The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Harry Potter movie - Half-Blood Prince
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Harry Potter movie - Half-Blood Prince

I have to say I was disappointed in the newest Harry Potter movie. I loved this book and felt the movie diverted and trashed some of the most important scenes.I don't know if I would have enjoyed the movie more had I not read the book. I think it would have been incomprehensible.

Doesn't bode well for the final installments.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

This movie was indeed slower and more character driven, but I personally found it as enjoyable as any other HP movie.

Yes, there were definitely some cool elements missing in the adaptation, but it didn't overly detract from my enjoyment.

As for it not boding well for the final HP movies, well if this movie is so well received (and it is, both critically and commercially) then the final two films oughtta be slam bang.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Vice Admiral

I don't get too mad when things get left out, but putting in an attack on a place that isn't attacked in the book? Feh.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Admiral

I liked it quite a bit...my review is here.

Things had to be cut. There was no way they could get it all in....they kept what was needed to tell the story and gave us some very fun character moments.

Does it bode ill or good for the next movies? I don't know. The final book is, in my opinion, not good. Breaking it into two movies might let them make more sense of it....but unless they decide to really re-write Snape...well...suckiness is on the horizon.

Alan Rickman is so good as Snape that maybe we can hope the character's inherit intelligence will come through....but wow....it's going to be tough.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Jer, you posted while I was composing. What attack are you talking about?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Vice Admiral

I thought there was an attack on the Burrow in this movie? I haven't seen it yet, but I don't care about spoilers.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Admiral

It's the attack that was described in the 7th book. As the literary series is complete, I don't fault the director for taking things out of turn, just as Peter Jackson did with The Lord of the Rings.

To me, it looks like we will not be subjected to Bill and Fleur's wedding in the next movies. That's a plus in my book. I do, however, wonder how the escape from Malfoy Manor will happen if Fleur and Bill are never married....

Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Federation Councillor

I think the HP film suffer from the reality that, for the most part, the amount of detail in the books simply can't be replicated on film.

Rowling isn't the best writer, and exceedingly guilty of excess and apparent inability to edit herself in her later books, (HPB would have been a much better book if a little more of book 7 had made it into it - to which I refer to the romantic relationships. We all knew from about book 4 who was going to end up with who, that should have been settled by book 6. It would have allowed book 7 to focus on closing the main threads).

In that sense, the films, while pretty good on their own - they can't really be compared fully to the books they came from.

The films are more a whistle-stop tour of the main events. As such, the 'little' things that actually make the books so fun, invariably get weeded out.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Here's my standpoint on Harry Potter overall. The first three books were ingenious, but the first three films were not that good. The fourth and fifth books plummeted in quality level, while I found the fourth and fifth movies to be far superior to their literary counterparts, and very enjoyable films. I have not read the sixth or seventh books, nor have I seen the sixth film. Since I have not read the sixth book, perhaps I will find the sixth film more enjoyable. Indeed, since this will be my first Harry Potter movie based on a book I've never even read, perhaps I will understand why the abysmal first films were so successful. Maybe it was because no one who liked them had actually read the books.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 07-23-2009, 03:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Well the films are as good as they could be. Nobody wants to sit though a 4-5 hour movie, and it would take that long for most of the books to tell it properly on screen.

If you hadn't read the books, I could see where the films would be alot more enjoyable.