The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Old Things
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Admiral

I'm about to take a 486 compaq laptop running windows 3.11 for workbooks to the electronics recycling place. I'll also be taking an old ink-jet printer (I think it's a canon bj-10). Not old in comparison to a 1950's vacuum but old for a computer. Shame the screen is a bit dodgy as it would do someone fro word processing.

I also have an old box camera from my granny's house and a book which is from the 1840s on Robert Burns which I am about to ebay. So soon I'll have no old stuff in my apartment - apart from myself.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I'm about to take a 486 compaq laptop running windows 3.11 for workbooks to the electronics recycling place. I'll also be taking an old ink-jet printer (I think it's a canon bj-10). Not old in comparison to a 1950's vacuum but old for a computer. Shame the screen is a bit dodgy as it would do someone fro word processing.

I also have an old box camera from my granny's house and a book which is from the 1840s on Robert Burns which I am about to ebay. So soon I'll have no old stuff in my apartment - apart from myself.
Hah! I got you beat. I have an IBM XT clone in my closet with 5" floppy drive and it still works! I get it out for nostalgia once in a while and play games not seen by mortal man since the late 1980's. I can still play the old D&D game where your character is an X and that old Adventure text game and CGA TREK if anyone remembers that.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:49 AM
Banned

I remember when computers ran off paper tapes -- tapes made of paper. I don't have anything from those times, but what an incredibly different era that was.

Some decades ago one of my friends had access to a Tandy Color Computer back when it first came out. That was considered quite a marvel.

It's annoying to think how much time has passed since then.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Ditto machine.