The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Rendering the Enterprise - NCC-1701A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

My GOD...so sexy!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
My GOD...so sexy!
I know - I'm going a tinge green with envy! FI came up with a good model.

That was done what 9 years ago, so think what could be done with the latest software and hardware. I'd love to see the Enterprise rendered to todays standards for a Bluray release.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Following VC's concerns about the length of the neck and the width of the torpedo bay, I run off a top, front and side view to compare against the Foundation Imaging model renders over at Drex Files.

There is very little difference in the neck length, but the bay width does vary. FI's model appears to use a narrower, more square bay compared to the Bailey model. Looking at a screen capture of the Enterprise in space dock, I think the Bailey model looks better.

Below are some radiosity-only renders including one using the same camera as my first shot on page one. I'd be interested to know where you think the Bailey model has problems.

Last edited by The Science Officer : 08-16-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

You should make some wallpapers (nebulae in the background or so)

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 08-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I'll do one with a nebula one day, but here is one with Earth composited into the background. I think Samuel was interested in what the model would look like against Earth.

I looked at some space shuttle images to work out the balance of earthlight to sunlight and it's kind of right. There's a little too much detail washed out on the secondary hull.

This is primarily done using radiosity and one single light to help represent sunlight. To help keep the render times down, all lights on the Enterprise are disabled. As I have saved this off as a multi-channel PSD file, I can concentrate on the model lighting without having to re-render everything. I'm hoping to tweak this image in the near future.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

In my previous render I noticed that I had a blue deflector dish and warp grille. In the TMP, the deflector dish is orange and the grille black at sub-light speeds - I can't recall this happening in TWOK onwards when ILM were involved.

I have rendered the alternate colours and composited them into my previous image.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Good work Science Officer. Before anyone goes mental, I'm going to give my professional opinion on the render - I'm not being negative or failing to accord Science Officer respect, just giving him some tips on some specifics in the render without peppering it with smileys and "that's awesome man"..the intention is to help and give feedback..ok?

For me this is a bit over-exposed, both in the highlight areas and also in the bounce light. Were it me I would darken it right down and look at pushing the specular highlighting on some of the plates to give a little more variation on the surface. I would look at the green stripes too, I find the colour a little unrelated - the green, the blue of the large windows on the side and the deflector dish seem to come from very different palettes. Just a personal thing but I would get a better planet picture too. Nice work though. Good luck with it.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
Good work Science Officer. Before anyone goes mental, I'm going to give my professional opinion on the render - I'm not being negative or failing to accord Science Officer respect, just giving him some tips on some specifics in the render without peppering it with smileys and "that's awesome man"..the intention is to help and give feedback..ok?

For me this is a bit over-exposed, both in the highlight areas and also in the bounce light. Were it me I would darken it right down and look at pushing the specular highlighting on some of the plates to give a little more variation on the surface. I would look at the green stripes too, I find the colour a little unrelated - the green, the blue of the large windows on the side and the deflector dish seem to come from very different palettes. Just a personal thing but I would get a better planet picture too. Nice work though. Good luck with it.
Hi Scribbler,

Thanks for the comments - they are always welcome. The render has come out a little lighter than I'd hoped for, but not that much. The Enterprise is meant to be in full sunlight and consequently there would be a lot of bounced earthilght too. My aim was to get the sunlight/earth light balance close to this image of the space shuttle.

Obviously the shuttle uses ceramic tiles and heat blankets rather than a metal hull and therefore the surface is more diffuse than reflective, so the materials on the model need work in this respect.

The windows have had very little done to them and look bad. I simply added a fresnel shader to change the illumination depending on the angle to the camera. Ideally I need to add reflections and add some interior details.

The engineering green textures are over-saturated and will need toning down a bit.

Still, the Earth orbit picture feels like a step forward over my previous attempts.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

vERY GOOD.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Science Officer View Post
Hi Scribbler,

Thanks for the comments - they are always welcome. The render has come out a little lighter than I'd hoped for, but not that much. The Enterprise is meant to be in full sunlight and consequently there would be a lot of bounced earthilght too. My aim was to get the sunlight/earth light balance close to this image of the space shuttle.

Obviously the shuttle uses ceramic tiles and heat blankets rather than a metal hull and therefore the surface is more diffuse than reflective, so the materials on the model need work in this respect.

The windows have had very little done to them and look bad. I simply added a fresnel shader to change the illumination depending on the angle to the camera. Ideally I need to add reflections and add some interior details.

The engineering green textures are over-saturated and will need toning down a bit.

Still, the Earth orbit picture feels like a step forward over my previous attempts.
I can see from the shuttle reference what look you're going for, it makes sense. I undertand the shuttle is basically made of dirty white tiles, I agree with you that the metal of the Enterprise would be a more reflective surface. I guess it's just an aesthetic choice, I'm never as keen on the really bright incarnations of the Enterprise myself. I did notice the reflected earthlight was really blue in your shuttle ref, I kind of liked that - I suppose you could try picking that up on some of the surfaces where the normal is at 90 degrees to the earth. I guess it's just personal taste, I'm not really talking about realism or correctness, just what I would do to the render if it were mine. Are you planning on doing any post on it to make it less sharp and perfect?
I don't know if you've noticed but there's a really distinctive degraded edge quality which photography of real objects gives you..I was intrigued to see you had a fresnel shader on there - to be honest the materials all look very flat and lambert-like, I wonder if you're going a bit subtle? Good work though. I'll look forward to seeing updates.