The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > What If the USS Enterprise Were Sighted Orbiting Our Planet Tomorrow?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned

Question What If the USS Enterprise Were Sighted Orbiting Our Planet Tomorrow?

What if the USS Enterprise -- any form of it could work, really, but let's just say the one in the current movie -- suddenly appeared in Earth orbit tomorrow and remained strangely silent?

In realistic terms, what would the nations of the world do?

There would be many that would consider it a hoax; there would be conspiracy theories galore; but first and foremost, the U.S. would probably go to DefCon 4, or perhaps 3.

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-26-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Commander

There would be panic if it were made known publicly. Now a ship 1000 ft long would be visible from the surface so people would see it.
I guarantee the military would go on full alert, and there'd probably be some attempts at contact.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Commander

Here's a shot showing the ISS taken from Earth via telescope. Now imagine a ship of 1200ft, or if you believe ILM's figures 2357ft. It would be easily visible.
http://spaceweather.com/swpod2009/04...p76c1s4g43ab52
Old 07-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Here's a shot showing the ISS taken from Earth via telescope. Now imagine a ship of 1200ft, or if you believe ILM's figures 2357ft. It would be easily visible.
http://spaceweather.com/swpod2009/04...p76c1s4g43ab52
When the Enterprise was slingshoted back to 20th century earth in (Tomorrow is Yesterday?) they had to get altitude and deflectors back on line so that they would not be detected by military radar. I always wondered though about a ship of even her size at the time not being thought of as being visually tracked from the ground. Writing, I guess, did not consider it at the time or including the fact at the time would have created an additional problem for them to solve in 1hr.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Commander

I just spent an hour watching Jupiter rise over the horizon. With the small Meade telescope that used to be my son's. If I can see Jupiter's bands of colors with that old Wal-Mart telescope, I think I could spot a 2400 foot spaceship in a near Earth orbit.
There'd be military reaction to be sure.
Have you ever seen those night shots during a football game where the camera man zooms in on the moon? They be able to read registry numbers.
If they got no radio response I'd think there'd be some effort to get a closer look. Probably have the guys on ISS try to get images. Or a shuttle mission might be scheduled and try to rendezvous.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Federation Councillor

Wouldn't Voayger be more likely since it's made to land?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:32 AM
Vice Admiral

Im sure the first place Janeway would visit would be Starbucks!

Old 07-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
Im sure the first place Janeway would visit would be Starbucks!
Probably...lol....
Old 07-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

If it remained silent, chances are we'd all look at it closely... and try to contact it in various ways. Most people would remark, "Dang, don't that look jus' like that one in thet thar Trek show?" and we'd then send a shuttle up to take a closer look. I doubt we'd launch a bunch of missiles at something that is just sitting there... especially if it looks like it's a manufactured object... we'd have no idea what might happen if were were attempt to destroy it. It's debis could be explosive, or highly toxic to the atmosphere... (and as trek fans... we know what would happen if she were to lose contianment...)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
If it remained silent, chances are we'd all look at it closely... and try to contact it in various ways. Most people would remark, "Dang, don't that look jus' like that one in thet thar Trek show?" and we'd then send a shuttle up to take a closer look. I doubt we'd launch a bunch of missiles at something that is just sitting there... especially if it looks like it's a manufactured object... we'd have no idea what might happen if were were attempt to destroy it. It's debis could be explosive, or highly toxic to the atmosphere... (and as trek fans... we know what would happen if she were to lose contianment...)
We'd shoot it down, if we could.
Reminds me of one of the last lines from "The Man Who Fell To Earth"(Novel and Movie.)

Someone asked the alien if he was bitter over the horrible thigns that humans had done to him, his responce, "We probaly would have done the same to you."