The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Best/worst acting in the feature films (plus DS9, VOY if you want)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gennarelli View Post
William Shatner's "acting" has taken so much "criticism" over the years that he is now officially considered underrated, IMHO.
He brought so much charm, charisma and heart to the original show and to the feature films. If Shatner hadn't stayed in good shape and kept himself youthful looking as he was in the early 80's, the Star Trek movies and all of the subsequent spinoffs never would have happened.
Nimoy was equally awesome as Spock was as important to the series as Kirk was.
DeForest Kelley always rang true in all of his appearances. He brought a ton of heart and true emotion to the Trek films.
The other 4 original cast members were hammy at best and rarely had any opportunities to show what they could do. Jimmy Doohan's best acting was probably in the TNG episode.
But getting back to Shatner...Kirk is one of the all time great characters in TV/Film history...Denny Crane is now also a lesser but unforgettable character that Bill was able to bring to life. The only thing Shatner hasn't done that he should go after is an Oscar. If he could find the right project I bet he could be up for an Oscar.
Shatner is a fine actor but he hardly better than any of the other six ones. One should not mistake script and performance, Takei played very well once he actually got something to do in TUC as did Koenig in the only show that centered on his character, New Voyages' "To Serve All My Days". Nimoy's superior acting skills should be obvious.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Commander

I tend to like the acting overall. Often it's tempting to criticise a performance based on one's dislike of a character or story, which is unfortunate.

But anyway - the single, most outstanding moment of awkward, unbelievable acting for me comes in The Motion Picture. Spock returns to the bridge, and Sulu declares - in the flattest, most unexpressive monotone "Why. Why it's mister..."
He's meant to be astonished at seeing his respected colleague and friend again after all these years, but it comes across as anything but

Also, one other thing - it's not technically bad acting, but bad characterisation. At the end of The Voyage Home, when the crew has escaped the thinking Bird of Prey and are celebrating the Probe's departure, they begin flocking in the ocean. Spock's reluctant, but after a few seconds he's grinning openly. This can be read in two ways: either Spock's human side came to the fore in a brief moment of unadulterated happiness, or Mr Nimoy was simply enjoying himself enough that he took a small indulgence of slipping out of character.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Lieutenant

Just watched Encounter at Farpoint again - contender for worst acting has to be Tasha Yar's tirade against Q in the courtroom. Emphasis on all the wrong words for a start:

"I grew up in a place that allowed things like this COURT!"

Just awful.

Worf - "Die."
Old 10-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Federation Councillor

I always felt myself that Marina Sirtis came off worst in 'Farpoint' due to pretty insubstantial and repetitive dialogue.

Although Crosby is a bit over-earnest in that scene.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Getting back to Shatner, I think people forget in this age of the anti-hero, post James Dean, it is harder than you think to play a legitimate hero and have it resonate with the audience.
Shatner was able to do that in multiple roles for pretty much the length of his career. Sure he has played Denny and some other characters that have been closer to the dark side, but all in all, give Bill some points for being an Iconic hero when there were so few of them in TV or film.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gennarelli View Post
Getting back to Shatner, I think people forget in this age of the anti-hero, post James Dean, it is harder than you think to play a legitimate hero and have it resonate with the audience.
Shatner was able to do that in multiple roles for pretty much the length of his career. Sure he has played Denny and some other characters that have been closer to the dark side, but all in all, give Bill some points for being an Iconic hero when there were so few of them in TV or film.
I think it is safe to say that TOS wouldn't have been a success without decent acting of the main three and chemistry between them and I doubt that it would have worked with a more conventional captain like Hunter's Pike.

But it's not like Shatner was the outstanding actor of the show like Stewart in TNG.

Shat hate and Shat hype are a bit extreme for my taste, the truth is somewhere in the middle IMO.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Commander

Shatner had a great skill on skirting between the border of parody and good acting, was always fun to watch and brought Kirk to life in a way I don't think Hunter could have done as Pike (though like Horatio says Pike was more conventional so probably would have been more realistic - but in my opinion probably less memorable)

[/quote]Shatner is a fine actor but he hardly better than any of the other six ones.[quote]

Good point, a big shame the other cast members got significantly underused, Sulu and Chekov may as well have not been in SFS or FF
Old 10-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Good point, a big shame the other cast members got significantly underused, Sulu and Chekov may as well have not been in SFS or FF
In this respect ST09 was perfect, never before did all of the seven have their moments in one episode/movie.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:17 AM
Federation Councillor

I think the closest they did prior to that was perhaps in TUC - which as the final adventure was likely. Even at that, I don't think Chekov got a lot to do in that film so it still didn't quite cover anyone.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Federation Councillor

Agreed, TFF was horrid...