The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why Kill Off Spock's Mother?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Commander

The death of Amanda Grayson sets up some emotional turmoil which may permit Spock to be less coldly logical.(Though I hate to think such a thing possible). It may be a long while for Spock to deal with her death, given the suppression of emotion. And this might provide some fodder for sub-plots and storylines in the future.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Federation Councillor

Spock ends up far from coldly logical by the time we see him in the film anyway. He's long sinced managed to become comfortable with his emotions while still applying principles of logic.

And using his human side to provide rational for some of his 'logic' decisions. Much as we saw young Spock do in the hangar.

He's perfectly on course.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Admiral

I think we'll see Spock blubbering like a baby in the next movie. He's too tightly wound!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Commander

I'm not sure. If Spock has to many emotions why not just make Legolas the First Officer?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
I'm not sure. If Spock has to many emotions why not just make Legolas the First Officer?
eh?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

Vulcans have been portrayed in various ways throughout Trek, sometimes being almost completely emotionless, and sometimes having emotions just under the surface being suppressed through discipline, but still visible. The basic idea, that they are suppressing their emotions, is the same in both. However I find that when the approach is taken where you can see that hint of emotion, suppressed anger or annoyance or amusment are often the ones shown, the characters come off as much richer. So I'm all for a slightly emotional Spock. I don't see the problem, especially when he is half human, and his mother was killed in the destruction of his homeworld.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
There is one certain redshirt who should be put into harm's way.
I figure Security Guard Cupcake will be sent by Kirk into harms way as first order of business.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It was, basically, what is called in the comics industry, a fridging. Killing off a relatively minor female character solely because of the impact on a more important (to the story) male character.

What interests me is that Spock beamed down to Vulcan to rescue the Vulcan Council. Sarek was there, but so was Amanda. They were all standing around in a circle together. The Vulcan Council certainly seemed to accept the presence of Amanda in the midst. She wasn't off to the side in an observer role. Does this mean that, between the time Spock turned down the VSA (and joined StarFleet) and the time of the attack on Vulcan, the Vulcans have reconsidered their views on the nature of humanity as being a handicap?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The only mystery now is why they bothered casting Winona Ryder for two scenes. Even with the expanded ones on the DVD there was little there for her to do.
she was in a lot more, but JJ had to cut some scenes
Old 07-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius1964 View Post
It was, basically, what is called in the comics industry, a fridging. Killing off a relatively minor female character solely because of the impact on a more important (to the story) male character.

What interests me is that Spock beamed down to Vulcan to rescue the Vulcan Council. Sarek was there, but so was Amanda. They were all standing around in a circle together. The Vulcan Council certainly seemed to accept the presence of Amanda in the midst. She wasn't off to the side in an observer role. Does this mean that, between the time Spock turned down the VSA (and joined StarFleet) and the time of the attack on Vulcan, the Vulcans have reconsidered their views on the nature of humanity as being a handicap?
Amanda wasn't in the circle, she was standing to the side though not in an outcast way

Sarek was on the Council so obviously they and Vulcan's in general had no problem with Amanda - it's just Spock that had the misfortune to encounter a bad element. those three kids may been the sole reason why Spock felt like an outsider - getting bullied by other kids is the only mention in TOS, TAS and this movie of Spock's problems growing up - gettiing bullied can do that and his inability to deal with it causes friction with Sarek (in TOS anyway)

what did the council elder say about Amanda that caused Spock offence? I can't recall.