The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Article Asks: Starship Enterprise Versus New Galactica: Who Would Win?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Starship Enterprise Versus the New Galactica
The Starship Enterprise would win. 7 87.50%
The New Galactica would win. 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
If shields are supposed to work against all weapons, then why does Enterprise always take such massive blows from hardened projectiles?
This is more a function of dramatic effect than anything else. Many times shields are shown to absorb photon torpedoes as well. And phasers are fired countless times against ships in all of the series while shields are up.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Commander

Especially in TNG and you get this shield bubble effect. But in the movies they do not show that. Chang fired one torpedo and blew through the saucer section of the Enterprise. Nero fired a salvo and took out part of the medical section, putting Dr. McCoy in charge.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Especially in TNG and you get this shield bubble effect. But in the movies they do not show that. Chang fired one torpedo and blew through the saucer section of the Enterprise. Nero fired a salvo and took out part of the medical section, putting Dr. McCoy in charge.
Nero's weapons were from the future, the Kelvin crew responded with shock and disbelief when the weapons penetrated their shields, something they should have expected if shields only work against energy weapons.

No fleet in the galaxy would waste resources on weapons that go to the strength of a possible adversaries defenses. It just doesn't add up at all.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
In Nemesis, we see ships engaged in battle who's shields absorb countless torpedo hits.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Commander

I know. But how many times does E take massive damage from one missile or torpedo?
If the sheilds work like described in Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. You find the 3 methods I noted. Deflectors can only handle objects of a particular mass, after that the deflectors fail to turn away the mass and you have impact. I don't see enough evidence of sheilds being able to deflect the kind of barrage that Galactica engages in when she's firing.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I know. But how many times does E take massive damage from one missile or torpedo?
If the sheilds work like described in Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. You find the 3 methods I noted. Deflectors can only handle objects of a particular mass, after that the deflectors fail to turn away the mass and you have impact. I don't see enough evidence of sheilds being able to deflect the kind of barrage that Galactica engages in when she's firing.
That's the thing, I don't buy into the premise put forth in that guide apperently. A defensive system that works in that fashion would quickly become obsolete as fleets would quickly abandon energy based weapons in favor of weapons of the type that would easily penetrate the shields. Since that isn't the case, and energy weapons are pretty much the standard, we can assume that the shields must work on projectile type weapons as well. Torpedoes have been absorbed by shields countless times in all of the various Star Trek incarnations.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

During combat I thought shields attempted to absorb and dissipate the attack from energy weapons and deflect projectiles, torpedoes/missiles being the nastier of the two since the torpedo attempts to penetrate the shields on impact coupled with the sudden release of matter/antimatter, merculite etc.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
During combat I thought shields attempted to absorb and dissipate the attack from energy weapons and deflect projectiles, torpedoes/missiles being the nastier of the two since the torpedo attempts to penetrate the shields on impact coupled with the sudden release of matter/antimatter, merculite etc.
Well we have to remember that in the TOS movies the shields were kind of invisible and less powerful in a way. Anything hit the hull, but supposedly the shields lessened the impact. Remember in TUC, the Excelsior is hit with shields raised, but still the hit leaves a scar on the hull, etc. Then, in TNG we see the shields blocking everything.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah they went to the bubble effect in TNG, I like TOS version better where it's more like a skin and the shields are great protection but even if they're still up they're not absolute.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Banned

Regarding shields, there is a theory that they are not electromagnetic in nature but actually an incomplete form of the warp field that deflects incoming energy and weapons through a localized change in the spacetime matrix, in the same way that gravity is a distortion of spacetime. The way I saw it referred to is that when a particular weapon hits a shield, it's not that the energy is dissipated (although it looks that way), but rather that the ship is locally displaced relative to that weapon itself.

This kind of theory might be ill-served if a physical weapon could penetrate the shield since it would imply that the weapon would somehow pierce through the locally warped spacetime, which seems implausible.

On the other hand, the Narada's weapons could have been equipped with a warp field dampener that neutralized the warp field at the point of entry.

As for the torpedo in Star Trek VI, I prefer to think that it went in between a gap in the shields.

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-28-2009 at 02:54 PM.