The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Logic Dictates that the sequel will be about establishing a new Vulcan Colony
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Lieutenant

Default Logic Dictates that the sequel will be about establishing a new Vulcan Colony

As a matter of fact it has to be because you cant ignore the Vulcans since they are Starfleets biggest ally. The story would probably be about finding a Planet simular to Vulcan in another system and the crisis would be about another species or race of aliens opposing the relocation of the remaing Vulcans left. Of course the Enterprise would be caught right up in the crisis as they have to figure out a diplomatic solution before the last ten thousand Vulcans are exterminated.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Federation Councillor

Except Spock says at the end of the film that he has already located a suitable planet for use as a colony.

Now granted, we have no more information to proceed with, but it would seem unlikely he would choose a planet with -

(a) - An existing population.

(b) - Too far from the heartland of Federation space, which means is there were life-forms already there, the Federation would know of them and the possibility of any attached risk.

(c) - Too close to the borders of any known current enemy. Klingons/Romulans etc.

If Spock chose a planet prepossesing threats to the surviving Vulcan population he wouldn't have been doing a great job.

What would be of interest if how the Vulcans will survive with less than 10,000 without the consideration of making their 'pure' lineage obsolete and having to start mixing their bloodline with other races to boost their numbers.

The elimination of the 'old' Vulcan race to create the 'new' line that will ensure they endure.

It also prevents the Enterprise doing any exploring - it's going to continue to mill around space we already know, much like the Enterprise D in TNG ended up doing. Despite being the flagship.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Rear Admiral

I think establishing a new Vulcan homeworld will be mentioned in passing, but I don't think the story will revolve around that.

My money is on Klingons. Aside from Worf, they really haven't been seen in the movies since '94 and they were deleted from Star Trek XI...
Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Federation Councillor

Then they will have to do something about them, because in TOS they were not effective. If I was writing it, I would be inclined not to feature either Klingons or Romulans in detail, but come up with something based around exploring a new region of space.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Ensign

I just want the next movie to feature the Enterprise off somewhere in the unknown.....exploring space like they do and then come across something completely unlike anything we've seen before.

Then the Klingons want it cause it could has could help the Empire....or something. Above all I want that sense of exploration, the sense of rushing in where angels fear to tread.

Is that too much to ask for?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Lieutenant

I can't see them taking off for new regions after what just happened, unless they place the sequel several years later. The Federation lost quite a number of starships and crews in the battle with Nero, so the fleet has been reduced. I doubt they have extra ships to go exploring.

And, there's issues to deal with in the neighborhood. Other than the Vulcans needing settlement, etc, there is the Romulans, who suffered a loss of ships/crews from Nero, also. With the Romulans and the Federation still reeling from all that, those nasty Klingons might see an opportunity to strike. Would be cool for the Romulan and Federation to join up against the Klingons.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Federation Councillor

They lost 7 ships - if that had a huge enough impact on their ability to explore the Federation could not have been very large nor Starfleet very powerful.

7 ships should be a drop in the comparitive ocean or they couldn't function as a fleet.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Ensign

To look at it in a political sense...

The Federation lost one of its founding worlds
The Klingons lost a significant number of their ships (and know that Romulans were involved)
The Romulans were virtually untouched by the events (although probably have been keeping an eye on the situation)

From that way of looking at things you can picture a possible war between the Klingon and Romulan Empire. The Federation probably wouldn't want to get involved with that war but do send a peace envoy.....hmmm....which would be the best ship to send to help negotiate a peace...

Either that or the Federation doesn't get involved in Klingon/Romulan affairs and the Enterprise just continues a mission of exploration.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Federation Councillor

Again, in that scenario, the Federation could potentially prevent a Klingon/Romulan conflict because the Federation can prove that Nero had nothing to do with the Romulan Empire of the 23rd Century.

If the Klingons attacked the Romulans, they would be startin a war for no actual reason - unless they wanted the pretext.

So would the Federation stay silent? Or try to end a war that doesn't need to happen?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Captain

It's Hollywood. Logic does not apply.