The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Before Dishonor (spoiler)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Default Before Dishonor (spoiler)

Has anyone else read this novel by Peter David.

I couldn't put it down and then at the end I couldn't believe how he left Janeway. I know you have to suspend reality to a certain extent to believe in the Star Trek Universe, but really!

I am a bit of a baby when it comes to the endings of books, tv and films. I like a happy ending and this was anything but. Besides, I'm no scientist but I would think if a borg cube ate Pluto, there would be some catastrophe on earth. Surely all the planets/ planetoids (whatever classification Pluto has this week) have some kind of effect on each other.

Anyway, I've been wanting to get that off my chest for a while. Janeway would never succumb to the Borg! (unlike some we could mention!)

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 07-25-2009, 04:42 AM
Rear Admiral

The decision to off Janeway also came from the editors of Pocket Books who felt that there wasn't too much they could continue to do with the character now that she was an admiral and no longer in command of a ship. They didn't want to have her be just some mouthpiece from Starfleet relaying orders from Earth, so the decision was made to write her out.

Ultimately, however, Janeway died a hero. Her sacrifice saved Earth from the third Borg offensive.

Voyager post-Janeway

Last edited by Commodore : 07-25-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Captain

I thought someone said that Q saved Janeway from dying?
Old 08-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Admiral

At the end of the book, Janeway and Lady Q are in the Q Continuum. They have a memorial service for Janeway. I suppose it has been left open for her to be dead or alive. It is not clear at the end.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Rear Admiral

IMO, it's a loophole for her return in the event some future Trek production comes along and makes a reference to Janeway doing something after she supposedly died in Before Dishonor. But in the meantime, the 24th-Century Trek novels are proceeding forward as if she is indeed dead (or at least, no longer on this plane of existence). If no future Trek production makes a reference to Janeway doing something past 2381, then it really won't matter...
Old 08-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I bought it and was about to start reading it when I accidentally learned that the author was killing off Janeway. I just felt sick and upset and angry and I never read the book and from now on I'm not reading any Voyager novel unless someone decides to bring her back. What kind of an idiot kills off one of the main captains??!! WTF??!! She always was my favourite captain and now she's gone from the book universe. I used to like Peter David as a ST author because he wrote some great books (TNG's Vendetta being one of them). Those days are over....

I hope you guys are right about Janeway now being part of the Continuum and that because of this we could see her again.

Last edited by Lady Vaako : 08-10-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Rear Admiral

There were planety of irate fans that let the editors at Pocket Books know what they thought of their decision to kill off Janeway, but Pocket Books appears to be standing by it and have no plans to return Janeway to the world of the living at the present time. Additionally, according to Pocket Books' current schedule, there also aren't any plans to release any future VOY books until 2011 and those books are presumably about Voyager and its new captain and crew...
Voyager post-Janeway
Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Admiral

I agree Lady Vaako. I wish I hadn't read it.

Commodore: Presumably in any further tv or movie outings they can just bring Janeway back and state that pocket books are not canon. Mind you, the Q continuum is a great get out clause.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Rear Admiral

Well, that's actually what I said in an earlier post about using Q as a loophole. They can bring her back if a future Trek production makes a mention of her doing something after 2381. If that doesn't happen, however, then they can keep her dead.

For now, though, the Voyager crew have had time to mourn and grieve for Janeway (especially Chakotay and surprisingly Tuvok) and have now moved on...
Old 08-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
For now, though, the Voyager crew have had time to mourn and grieve for Janeway (especially Chakotay and surprisingly Tuvok) and have now moved on...
Why do you say "surprisingly" Tuvok? Even though he's Vulcan, considering his long and profound friendship with Janeway I'm not surprised at all.