The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Logic Dictates that the sequel will be about establishing a new Vulcan Colony
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
What if the destruction of Vulcan disposes the Romulan high command to extend a hand to the Vulcans since the home planet of their origin was destroyed. This prompts a reunification effort that the Federation and the Romulans begin to work through the diplomatic plans when the Klingons attack knowing that a Romulan was responsible for the destruction of a major part of their fleet.
While I like the idea of these events bringing the Vulcans and Romulans closer together (closer blood line, reunification etc all have potential) I can see no sense in the Klingons starting a war over Nero.

The Klingons may not know at this point that Nero was unconnected to the 23rd Century Romulan Empire but the Federation does.
They have Spock Prime to explain everything plus the comms footage where Nero states he stands apart from the Romulan Empire. So, if the Federation allowed a false war to start between the two powers over a misunderstanding when they had the knowledge to prevent it then the Federation would be - well, despicable really, is the only word that comes to mind.

And if the Klingons didn't believe the Federation and went ahead with a war - well, they would be about as dumb as they were in TOS I guess, but at least the Federation would have tried to stop it.

A Klingon/Romulan war just makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
I thought those 7 were the newest and best of the fleet, for some reason, and that would put the Federation behind by several years just in replacing them.

Has it ever been noted how many of the Enterprise class ships there are or what the fleet is composed of?
No, we are not told anything about the other ships age or condition. We only know the Enterprise is on her first assignment when she leaves.

As with the later fleets we don't know the exact makeup of the fleet or specific numbers. We only know the bulk of the fleet is engaged in the Laurentian System on some mysterious assignment.

(why nearly the whole fleet would be in one place is another question, of course! )

However, just going on instinct, my feeling is that if 7 ships lost were to hit future operational ability that hard, then there wasn't much of a fleet to begin with.

And not enough to run a simultaneous deep space exploration and defense program.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 07-19-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Commander

Those 7 were not likely Constitution Class.
Roddenberry planned and named 14 Constitution class vessels.
NCC-1017 USS Constellation(seen on TOS episode The Doomsday Machine)
NCC-1371 USS Republic
NCC-1631 USS Intrepid (built by Vulcans and destroyed on TOS episode The Immunity Syndrome)
NCC-1664 USS Excalibur (destroyed in TOS episode The Ultimate Computer)
NCC-1672 USS Exeter (In TOS episode The Omega Glory)
NCC-1700 USS Constitution (registry is seen on a wall display in TOS episode Court Martial)
NCC-1701 USS Enterprise
NCC-1702 USS Farragut (in TOS episode Obsession it is referenced that Jim Kirk served on the Farragut)
NCC-1703 USS Hood (damaged in TOS episode The Ultimate Computer)
NCC-1704 USS Yorktown (disabled by the alien probe in ST:TVH)
NCC-1707 USS Valiant
NCC-1709 USS Lexington (damaged in TOS episode The Ultimate Computer)
NCC-1710 USS Kongo (listed on a computer readout in ST:TUC)
NCC-1711 USS Potemkin (damaged in TOS episode The Ultimate Computer)
NCC-1764 USS Defiant (disappeared into a rift in space in the TOS episode The Tholian Web)

The USS Republic and the USS Valiant are the only sister vessels to the Enterprise that is not mentioned, or shown in any of the episodes or movies.

I'm guessing the Federation still has it's hands full in the ship building category.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't remember if we saw all 7 ships before they left, but none of the ones we did see were other Constitutions.

In fact, I don't believe any two were the same.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

If I were a Romulan, wouldn't I be more concerned about my sun going Nova in the not too distant future? Perhaps the real estate market in planets is going to get really hot!

Last edited by The Guardian : 07-19-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Commander

Perhaps with enough time, and the scientific knowledge of the remaining Vulcans there will be a way to either reduce the power of the nova, or circumvent the damages it causes.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
If I were a Romulan, wouldn't I be more concerned about my sun going Nova in the not too distant future? Perhaps the real estate market in planets is going to get really hot!
Well, no, because you have 129 years by the end of the first film to do that, and likely Spock Prime would leave the formula for the development of Red Matter behind so that the matter can be dealt with before it becomes and issue in the 24th Cenntury.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I don't remember if we saw all 7 ships before they left, but none of the ones we did see were other Constitutions.
In fact, I don't believe any two were the same.
IIRC there were at least 7 docked (8 if you look at the offered wallpaper shot and 10 if the much smaller docked things were ships), and yeah, they did all seem to be variations with no repetition. Not sure if that is of importance or not. And no, no other ship configured like the Enterprise.
[I simply refuse to use the "C" word -- it truly bothers me, moreso than usual as an unsupported imported reference]

I remember seeing especially prominent 3 of the upper dual nacelle ships with the connecting ring -- one had what appeared to have no secondary hull, one appeared to have a single secondary hull and one appeared to have 2 secondary hulls. The latter was given a close up as the ship directly to the left of Enterprise during the jump to Vulcan.

Then there was the very visible 3 nacelled ship with no secondary hull, given the close up as the ship to the right of Enterprise during the jump.
I don't recall seeing a Kelvin-type configuration docked, but one did appear to have a single lower nacelle with no secondary hull. The others were obscured in their docking position that no absolute details could be made.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Federation Councillor

The Blu-ray lists a special feature specifically connected to how the starships were designed in the film.

That may show up the ships in closer detail, perhaps as CGI models etc.

I'm not really of a frame of mind to enquire over the objection to the 'C' word. I'm sure it's fascinating but not for today.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The Blu-ray lists a special feature specifically connected to how the starships were designed in the film.
Neat!

Quote:
I'm not really of a frame of mind to enquire over the objection to the 'C' word. I'm sure it's fascinating but not for today.
No worries.

Mostly, just a left-over from the "Old way" of thinking about things.
I hated it then, and one lone mentioning on a promo dossier isn't enough to sway my hatred of the term being carried over -- there's too much baggage with the term. IMO they should have never even hinted there were "classes" at all.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Neat!
Don't get too excited yet. It could be 5 minute puff piece or a proper look!

Quote:
No worries.

Mostly, just a left-over from the "Old way" of thinking about things.
I hated it then, and one lone mentioning on a promo dossier isn't enough to sway my hatred of the term being carried over -- there's too much baggage with the term. IMO they should have never even hinted there were "classes" at all.
Oh, very well, since you elaborated!!

I don't feel it's baggage personally. It may not be the class name of the ship here (as in TOS it may never become fact via dialogue) so just have see how that pans out.

Although I'm not sure I follow on the 'classes' matter. You don't think there should be any ship classifications at all?

courtesy of Saquist