The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why Kill Off Spock's Mother?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I think we'll see Spock blubbering like a baby in the next movie. He's too tightly wound!
he did a lot in TOS anyway - it's why ssome girlies like him
Old 07-20-2009, 02:40 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Vulcans have been portrayed in various ways throughout Trek, sometimes being almost completely emotionless, and sometimes having emotions just under the surface being suppressed through discipline, but still visible. The basic idea, that they are suppressing their emotions, is the same in both. However I find that when the approach is taken where you can see that hint of emotion, suppressed anger or annoyance or amusment are often the ones shown, the characters come off as much richer. So I'm all for a slightly emotional Spock. I don't see the problem, especially when he is half human, and his mother was killed in the destruction of his homeworld.
Indeed, Spock can rarely be coldly logical, his human side is too present. He had moments very early in TOS, but they got tempered as the series went on a bit. That he is constantly struggling with that is part of Spock's nature. As to Vulcan and Amanda, I'm going to paraphrase a line Bruce Wayne delivers in 'Batman Begins' since I'm watching it just now and I think it transfers well.

'People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy'.

Trek was in a distinctly apathetic state of safety and predictability. The new film has shaken that up in a solid dramatic fashion, whilst retaining the overall Trek optimism of humanity's overall future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
what did the council elder say about Amanda that caused Spock offence? I can't recall.
Essentially that her human blood in Spock was a limitation they felt he had had to overcome to get as far as being accepted by the Academy.

Though I would suspect his bullying was more than those two instances - they were just there to establish it began in his choldhood and had continued through his life and from all aspects of Vulcan society.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 07-20-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
I'm trying to understand why JJ & co. decided to kill off Amanda. Any thoughts?
To make absolutely certain, under no uncertain terms, that we long time TOS fans fully understand, without a shadow of a doubt, that this definitely ain't our Star Trek anymore.

It's JJA's Star Trek now. And he wants us to know that he can do whatever the heck he wants to with it. Regardless of how we feel about it. It fact he probably has absolutely no regard whatsoever for how we (as in loyal, dedicated TOS fans for many years) feel about it.

That's just my opinion.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
To make absolutely certain, under no uncertain terms, that we long time TOS fans fully understand, without a shadow of a doubt, that this definitely ain't our Star Trek anymore.

It's JJA's Star Trek now. And he wants us to know that he can do whatever the heck he wants to with it. Regardless of how we feel about it. It fact he probably has absolutely no regard whatsoever for how we (as in loyal, dedicated TOS fans for many years) feel about it.

That's just my opinion.
Yes, his masterplan is now complete.

I really wish you would stop using the BS 'we longtime TOS fans' for your own personal opinion. It's long past the whining stage and plain boring now.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Commander

My theory is that they killed her off to drive Spock into Uhura's waiting arms. With Amanda out of the way, Spock can become a "real" man, and stop being a Vulcan momma's boy.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I think we'll see Spock blubbering like a baby in the next movie. He's too tightly wound!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
he did a lot in TOS anyway - it's why ssome girlies like him
Not this girlie! Actually, I thought that scene in Naked Time was way too long and overdone. Get a grip, man!

Now, the more subtle moments worked far better. His goodbye to Zarabeth was touching, and his giving up Leila Kalomi, with the hint of tears and emotion, was perfect- one of Nimoy's finest. Pass the tissues! **sniffsniff**
Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Old 07-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Federation Councillor

I felt it opened up alot of divergence for the next movie, that makes Kirk and Spock, and the others unpredicatble. Also gives them a perfect excuse to behave diffrently.