The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > How did you get into Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Zardoz: well, how are your interrior decorating skills? Do you have superficial tastes in pop music, and follow shallow celebrities religiously?

If so, we might be able to work you in...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

A friend of mine introduced me to Trek when I was about 12, we watched "Heroes and Demons" together. I continued to watch reruns of VOY and later reruns of TNG, which has since then been my favourite Trek show.
I did not like DS9 at first and TOS was horribly dubbed in German, so in only got into these shows when I watched them in English a few years ago.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Zardoz: well, how are your interrior decorating skills? Do you have superficial tastes in pop music, and follow shallow celebrities religiously?

If so, we might be able to work you in...
Your really a Scinetolgist, aren't you? (kidding!)
Old 07-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

At least you didn't call me a Gorean... (them's fightin' words!)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
At least you didn't call me a Gorean... (them's fightin' words!)
Can I call you Fan?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

I watched it on syndication as a kid, but it was when I went to see The Wrath of Khan that really sealed the deal.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Sigh - I was there for the very first show in 1966. I was hooked then and there. I also went to the very first Star Trek Convention in NYC (which was Lunacon and met Gene Roddenberry and Majel) years before Creation took it over and ruined it (IMHO). In those early times, one could actually walk up to Jimmy Doohan, De Kelley, Nimoy, and company, and TALK TO THEM and get their autographs without paying a fortune in advance for them. You were seated first come - first served. You didn't have to buy "special seating" and all that junk. You spent the day amongst friends and like-minded folk who just wanted to bask in Trek. The dealers rooms were loaded with great Trek Junk and Fanzines that kept us going in the "lean years". It was - for me - "the best of times". Not to mention sharing an elevator with Gary Seven. That was FUN!!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I was just wondering how other people became trekkies/ trekkers. Mine is a long tragic tale of missed opportunities.

I wasn't allowed to watch Sci-fi when I was younger. My mum didn't like that sort of thing and since there was one TV in the house, she got to choose. So I grew up without knowledge of Star Trek, Dr Who, Star Wars or anything happening elsewhere in the galaxy.

I dated this guy who was into Star Trek and he made me watch TNG when it was first aired on TV. I got kind of into it until the episode where they do a C-section on a big alien blob floating in space and the baby thinks the enterprise is it's mum and starts draining power from it. I was put off by that one. Then Voyager started and my boyfriend thought it was a disaster having a woman captain. So I dumped him and as a result stopped watching Star Trek.

Years later I got into Torchwood cos John Barrowman is a hottie and then my friend sent me a DVD boxset of Firefly because Nathan Fillion is a hottie. I decided I quite liked the idea of schlepping around the galaxy in a space ship. So when I couldn't find anything on TV and I was off sick from work, I started watching voyager because I remembered I liked it despite ex-boyfriend. It was on season 3. Bought all the box sets and was hooked. Now working my way through DS9 and Enterprise and soon the films.

Did everyone else just grow up liking Star Trek?
I started reading at a pretty normal age of 5. I didn't have alot of things to occupy my time so one of the first things I remember doing to fill that time was to draw...not starships but cars. (mom's and dad's)

When I got bored with drawing I would want to watch TV but the TV plug was always locked up in a desk by my dad so I didn't have alot of TV to watch but when I did it was always Star Trek when the TV would be on (Father).

Meanwhile I still had to find something to do with all the spare time and I was always curious about my father's closet. It was full of books, scienfiction books of all types but mostly Star Trek Books.

I remember seing the Star Log Books 2-10. The IDIC Epidemic, The Galactic Core and even books with full color pictures of episodes like Amok Time that had comic book style dialogue bubbles.

I read those first. But there weren't alot of them so eventually...I started to read the novels by James Blish and Alan Dean Foster and one book about McCoy called the Covenant of the Crown. I remember seing Strangers From the Sky and an Odd book with a Title I couldn't prounce. It would be 15 years before I learned how to say it.

I always wanted to read it but it started off slow with things I couldn't understand about science. I was only 6 years old. To this day I still haven't read that book.

That book felt the same way other books did that I like the cover of but couldn't crack open, Like The Foundation Trilogy. For me Star Trek started as more of book thing and it has been with me ever since.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Rear Admiral

Well my mom had a crush on Kirk back in the 60's... and apparently was a minor Trekkie - going to movies, etc. SO, when I was about 6, Voyager was still in its main run (1999/2000), and she started having me watch it. I was hooked instantly. I watched it religiously, and continued my patterns with Enterprise when it came (my anticipation was HUGE!!!). My dad took me to see Nemesis (I didn't think it was so bad) and I would draw starships for fun. Eventually my mom got me the VHS collector's box set of the TOS movies, although I remember having to fast-forward through the eel scene in TWOK

Old 07-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTrek View Post
Well my mom had a crush on Kirk back in the 60's... and apparently was a minor Trekkie - going to movies, etc. SO, when I was about 6, Voyager was still in its main run (1999/2000), and she started having me watch it. I was hooked instantly. I watched it religiously, and continued my patterns with Enterprise when it came (my anticipation was HUGE!!!). My dad took me to see Nemesis (I didn't think it was so bad) and I would draw starships for fun. Eventually my mom got me the VHS collector's box set of the TOS movies, although I remember having to fast-forward through the eel scene in TWOK
I still can't watch that scene either - yuck! It reminds me of The Night Gallery episode with Laurence Harvey - "The Earwig".