The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why Do "All Powerful, All Knowing" Beings Seem To Like To Torture Starfleet Crews?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Federation Councillor

Oregon-

If I was in that position, I would hope I would not become as bad as they were.

Saquist-

I generally agree with you. But there has been plenty of corrupt Starfleeters, who even abused their own comrades.

Berengarius-

Ok I buy Trelane bacuase he was a child, agree there.

But the Q do things out of a hatred/dislike for what they once were. This has even been mentioned on film, so it owuld be cannon. They know they are all powerful but lack what we posess...true emotion and feeling.

Gary Mitchell-
He was a victim really. He didn't ask for what happened. He could handle that much power that quickly. I allways belived that whatever it was wouldn't have let him come to terms with it, and eventually he would have destoryed himself after taking alot of the Alpha quadrent with him. Or maybe it just suppressed his abiltiy to tell right from wrong and his compassion. when he was "overpowered by the phaser blast and the forcefeild" Gray came back in control for a short time, horrified at what he'd done.

Eliza-

Just because one is a sicentist does not mean they aspire to a higher plane of thinking. Look at all the horrible/torture-like things that were done to mental patients in the early to mid 20th century by doctors and scientists trying to "cure" them. Would you call the Nazi scientists enlightened? I doubt it.

What I meant is humans as a whole are arrogant and full of self rightiousness. Whoever has the power, rules. I wonder what American history would have been liek if written from the perspective of the Native Americans if they had defeated the settlers, or if England had won the war for independence, or if Germany had won WWII.

I feel humans have not even entered the adolecence of our enlightenment. Trek give us a glimpse at what we can become, not what what we are.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Admiral

heh..I'm the daughter of a scientist..I have a bit of a science turn myself (hence, my presence here.)..but, obviously, I have a literary bent (hence my use of the word "hence").

Quote:
Just because one is a sicentist does not mean they aspire to a higher plane of thinking. Look at all the horrible/torture-like things that were done to mental patients in the early to mid 20th century by doctors and scientists trying to "cure" them. Would you call the Nazi scientists enlightened? I doubt it.
True...but then, we're talking about species that seem advanced to humans hundreds of years in our future...so, we can at least hope for more enlightenment. I expect it of us. I expect it of them.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I still can't get over "god" from Star Trek V. He wasn't even that powerful if he needed a starship to take him places. He was blown up from like three shots from a bird of prey anyways. He must not have been the strong or all powerful.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 PM

Berengarius-

Gary Mitchell-
He was a victim really. He didn't ask for what happened. He could handle that much power that quickly. I allways belived that whatever it was wouldn't have let him come to terms with it, and eventually he would have destoryed himself after taking alot of the Alpha quadrent with him. Or maybe it just suppressed his abiltiy to tell right from wrong and his compassion. when he was "overpowered by the phaser blast and the forcefeild" Gray came back in control for a short time, horrified at what he'd done.[/quote]

I agree that he was an unwitting victim, and i believe his human core was remorseful, but when he was in God-Mode, he had zero control. He was a plane full of TNT which the crew bailed out of and forgot to put on auto-pilot. He was like an explosion that had gone off and could not be put back in the box that once contained it. In the end, Kirk made the hard decision, the one that had to be made and that couldn't be gotten away from. The needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few, or the one. And it hurt Kirk bad, because the Gary Mitchell he knew was already gone. Spock was smart enough and blunt enough to deliver that point without sugar coating it. But you do have this very valid point with which i must agree. Gary Mitchell himself was not a villain, but then again, once the change took hold, he wasn't Gary Mitchell anymore.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATEDNCC1701 View Post
I still can't get over "god" from Star Trek V. He wasn't even that powerful if he needed a starship to take him places. He was blown up from like three shots from a bird of prey anyways. He must not have been the strong or all powerful.
I have always had the thought that "God" was imprisoned on that planet, and could not leave. However, through bad writing, he was able to communicate with Sybok WAAAAAY across the Galaxy.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I guess so, but it really wasn't "God" though so it makes since. Who really knows what they were thinking when they wrote the script for Final Frontier.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Oregon-

If I was in that position, I would hope I would not become as bad as they were.

Saquist-

I generally agree with you. But there has been plenty of corrupt Starfleeters, who even abused their own comrades.

Berengarius-

Ok I buy Trelane bacuase he was a child, agree there.

But the Q do things out of a hatred/dislike for what they once were. This has even been mentioned on film, so it owuld be cannon. They know they are all powerful but lack what we posess...true emotion and feeling.

Gary Mitchell-
He was a victim really. He didn't ask for what happened. He could handle that much power that quickly. I allways belived that whatever it was wouldn't have let him come to terms with it, and eventually he would have destoryed himself after taking alot of the Alpha quadrent with him. Or maybe it just suppressed his abiltiy to tell right from wrong and his compassion. when he was "overpowered by the phaser blast and the forcefeild" Gray came back in control for a short time, horrified at what he'd done.

Eliza-

What I meant is humans as a whole are arrogant and full of self rightiousness. Whoever has the power, rules. I wonder what American history would have been liek if written from the perspective of the Native Americans if they had defeated the settlers, or if England had won the war for independence, or if Germany had won WWII.

I feel humans have not even entered the adolecence of our enlightenment. Trek give us a glimpse at what we can become, not what what we are.
yeah you're right but by the time of this century most of humanity is at peace, which is a nice thought.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:27 AM
Lieutenant

If you want to understand why powerful advanced aliens/omnipotent beings are portrayed as being nasty to humans, understand that Star Trek has a philosophical agenda intended to influence the viewer. The key is to study Roddenberry's well-documented attitude to Christianity, and the door will open. The repetition of the theme of god-like beings behaving badly is not an accident in Star Trek.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

Fascinating and yet DS9 explores religion.
He must have softened in the intervening years.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:10 AM
Captain

I must have missed those episodes. Can you provide a list?