The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Best/worst acting in the feature films (plus DS9, VOY if you want)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Well, he did little and was bland with it.
I get what you're saying, but at times he seemed like a breath of fresh air amongst all the recycled plots and stories centered around The Doctor and Seven.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
What was bad about Beltran? The only actors-who-act-like-in-a-fan-production I know are the stars of Harry Potter...
Just compare Picardo who played a minor character into the foreground and Beltran who bit**ed about not getting more screen time.
So what have we learned today? Don't complain but work harder.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I get what you're saying, but at times he seemed like a breath of fresh air amongst all the recycled plots and stories centered around The Doctor and Seven.
Until he became part of it with the whole romance!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Ryan herself was fine, but they just put characters together because they decided to, without considering who worked.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Until he became part of it with the whole romance!
Indeed. I've watched Voyager in such a fragmentary way, that I can hardly tell what came where. Most of what I see is the same plot as a previous episode or at least follows very closely.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Indeed. I've watched Voyager in such a fragmentary way, that I can hardly tell what came where. Most of what I see is the same plot as a previous episode or at least follows very closely.
Coming after several hundred episodes of Trek Voyager sadly followed a regular formula which made several episodes give viewers a feeling of Deja Vu when watching them. This wasn't the actors fault obviously and often they tried to make the most of poor, unoriginal material, especially true of Picardo and Mulgrew in my opinion.

Beltran was unlucky to get Indian rituals as a major theme to a fair few of his episodes which was rarely interesting, though it's reminiscent of Worf having Klingon rituals and tradition eps back in TNG, comparing the two, Worf always had more presence and gravitas than Chakotay ever had.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

William Shatner's "acting" has taken so much "criticism" over the years that he is now officially considered underrated, IMHO.
He brought so much charm, charisma and heart to the original show and to the feature films. If Shatner hadn't stayed in good shape and kept himself youthful looking as he was in the early 80's, the Star Trek movies and all of the subsequent spinoffs never would have happened.
Nimoy was equally awesome as Spock was as important to the series as Kirk was.
DeForest Kelley always rang true in all of his appearances. He brought a ton of heart and true emotion to the Trek films.
The other 4 original cast members were hammy at best and rarely had any opportunities to show what they could do. Jimmy Doohan's best acting was probably in the TNG episode.
But getting back to Shatner...Kirk is one of the all time great characters in TV/Film history...Denny Crane is now also a lesser but unforgettable character that Bill was able to bring to life. The only thing Shatner hasn't done that he should go after is an Oscar. If he could find the right project I bet he could be up for an Oscar.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Coming after several hundred episodes of Trek Voyager sadly followed a regular formula which made several episodes give viewers a feeling of Deja Vu when watching them. This wasn't the actors fault obviously and often they tried to make the most of poor, unoriginal material, especially true of Picardo and Mulgrew in my opinion.

Beltran was unlucky to get Indian rituals as a major theme to a fair few of his episodes which was rarely interesting, though it's reminiscent of Worf having Klingon rituals and tradition eps back in TNG, comparing the two, Worf always had more presence and gravitas than Chakotay ever had.
Yeah, I would agree with most of that.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gennarelli View Post
William Shatner's "acting" has taken so much "criticism" over the years that he is now officially considered underrated, IMHO.
He brought so much charm, charisma and heart to the original show and to the feature films. If Shatner hadn't stayed in good shape and kept himself youthful looking as he was in the early 80's, the Star Trek movies and all of the subsequent spinoffs never would have happened.
Nimoy was equally awesome as Spock was as important to the series as Kirk was.
DeForest Kelley always rang true in all of his appearances. He brought a ton of heart and true emotion to the Trek films.
The other 4 original cast members were hammy at best and rarely had any opportunities to show what they could do. Jimmy Doohan's best acting was probably in the TNG episode.
But getting back to Shatner...Kirk is one of the all time great characters in TV/Film history...Denny Crane is now also a lesser but unforgettable character that Bill was able to bring to life. The only thing Shatner hasn't done that he should go after is an Oscar. If he could find the right project I bet he could be up for an Oscar.
Shatner was a binge eater and would go on crash diets for film roles, he's tlaked about it extensively over the years.

Shatner is really a one tirck pony, look at all his acting jobs until Boston Legal, he just plays Kirk over and over....TJ Hooker, Kirk with a badge for example.

DeForest had long been a charater actor in big films, and actually his career was winding down when Trek came along.

Nimoy too was a charater actor of long standing and was teaching acting when the role of Spock came down the pike.

Jimmy Doohan had a career that started in radio shows back in the 40's in Canada, and did minor tv roles until Trek.

Denny Crane was an easy acting job for Shatner, he just had to be Shat. By all accounts what you saw onsceen was shatner...just being Shatner.