The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Funny Expressions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Banned

Smile Funny Expressions

Preliminary question: Are paintings made by animals art?

Preliminary answer: Yes, but it should be classified as animal art.

Now on to the fun stuff about the animal artist himself/herself:

"Oh ... hi!"

http://www.tillamookcheddar.com/photos/brooke/1.jpg

"Really?"

http://www.tillamookcheddar.com/photos/brooke/6.jpg

"How fun!"

http://www.tillamookcheddar.com/photos/brooke/3.jpg

"If you know what I mean!"

http://www.tillamookcheddar.com/photos/brooke/5.jpg

All of the above were taken by Brooke Jacobs. Here's her official bio and site: http://www.brookejacobs.com/

Press about the subject of the photos, a dog who can paint:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6726901.ece

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-25-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Lieutenant Commander

The media loves stories like this. They trot them out every so often when it's a slow news day. The formula is very simple:

A chimp / dog / elephant "paints" a picture
Some asinine prose explains "you and I know this is just a scribble but..."
They bring in some poor hapless "expert" and twist their words until finally...
The conclusion where they say "Isn't the art world stupid for paying all this money for a drawing a five year old / chimp / dolphin can do" (ideally they have "fooled" the expert into saying that a scribble by a dog is the work of a genius and that it's worth millions of dollars)

The whole purpose is to knock the art world and present it as being full of pretentious idiots that every "right thinking" citizen should pour scorn on. The weird thing is people never seem to tire of this lazy journalistic device. At the end of the day artists don't kill people or actually hurt anyone at all. Most artists spend their lives trying to make beautiful things while earning heartbreakingly little money doing it.

The reality is, random marks on a canvas can indeed have decorative qualities. This is not a news story. Wassily Kandinsky in 1905 was painting abstract canvases. Journalists and art ignoramuses are not discovering something new by "debunking" abstract painting.

Last edited by Scribbler : 07-25-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
The media loves stories like this. They trot them out every so often when it's a slow news day. The formula is very simple:

A chimp / dog / elephant paints a picture
Some s******ing asinine prose basically saying "you and I know this is just a scribble but..."
Bring in some poor hapless "expert" and twist their words until finally...
The conclusion where they say "Isn't the art world stupid for paying all this money for a drawing a five year old / chimp / dolphin can do"

The whole purpose is to knock the art world and present it as being full of pretentious idiots that every "right thinking" citizen should pour scorn on. The weird thing is people never seem to tire of this lazy journalistic device.
Why would the world of journalism be able to do this unless certain artists are complicit in this misunderstanding, by creating "art" that they probably know is actually crap?

By the way, animal art can have a beauty all its own.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Why would the world of journalism be able to do this unless certain artists are complicit in this misunderstanding, by creating "art" that they probably know is actually crap?

By the way, animal art can have a beauty all its own.
I know animal art can have a beauty all its own. Any random stuff can (I said so in my post five seconds ago - sorry it was an edit - you probably didn't read it). The world of journalism steadfastly ignores all of the wonderful and technically accomplished work which is produced every day because for some bizarre reason they would much rather portray all artists as pretentious conmen. Some artists are pretentious conmen of course. Are you suggesting that art only deserves a fair press if every single practitioner in the world produces brilliantly accomplished realistic work? No other profession is held to such a high standard.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
I know animal art can have a beauty all its own. Any random stuff can (I said so in my post five seconds ago - sorry it was an edit - you probably didn't read it). The world of journalism steadfastly ignores all of the wonderful and technically accomplished work which is produced every day because for some bizarre reason they would much rather portray all artists as pretentious conmen. Some artists are pretentious conmen of course. Are you suggesting that art only deserves a fair press if every single practitioner in the world produces brilliantly accomplished realistic work? No other profession is held to such a high standard.
But no other profession glorifies what appears to be simplistic spasms of muscle. I think someone mentioned Pollock's work by referring to the throwing of paint streams on canvas. I think that it was said that what results shouldn't be considered art. Is he not considered a great artist by many artists?

It would be as if officers who hang out at donut shops all day long are held up by police unions as great defenders of the law.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
But no other profession glorifies what appears to be simplistic spasms of muscle. I think someone mentioned Pollock's work by referring to the throwing of paint streams on canvas. I think that it was said that what results shouldn't be considered art. Is he not considered a great artist by many artists?

It would be as if officers who hang out at donut shops all day long are held up by police unions as great defenders of the law.
Have you ever tried to make an original abstract painting? If you think it's easy, please make one and post it on this forum. I would be very interested to see how you get on.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I have observed many times on this forum, criticising art is much easier than making it.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Have you ever tried to make an original abstract painting? If you think it's easy, please make one and post it on this forum. I would be very interested to see how you get on.
Well, I do know how to throw paint streams on canvas. I can even make an artistic face while doing so. Is there more to it?

I do know that certain abstract art can be quite difficult, and I am not necessarily referring to that form of art as actually garbage. Far from it.

Also, can we talk about the pictures of the funny dog? The photographer who took those images was a genius!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Well, I do know how to throw paint streams on canvas. I can even make an artistic face while doing so. Is there more to it?

I do know that certain abstract art can be quite difficult, and I am not necessarily referring to that form of art as actually garbage. Far from it.
Talking is not the same as doing. It is much harder to make a credible abstract painting than you may think. I strongly urge you to try it. For a low price you can obtain a canvas and some paint. You then apply your mind and your body to create something which didn't exist before. Try it for yourself and you will see. Will you do that?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Talking is not the same as doing. It is much harder to make a credible abstract painting than you may think. I strongly urge you to try it. For a low price you can obtain a canvas and some paint. You then apply your mind and your body to create something which didn't exist before. Try it for yourself and you will see. Will you do that?
What makes you think I haven't created art?

What makes you think that if I actually hadn't, and did so, and found it difficult, I would disagree with you that some art is truly art?

Would that mean that all "art" is difficult? Hardly. Some "art" is easy -- and I would argue, so easy that it really isn't art. But it isn't just that it's easy -- it's also that it defies any reasonable standard by which to call it art.

I think you believe I think that all art is easy. It isn't. Far from it. I never claimed that it was. In fact, I think that art is most often quite difficult. But certain things that pass for art are easy. Why couldn't this be true?

Saying that certain things shouldn't be considered art doesn't devalue art. To the contrary -- it elevates it as a serious endeavor.

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-25-2009 at 10:10 AM.