The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > How did you get into Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Default How did you get into Star Trek

I was just wondering how other people became trekkies/ trekkers. Mine is a long tragic tale of missed opportunities.

I wasn't allowed to watch Sci-fi when I was younger. My mum didn't like that sort of thing and since there was one TV in the house, she got to choose. So I grew up without knowledge of Star Trek, Dr Who, Star Wars or anything happening elsewhere in the galaxy.

I dated this guy who was into Star Trek and he made me watch TNG when it was first aired on TV. I got kind of into it until the episode where they do a C-section on a big alien blob floating in space and the baby thinks the enterprise is it's mum and starts draining power from it. I was put off by that one. Then Voyager started and my boyfriend thought it was a disaster having a woman captain. So I dumped him and as a result stopped watching Star Trek.

Years later I got into Torchwood cos John Barrowman is a hottie and then my friend sent me a DVD boxset of Firefly because Nathan Fillion is a hottie. I decided I quite liked the idea of schlepping around the galaxy in a space ship. So when I couldn't find anything on TV and I was off sick from work, I started watching voyager because I remembered I liked it despite ex-boyfriend. It was on season 3. Bought all the box sets and was hooked. Now working my way through DS9 and Enterprise and soon the films.

Did everyone else just grow up liking Star Trek?

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 07-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Did everyone else just grow up liking Star Trek?
yeah, we had only two or three channels. So it was Trek or sports, and I wasn't so much in sports.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Well...we only got to watch it one night a week for three years when I was a kid...but then, it was syndicated for afternoon viewing and wow...what a field day that was.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Commander

I was 3 when Star Trek first aired. I guess you'd say I was weaned on it. Later when it went into syndication we got to watch it on Saturday night. It was part of the weekly routine. Bath, then Star Trek with homemade Chef Boyardee pizza.
I was big into model building so my parents bought me all the starship models I wanted.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Vice Admiral

I was in 7th or 8th grade and TNG reruns were coming out 5 days a week at 4pm. I would get home from school and watch every day. The new episodes would come out every Saturday night. I watched 3 or 4 seasons as they actually aired on a weekly basis. I watched "Generations" with a group of friends on opening night, and the rest is history.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Years later I got into Torchwood cos John Barrowman is a hottie
John Barrowman is also a flaming homosexual. He is almost militant in he zeal to forward the homosexual agenda.
If that's what you want, I don't really care, but don't try to force me to like it. If it is what you are then that's fine, but I don't go around trying to make everyone accept my sexual preference.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Commander

I don't remember how i got into Trek. What i do remember is i started watching TNG when it first came out. "Encounter at Farpoint" the first TNG episode was the first Star Trek episode i saw, i followed the show regularly til it ended then moved onto the Next Trek show until all Trek shows were cancelled when Enterprise was canned. Then i began looking for other Sci-fi shows made by former writers/producers of Trek, that's where i pretty much as today. So TNG got me into Trek.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
John Barrowman is also a flaming homosexual. He is almost militant in he zeal to forward the homosexual agenda.
If that's what you want, I don't really care, but don't try to force me to like it. If it is what you are then that's fine, but I don't go around trying to make everyone accept my sexual preference.
I'm confused. Are you saying she shouldn't think the guy is hot because he is gay?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Commander

I like how he pre-emptively assumes everyone's out to force the 'homosexual agenda' on him. It sounds more like paranoid, self-conscious insecurity to me...

John Barrowman is indeed hot, but since I'm not into guys there's hardly an issue of 'agenda' there. It's not like William Shatner was spearheading the 'heterosexual agenda' during his time as Kirk...

Speaking of Kirk: I originally got into Trek via my mother, who was a fan since the '70s. Next Generation is where it really got started, followed by the movies, then The Original Series and the post-TNG shows.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Commander

I was in jr high when when Star Trek IV came out, and my family dragged me to see it the weekend it (finally) came to our town (in February of 1987). They would probably regret having done that, if they remembered. I had just taped Star Wars off of CBS the weekend prior (first time I had really followed that story), and they probably wanted me out of the house after re-watching the tape half a dozen times. Or maybe they just thought it would be fun (which it was).

Our movie theater played one show a week, at 8pm on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. If it was a 'big' enough movie, they scheduled it for the following Sunday, Monday and Tuesday as well. STIV was one of the last movies to get such an encore in my town (population, 700 people).

Our KVVU-TV 5 (which I think had just recently become FOX-5) began playing Star Trek at about the same time, and I started watching that (whenever I could get the TV). I didn't always 'get' the sci-fi gimmicry or social commentary, though. But we started seeing promos for TNG that summer ("In... six... weeks... the... 24th... century... begins...").

TNG
I immediately got into. You couldn't have told me the first season actually 'sucked' next to the seasons that would follow, or that I would eventually come to despise Wesly Crusher. Or that Star Trek V 'sucked', and it was just taking me longer than everyone else to realize it.