The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Article Asks: Starship Enterprise Versus New Galactica: Who Would Win?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Starship Enterprise Versus the New Galactica
The Starship Enterprise would win. 7 87.50%
The New Galactica would win. 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Star Trek Viewer Star Trek Viewer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,057
Default Article Asks: Starship Enterprise Versus New Galactica: Who Would Win?

If the Starship Enterprise (any version) got into it with the new, supersized Galactica, which ship would win?

See:

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/07/photon-torpedoe.php

A pleasant poll is provided for your perusal and prelation.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,986
Default

galactica uses guns and nuclear warheads, I doubt they would have any impact on Enterprise's shields whatsoever.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Star Trek...duh.....
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Star Trek Viewer Star Trek Viewer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
galactica uses guns and nuclear warheads, I doubt they would have any impact on Enterprise's shields whatsoever.
Most people seem to agree.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 AM
TGElder TGElder is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 1,323
Default

Enterprise's shields are designed to deflect small spacial matter and absorb/deflect the damage from energy weapons. Missiles and torpedoes still inflict damage because they have too much mass and velocity to be deflected. This is why General Chang's torpedoes tore the hell out of the big E in TUC. We see E taking similar damage from Nero's missiles.
There are 3 types of shields: 1) passive deflectors which are designed to nudge spacial matter and debris away from the ship.
2) Active Defensive Screens (raise shields) these shields deflect the damage from enemy disruptor and phaser fire.
3) Plate regeneration. The sensor array scans the hull of the ship for micro punctures and hull ruptures and fills those voids by beaming matter into the gaps.

Even with deflectors on full a direct hit from a nuke would destroy the ship.
__________________
TGElder NCC 1701-E
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Enterprise's shields are designed to deflect small spacial matter and absorb/deflect the damage from energy weapons. Missiles and torpedoes still inflict damage because they have too much mass and velocity to be deflected. This is why General Chang's torpedoes tore the hell out of the big E in TUC. We see E taking similar damage from Nero's missiles.
There are 3 types of shields: 1) passive deflectors which are designed to nudge spacial matter and debris away from the ship.
2) Active Defensive Screens (raise shields) these shields deflect the damage from enemy disruptor and phaser fire.
3) Plate regeneration. The sensor array scans the hull of the ship for micro punctures and hull ruptures and fills those voids by beaming matter into the gaps.

Even with deflectors on full a direct hit from a nuke would destroy the ship.
That makes no sense, there would be far more energy in a collision with a grain of dust at many times the speed of light than there would be from the mass of a missle.

Last edited by Captain Tom Coughlin : 07-28-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2009, 11:36 AM
TGElder TGElder is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 1,323
Default

While what you say is true in physics, you must understand two things. #1 this is Star Trek. Real science need not apply. I am going with what we see as canon from the movies and episodes. And little to no battles have taken place at warp speeds.
#2 according to most warp field sciences the warp field around a ship would cause spacial matter to pass either around the warp bubble, or it would be carried along with the ship like a remora cruising along with a great white.
__________________
TGElder NCC 1701-E
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Enterprise's shields are designed to deflect small spacial matter and absorb/deflect the damage from energy weapons. Missiles and torpedoes still inflict damage because they have too much mass and velocity to be deflected. This is why General Chang's torpedoes tore the hell out of the big E in TUC. We see E taking similar damage from Nero's missiles.
There are 3 types of shields: 1) passive deflectors which are designed to nudge spacial matter and debris away from the ship.
2) Active Defensive Screens (raise shields) these shields deflect the damage from enemy disruptor and phaser fire.
3) Plate regeneration. The sensor array scans the hull of the ship for micro punctures and hull ruptures and fills those voids by beaming matter into the gaps.

Even with deflectors on full a direct hit from a nuke would destroy the ship.
If there were any truth to this at all, every warship in the galaxy would be equipped with the types of weapons that would penetrate the shields, IE missiles. That is just how arms races work. Phasers would not be the main weapon of any ship. We would see very different types of arms on ships than what the norm is shown time and time again in Star Trek, energy weapons.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM
TGElder TGElder is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 1,323
Default

I don't think that the movies and episodes bear that out. More often than not you find that missiles or torpeodoes are fired. Energy weapons are used, especially on Enterprise as precision weapons to target engines or weapons.
Even Khan new that his phasers would cut through the hull if the shields were down. And Kirk tried and failed to raise shields in time.
If shields are supposed to work against all weapons, then why does Enterprise always take such massive blows from hardened projectiles?
__________________
TGElder NCC 1701-E
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
I don't think that the movies and episodes bear that out. More often than not you find that missiles or torpeodoes are fired. Energy weapons are used, especially on Enterprise as precision weapons to target engines or weapons.
Even Khan new that his phasers would cut through the hull if the shields were down. And Kirk tried and failed to raise shields in time.
If shields are supposed to work against all weapons, then why does Enterprise always take such massive blows from hardened projectiles?
If ship's defenses are geared at defending energy weapons, and are useless against conventional types of warheads, then energy weapons are the last thing a ship would carry. Why would you fire at a ship with a phaser at all if what you are saying is true? Ships would be geared to exploit enemies weakness, not strengths.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.