The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > What's your favorite Terminator film?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Favorite Terminator Film?
The Terminator (1984) 6 37.50%
Judgment Day (1991) 9 56.25%
Rise of the Machines (2003) 1 6.25%
Salvation (2009) 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 AM
Commander

When it comes to Terminator I'm like the Star Trek purists. T1 & T2 are the bible and the rest can just disappear as far as I'm concerned but T2 couldn't exist with out T1 so it's hard to separate the two. Cameron is a detail freak and its incredible the amount of little links he made in T1 & T2.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
When it comes to Terminator I'm like the Star Trek purists. T1 & T2 are the bible and the rest can just disappear as far as I'm concerned but T2 couldn't exist with out T1 so it's hard to separate the two. Cameron is a detail freak and its incredible the amount of little links he made in T1 & T2.
Agreed. That's what PO'd me about T3, they just told the audience, "Forget the first two movies, Judgement Day, Skynet, they all happen anyway."
Old 07-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Agreed. That's what PO'd me about T3, they just told the audience, "Forget the first two movies, Judgement Day, Skynet, they all happen anyway."
The idea that they only delayed Judgment Day in T2 allowing T3 to happen didn't bother me because it is possible that some how some of Miles Dyson's research was saved somewhere else. If you were a big company and this R&D was going to keep things running for you for the next 30 years wouldn't you back it up? Plus the right arm of the T-800 in T2 gets crushed in a gear at the factory and we don't see Sarah or John throw that in the molten steel pit so Cyberdyne Systems may have retrieved it later. What bothered me were the little things. Like when the T-850 in T3 gets in a car and pulls down the sun visor which is something John taught the T-800 in T2 and this new terminator shouldn't be programmed with that knowledge. Later on in the film they go on to specifically mention this Arnold in not the same Arnold that came before him.

Last edited by Enterprise Captain : 07-31-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Vice Admiral

the second for me
Old 07-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
The idea that they only delayed Judgment Day in T2 allowing T3 to happen didn't bother me because it is possible that some how some of Miles Dyson's research was saved somewhere else. If you were a big company and this R&D was going to keep things running for you for the next 30 years wouldn't you back it up? Plus the right arm of the T-800 in T2 gets crushed in a gear at the factory and we don't see Sarah or John throw that in the molten steel pit so Cyberdyne Systems may have retrieved it later. What bothered me where the little things. Like when the T-850 in T3 gets in a car and pulls down the sun visor which is something John taught the t-800 in T2 and this new terminator shouldn’t be programmed with that knowledge. Later on in the film the go on to specifically mention this Arnold in not the same Arnold that came before him.
Hmm that's not what I walked away with from T2. When they destroyed the research, and lost the ressearcher that would have led to Skynet, I felt it brough that future to complete end. The film said..ok we've stopped all this from happening.

I agree about the parts from the gears, but I would think Sarah as paranoid as she was in T2 would have surely gone back and made sure all evidence was gone, heck, she'd devoted her life to stopping it and/or getting John ready for it.

The T-850 scene with the visor, it could have just been dumb luck on "her" part, and/or an easter egg for viewers.

My big thing about 3 besides that bastarization of a great set of films is, why is the Terminator getting visibly older??? He's made on an assembly line!! Ok, I know Arnold is getting odler, and shouldn't have bothered with the film.

T3-Did you see that stupid "deleted scene" where they expalin how the "Arnold Termintor" coems into existance? I thought it was a gag reel the first time I saw it.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Commander

Quote:
Hmm that's not what I walked away with from T2. When they destroyed the research, and lost the ressearcher that would have led to Skynet, I felt it brough that future to complete end. The film said..ok we've stopped all this from happening.

I agree about the parts from the gears, but I would think Sarah as paranoid as she was in T2 would have surely gone back and made sure all evidence was gone, heck, she'd devoted her life to stopping it and/or getting John ready for it.

The T-850 scene with the visor, it could have just been dumb luck on "her" part, and/or an easter egg for viewers.

My big thing about 3 besides that bastarization of a great set of films is, why is the Terminator getting visibly older??? He's made on an assembly line!! Ok, I know Arnold is getting odler, and shouldn't have bothered with the film.

T3-Did you see that stupid "deleted scene" where they expalin how the "Arnold Termintor" coems into existance? I thought it was a gag reel the first time I saw it.
Have you seen the original ending for T2? If you haven't Sarah is sitting on a park bench in the year 2029 an old lady watching her now 44 year old son John playing with his daughter. It turns out it's the same park we saw at the beginning of the film in flames but Judgment Day was stopped. Cameron changed the ending in order to leave the film open to a sequel. The T-850 scene in T3 was totally made as an easter egg for viewers but it doesn't make sense. The reason being the T-850 is Arnold and his model number changed from T-800 due to the changes in the timeline and they explain that later in the film so he shouldn't be programmed with the knowledge that John taught the T-800 from T2. Arnold being older didn't bother me that much either because the same could be said about Data. As for that deleted scene in T3 I have seen it and I'm really glad they cut it out. It does seem like a scene they made for kicks and not to be put in the film. T3 though had a lot of stupid humor in it that made the Terminator look like a clown which bothered me a lot.

Last edited by Enterprise Captain : 07-31-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Have you seen the original ending for T2? If you haven't Sarah is sitting on a park bench in the year 2029 an old lady watching her now 44 year old son John playing with his daughter. It turns out it's the same park we saw at the beginning of the film in flames but Judgment Day was stopped. Cameron changed the ending in order to leave the film open to a sequel. The T-850 scene in T3 was totally made as an easter egg for viewers but it doesn't make sense. The reason being the T-850 is Arnold and his model number changed from T-800 due to the changes in the timeline and they explain that later in the film so he shouldn't be programmed with the knowledge that John taught the T-800 from T2. Arnold being older didn't bother me that much either because the same could be said about Data. As for that deleted scene in T3 I have seen it and I'm really glad they cut it out. It does seem like a scene they made for kicks and not to be put in the film. T3 though had a lot of stupid humor in it that made the Terminator look like a clown which bothered me a lot.
But with Data it makes sense he would try to change his looks to "keep up" with his freinds, and appear more "human."

I haven't seen the original ending, just got a copy of the "Ultimate Edtion" DVD from a freind for T2, bet it's on there!

T3 for me was just a total joke, and not a funny one.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Commander

Quote:
But with Data it makes sense he would try to change his looks to "keep up" with his freinds, and appear more "human."

I haven't seen the original ending, just got a copy of the "Ultimate Edtion" DVD from a freind for T2, bet it's on there!

T3 for me was just a total joke, and not a funny one.
The original T2 ending should be on the "ultimate Edition" DVD. I think you have to enter the code though to access that scene. You can find the code here. I agree with you about T3 being a joke. They stepped over the line with cheesy jokes and humor. The Terminator is a killing machine not a clown.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Have you seen the original ending for T2? If you haven't Sarah is sitting on a park bench in the year 2029 an old lady watching her now 44 year old son John playing with his daughter. It turns out it's the same park we saw at the beginning of the film in flames but Judgment Day was stopped. Cameron changed the ending in order to leave the film open to a sequel.
It was unfortunate that Cameron went with his business head instead of artistic one with that ending.

Based on how I've always understood the franchise Cameron's theme (or one of them) was that 'The Future is not Set' and that mankind could change itself and ultimately avert Judgement Day from happening.

But T3 and T4 reject that and go with the theory that it at best can only be delayed and is inevitable.

Maybe those better versed in the understanding of time loops would say that the latter makes more sense, but to me it undermines what I felt Cameron was trying to suggest with T1 and T2.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
The original T2 ending should be on the "ultimate Edition" DVD. I think you have to enter the code though to access that scene. You can find the code here. I agree with you about T3 being a joke. They stepped over the line with cheesy jokes and humor. The Terminator is a killing machine not a clown.
Cool!!! I'll try it later tonight! Thanks!

In T3 I guess they thought, "Well Arnold isn't what he used to be, so let's just make fun of him!"