The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Best Art
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

Default Best Art

On the subject of art, which is the topic of discussion in a concurrent thread, what's the best art you've ever seen? I'd have to say European art of the 1500's and 1600's or so.

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-24-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned

Smile

Perhaps controversially these days, there are some who believe that art should aspire to a higher calling than merely what some artists believe to be its own sake.

B. John Zavrel ventures,

Quote:
Great art is more than a treat for the eye or a tonic for the spirit. Truly great art is an expression of the innermost soul of a people: an expression of that people's yearnings and ideals, of its deepest hopes and joys, of its meaning and purpose.

Is there anything which Americans need more today than a renewed sense of purpose in their lives? Our forefathers in Europe strove to uplift themselves and their people to new levels of greatness. The best of them saw their purpose as the elevation of man, and they were often able to inspire their fellows with the same feeling of purpose. In America today there seems to be little, if any, sense of purpose beyond the individual accumulation of material wealth and the pursuit of pleasure. This aimlessness has taken an enormous toll, not only in lives destroyed by drugs and alcohol, but even more in the degeneration of our national life.

Today the great standards which guided us in the past have been ridiculed, belittled, and torn down. This is true of art, which in turning to modernism has lost all meaning for the American majority, and it is true of most other aspects of our social and cultural life. In view of this it is hardly surprising that so many of our young people are leading confusing lives and are looking to the future without hope.
However, this need not be the only definition of the best art.

Source: http://www.meaus.com/greatArt.html
Old 07-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Admiral

I don't think that's easily defined. I think Eraserhead is great art, but could I then say "indie movies of the 80s" as the definition of the best art? No.

I have a personal affection for DaVinci's notebooks...I consider them high art.

More to your post, I do love the Dutch masters...but...I also love Andy Warhol....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Perhaps controversially these days, there are some who believe that art should aspire to a higher calling than merely what some artists believe to be its own sake.

B. John Zavrel ventures,

However, this need not be the only definition of the best art.

Source: http://www.meaus.com/greatArt.html
I disagree with the statement of Mr.Zavrel. We Europeans might have produced great works of art, but we also had facism in abundance. High ranking nazis were often well-educated, seemingly civilized men who read literature, went to the theatre or the opera, listened to classical music ... and for a living they stole and killed.
In other words, a culture in which people aim for the highest yet reach the lowest, a culture where public and private life, job and art/entertainment are neatly seperated.
Or let's pick a fictional figure, Hanibal Lecter. He fascinates us because of the very same rift, a highly educated and well-mannered gentleman who kills and eats other human beings.

I'd rather have something to do with a regular dude or dudette who reads comic books and watches Hollywood blockbusters than with the Lecter or nazi type.

Furthermore, what about l'art pour l'art, decadent writers like Oscar Wilde? Is this bad art because it serves no higher educational or moral purpose?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Commander

I'm surprised Andy Warhol never got done for copyright violation!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oddly enough, some of the art I really love the best has been classic "fantasy art" designs, involving moonlit scenes with wolves, dolphins, unicorns, dragons, etc. And "space theme" art. That stuff is amazing!!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Furthermore, what about l'art pour l'art, decadent writers like Oscar Wilde? Is this bad art because it serves no higher educational or moral purpose?

Are you kidding ? Wilde for all people serves the highest educational or moral purposes

Old 07-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Andy Warhol was brought up on copyright charges and the courts decided that it was "found art"..it was out there for everyone to see so it could be used. As long as he did not replicate it exactly he could use it...and Warhol never replicated exactly.

I've mentioned elsewhere that Warhol decreed in his will that those who got to go to his school on scholarship would have to evidence ability in traditional art. He valued the ability to draw and/or paint an accurate picture. He considered it a basis for expanding one's artistic vision.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Commander

I posted on this thread last night. I didn't use any curse words that I was aware of, nor did my post break any board rule that I know of, and yet, for some odd reason, my post has dissapeared. So I'll try it again.

I cannot make up my mind. There is so much wonderful art from every period throughout history, that it's extremely difficult to point to any certain period and say, yep, that's the best period for art there ever was. From the beautiful statues of ancient Greece and Rome, to Michelangelo, Da Vinci and down to Gaugin and Van Gogh, from beautiful medieval books that took centuries for monks to decorate and fill with elaborate calligraphy, to Roman mosaics and down to modern fantasy artists like Boris Vallejo and Frank Frazetta, there is so much artistic beauty to appreciate, how can you just say that one century or period was better than the next? I even appreciate prehistoric cave paintings since whenever I try to draw anything it usually turns out looking a lot like them. To tell you the truth, I even like seeing the drawings posted by kindergarteners and first graders that get posted in the local paper. However, I don't like, nor ever shall I like nor appreciate the kind of art where some fool just gets some paint on his brush and throws a drop or a dribble on a canvas until he's created an unintelligible, ridiculous mess that resembles nothing more than a plate of food thrown on a restaurant floor by a fit throwing toddler. I refuse to admit that that kind of drivel is, has, or ever will be art. A spastic monkey with the hives could make something as interesting as that on the forest floor with a handful of his own excrement.

Last edited by MonsieurHood : 07-24-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
On the subject of art, which is the topic of discussion in a concurrent thread, what's the best art you've ever seen? I'd have to say European art of the 1500's and 1600's or so.
Best art I've seen. Well here are a few of my favorites, artists that is:

Joseph Turner
Georgia O'Keeffe
Henry Monet
Renoir
Van Gogh
Paul Klee
Picasso
Raphael
Davinci
Michaelangelo
Degas
Cezanne
Joan Miro
Salvador Dali
Gauguin
Max Ernst
Giotto

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 07-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
If you look at the sheer skill of the artists who made the last Harry Potter movie, we really are in an age of amazing technical accomplishment. Artists have always followed the money. In the old days it was the church, now it's the entertainment industry.

A few favourites of mine:

Egon Schiele
Kathe Kollwitz
John Singer Sargent
Edgar Degas
Adolph Menzel
Bernini
Frank Brangwyn
Hugh Ferris
Frederick Varley
Zuburan

(entertainment industry):

NC Wyeth
Norman Rockwell
Iain McCaig
Alex Ross

Last edited by Scribbler : 07-25-2009 at 02:24 AM.