The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Best/worst acting in the feature films (plus DS9, VOY if you want)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Well, he did little and was bland with it.
I get what you're saying, but at times he seemed like a breath of fresh air amongst all the recycled plots and stories centered around The Doctor and Seven.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
What was bad about Beltran? The only actors-who-act-like-in-a-fan-production I know are the stars of Harry Potter...
Just compare Picardo who played a minor character into the foreground and Beltran who bit**ed about not getting more screen time.
So what have we learned today? Don't complain but work harder.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-17-2009, 11:44 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I get what you're saying, but at times he seemed like a breath of fresh air amongst all the recycled plots and stories centered around The Doctor and Seven.
Until he became part of it with the whole romance!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Ryan herself was fine, but they just put characters together because they decided to, without considering who worked.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-18-2009, 06:32 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Until he became part of it with the whole romance!
Indeed. I've watched Voyager in such a fragmentary way, that I can hardly tell what came where. Most of what I see is the same plot as a previous episode or at least follows very closely.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Roysten's Avatar
Roysten Roysten is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Indeed. I've watched Voyager in such a fragmentary way, that I can hardly tell what came where. Most of what I see is the same plot as a previous episode or at least follows very closely.
Coming after several hundred episodes of Trek Voyager sadly followed a regular formula which made several episodes give viewers a feeling of Deja Vu when watching them. This wasn't the actors fault obviously and often they tried to make the most of poor, unoriginal material, especially true of Picardo and Mulgrew in my opinion.

Beltran was unlucky to get Indian rituals as a major theme to a fair few of his episodes which was rarely interesting, though it's reminiscent of Worf having Klingon rituals and tradition eps back in TNG, comparing the two, Worf always had more presence and gravitas than Chakotay ever had.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Steve Gennarelli Steve Gennarelli is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 112
Default

William Shatner's "acting" has taken so much "criticism" over the years that he is now officially considered underrated, IMHO.
He brought so much charm, charisma and heart to the original show and to the feature films. If Shatner hadn't stayed in good shape and kept himself youthful looking as he was in the early 80's, the Star Trek movies and all of the subsequent spinoffs never would have happened.
Nimoy was equally awesome as Spock was as important to the series as Kirk was.
DeForest Kelley always rang true in all of his appearances. He brought a ton of heart and true emotion to the Trek films.
The other 4 original cast members were hammy at best and rarely had any opportunities to show what they could do. Jimmy Doohan's best acting was probably in the TNG episode.
But getting back to Shatner...Kirk is one of the all time great characters in TV/Film history...Denny Crane is now also a lesser but unforgettable character that Bill was able to bring to life. The only thing Shatner hasn't done that he should go after is an Oscar. If he could find the right project I bet he could be up for an Oscar.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Coming after several hundred episodes of Trek Voyager sadly followed a regular formula which made several episodes give viewers a feeling of Deja Vu when watching them. This wasn't the actors fault obviously and often they tried to make the most of poor, unoriginal material, especially true of Picardo and Mulgrew in my opinion.

Beltran was unlucky to get Indian rituals as a major theme to a fair few of his episodes which was rarely interesting, though it's reminiscent of Worf having Klingon rituals and tradition eps back in TNG, comparing the two, Worf always had more presence and gravitas than Chakotay ever had.
Yeah, I would agree with most of that.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gennarelli View Post
William Shatner's "acting" has taken so much "criticism" over the years that he is now officially considered underrated, IMHO.
He brought so much charm, charisma and heart to the original show and to the feature films. If Shatner hadn't stayed in good shape and kept himself youthful looking as he was in the early 80's, the Star Trek movies and all of the subsequent spinoffs never would have happened.
Nimoy was equally awesome as Spock was as important to the series as Kirk was.
DeForest Kelley always rang true in all of his appearances. He brought a ton of heart and true emotion to the Trek films.
The other 4 original cast members were hammy at best and rarely had any opportunities to show what they could do. Jimmy Doohan's best acting was probably in the TNG episode.
But getting back to Shatner...Kirk is one of the all time great characters in TV/Film history...Denny Crane is now also a lesser but unforgettable character that Bill was able to bring to life. The only thing Shatner hasn't done that he should go after is an Oscar. If he could find the right project I bet he could be up for an Oscar.
Shatner was a binge eater and would go on crash diets for film roles, he's tlaked about it extensively over the years.

Shatner is really a one tirck pony, look at all his acting jobs until Boston Legal, he just plays Kirk over and over....TJ Hooker, Kirk with a badge for example.

DeForest had long been a charater actor in big films, and actually his career was winding down when Trek came along.

Nimoy too was a charater actor of long standing and was teaching acting when the role of Spock came down the pike.

Jimmy Doohan had a career that started in radio shows back in the 40's in Canada, and did minor tv roles until Trek.

Denny Crane was an easy acting job for Shatner, he just had to be Shat. By all accounts what you saw onsceen was shatner...just being Shatner.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.