The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Mars Landing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: We Will Land Space Travelers on Mars
Within twenty years. 4 20.00%
Within twenty-five years. 3 15.00%
Within thirty years. 4 20.00%
Within fifty years. 8 40.00%
Never. 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Commander

I say 40 years. Mars can wait, let's go back to the moon and set up a scientific colony and Lunar space station before going all the way to Mars.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Lieutenant

I chose within 50 years for lack of a 'more than 50' option. While I think we will eventually send someone to Mars, it will be more than 50 years from now. With our economy, I don't see most major nations spending the $$ required to develop several generations of technology needed to send men there and back safely and in a timely manner....and I do not think that should be our focus, at the moment, unfortunately.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Commander

There is definitely a school of thought abounding at NASA today that says that the risk to human life is too great, and the cost is too high to put man into space. There is one Dr. in particular who has gone to the length to write a book on the "real" science of NASA, and how manned spaceflight is not part of the real science.
He contends that all we are doing on the ISS is sending men up to sit around and do nothing.
Personally I would like to think that we will get to Mars someday in the near future, but given the state of our economy, and the multitude of conflicts we find ourselves embroiled in, it is doubtful that we will ever see the surface of the red planet with our own eyes.

Perhaps something will happen to shock this world into realizing that our petty arguements over one piece of land or another, over one belief and another are trite. But this behavior is human nature. It's been this way since Cain slew Abel. I doubt it'll get better anytime soon.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
There is definitely a school of thought abounding at NASA today that says that the risk to human life is too great, and the cost is too high to put man into space. There is one Dr. in particular who has gone to the length to write a book on the "real" science of NASA, and how manned spaceflight is not part of the real science.
He contends that all we are doing on the ISS is sending men up to sit around and do nothing.
Personally I would like to think that we will get to Mars someday in the near future, but given the state of our economy, and the multitude of conflicts we find ourselves embroiled in, it is doubtful that we will ever see the surface of the red planet with our own eyes.

Perhaps something will happen to shock this world into realizing that our petty arguements over one piece of land or another, over one belief and another are trite. But this behavior is human nature. It's been this way since Cain slew Abel. I doubt it'll get better anytime soon.
I'm getting tired of waiting for NASA to get it together. I hope that a renewed sense of competition -- friendly competition, this time -- will help inspire mankind toward the stars once again.

Cooperation is fine, but it seems lately to have gotten us going around in circles. Literally.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Admiral

I said within 20, though, to be honest, I'm not sure Mars is the next most likely target for "humans walking around"...I would put my money on Io for that. I think NASA is firmly committed to the idea of a working colony on the moon within 20 years and it just seems to me that the next project would be started by that time...

I do agree that we've gotten a bit soft...in the old days, death was part of the price we paid for gaining information. Now, that's not acceptable.

While I applaud the efforts NASA makes to prevent repetitions of events that ended in death, I think that the mindset has shifted and now people are not just sad that astronauts died...they are appalled. And that makes no sense to me.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
You need to add another option that says "more than 50".
Yep. We'll all be long dead before it happens. We're just now planning a return to our own moon. We'll probably send some more robots to Mars first. If we're still here, I'm thinking a human will take his/her first steps on Mars around 2100.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Yep. We'll all be long dead before it happens. We're just now planning a return to our own moon. We'll probably send some more robots to Mars first. If we're still here, I'm thinking a human will take his/her first steps on Mars around 2100.
We'd better hope the theory of metempsychosis is true, then, if we want to witness it.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think we'll be on Mars within the next 20 years. I think we have to consider rising populations and dwindling resources here on Earth. There's no where else to go and plenty of real estate out there. It makes sense that our destiny does lie out there.... We'll eventually have to take another one of those "giant leaps" . I'd like to see world cooperation in the effort. But of all the tax dollars my country throws around - I'd much rather it be on the Space Program than just about anything else.