Star Trek Viewer Star Trek Viewer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Thanks, I just spent the last hour reading about all the various rockets... whenever I read one wiki article, I end up reading more and more linked articles.
Don't you just love the N-1 article? And that photo of two of them ... amazing.

Too bad the rockets were such failures.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.