The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > DVD Recorders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Commander

Default DVD Recorders

Hi,

I've got a Toshiba DVD recorder that is prefect for my needs (especially create my own menu backgrounds{only on Toshiba machines apparently}, copy from DVD to Hard Drive and vice versa, save captured image function that lets me know whether the recording is 16:9 or 4:3{the DVR box is prone to sometimes playing back a recording in the wrong aspect ratio}, etc. ) - but there is one thing, it cvannot record to a Dual Layer DVD.

so I'm looking for a DVD recorder with a hard drive that can record to DL DVD, with the functions mentioned above. I've been on google a lot and gone fairly **** eyed, but I can't find any that I can confirm suits my needs.

can anyone help?

although I would prefer if there was some way I could use my MAC.

let's say I've recorded something to my Toshiba's hard drive. using standard quality recordings I can only fit 2 hours on a single layer DVD.
can I use something like Toast to copy the contents of two single layer DVD's onto a dual layer DVD and create a 4 hour DVD that will play on an ordinary DVD player as a video disc (not a data disc)?

I don't have any dual layer DVD's at the moment so I cannot try this myself.

any help is great.

cheers.

BTW, I revised the post as I was only using TREK as an example, because my boxsets are on the shelf above me so they were in my head.

Last edited by DammitJim : 07-18-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Most consumer DVD media is single layer, it's mostly the professional houses that deal in dual, though there are a few Mac programs such as DVD Studio Pro that do handle dual layer. I can't remember if Toast does, I think it only handles single. If you are recording episodes of a show and want to burn to DVD, you should be able to fit three hours or a little more, basically 4 episodes onto one DVD, but the quality will be poor compared to burning two episodes to DVD or a single episode per DVD.

I've never tried using Toast that way, but it might work. If it'll burn Dual Layer, then just dump all the material from the two single layer DVD's into Toast and see if it'll compile it for one DVD.

Otherwise you'll have to go for the two hours per DVD because they only hold about 4.3 GB. I'd say DVD Studio Pro would be your best bet for dual layer burning. If Toast will recognize dual layer which is something like 9GB then it should be able to burn all the media onto one DL DVD.

Good luck Jim!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I can't remember if Toast does, I think it only handles single. If you are recording episodes of a show and want to burn to DVD, you should be able to fit three hours or a little more, basically 4 episodes onto one DVD, but the quality will be poor compared to burning two episodes to DVD or a single episode per DVD.
Toast does use DL DVD's, I just don't know if I can create a "video DVD" from the process or if it would be a "data disc".

I know the quality degrades the more you try put on a DVD. But cheers anyway.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Admiral

As long as it'll recognize a DL DVD you should be able to create a 'video DVD'. Just dump the footage from each single DVD into Toast like you said and it should work.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Vice Admiral

Yes and No. You basically have two DVDs, each with their own menus and all that good stuff. However the file structures are the same for both so they cannot coexist unless new names are given to one of the SL DVD contents. From what it sounds like you want to do, you will need to extract the video content from both DVDs as straight mpeg2 files. The vob files themselves do work but since they are maxed at 1 GB chunks anything over a certain length is broken into multiple video files. Use those as your source files and create a new DVD project with the menus and such. Pretty much all current DVD authoring programs will do dual layer so long as your drive can burn it.

Prices for DL media are pretty good but if you want to put it all on one disc for convenience only then IMO its not worth it.

Edit: All that above is for more involved DVD projects instead of the cookie cutter ones in Toast or Nero.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Yes and No. You basically have two DVDs, each with their own menus and all that good stuff. However the file structures are the same for both so they cannot coexist unless new names are given to one of the SL DVD contents. From what it sounds like you want to do, you will need to extract the video content from both DVDs as straight mpeg2 files. The vob files themselves do work but since they are maxed at 1 GB chunks anything over a certain length is broken into multiple video files. Use those as your source files and create a new DVD project with the menus and such. Pretty much all current DVD authoring programs will do dual layer so long as your drive can burn it.

Prices for DL media are pretty good but if you want to put it all on one disc for convenience only then IMO its not worth it.

Edit: All that above is for more involved DVD projects instead of the cookie cutter ones in Toast or Nero.
thanks, but howe do I extract the video with zero loss in quality?
Old 07-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Admiral

If you have the video burned from the Toshiba onto two single layer DVD's then you could try a program called handbrake, if you want to go the route Samuel is talking about, extracting the video from the DVD.

http://handbrake.fr/

I've used the program quite a bit to back up DVD's of my own and there is little quality loss and it gives a variety of formats to export to so it's pretty handy. This way you could rip the video from the DVD onto your Mac into an AVI, MP4, Mpeg2 file and from there Toast or whatever authoring software you have should do the trick as long as your Mac's DVD drive supports dual layer DVD burning.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Commander

Livingston,

I use handbrake a lot but never seen that type of quality.

any tips?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Admiral

I've used it for single layer so I export in the highest quality possible, usually in AVI. I use DVD Studio Pro to author the DVD so two hours per DVD is about the limit before you start losing quality. Most of the projects I export to DVD are less than an hour so I really haven't had a need for DL DVD.

But, it's like what Samuel said, if you only want to burn to DL DVD for the convenience of having three-plus hours on a single DVD it may not be worth it. Personally I'd prefer to burn onto the smaller format. But if it's Lawrence of Arabia it sucks to have to turn the record over, so to speak!

Basically, I'd export from handbrake as an AVI file in highest possible format and then let DVD studio Pro encode to MPeg2, Toast may do it, don't know what the specs are on that one, but it should handle AVI, it just may take awhile depending on your computer.

Seriously though, single layer may be the better way to go if it's simply storage/backup you're going for.