The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How Close To The Star Trek Canon Should The New Film Be?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How Close To The Star Trek Canon Should The New Film Be?
Not following he canon makes you a heretic. 27 15.61%
Its very import but not perfect so maybe SMALL changes. 54 31.21%
Its important but I will not loos any sleep over changes. 62 35.84%
They should be able to make lots of changes if it helps the franchise. 29 16.76%
What canon? 14 8.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 AM
Ensign

Default How Close To The Star Trek Canon Should The New Film Be?

OK so how close to the Star Trek canon should they stay. Have your say while you can.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:58 AM
Commander

Isn't that like asking "how much like chocolate should chocolate taste" or something? LOL

It's not a reboot liks BSG. So, I'd say the answer is as close to 100% as it can get.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:00 AM
Ensign

Sure needs to be somewhat close but should they be to boxed in by aging fiction?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:02 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It need to stay close to the canon, but if there are small differences I won't get upset. This is Star Trek, 40 years later, some stuff will have to be changed for the sake of modern relevancy.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:03 AM
Commander

Fiction doesn't age. Not the best fiction, anyway. Look at LOTR. The movies were insanely popular and the books had been well written before any of the people associated with the films were born.

Trek has an established canon and Abrams, Orci, et al. have said this isn't a reboot and that the things we see will have a basis in canon, and I think that's a reasonable expectation.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:10 AM
Ensign

The problem with canon is there's so much to remember. If you sat down and watched every episode of every series and every movie non-stop for 24 hours a day, it would take you 23 days to watch them all. So I can understand when there's contradictions in the stories. A great example is in TMP where Spock is on Vulcan and Vulcan's moon is rising in the background. But wait! In "The Man Trap", Spock told Uhura Vulcan had no moon. For the writer's of TMP (Roddenberry himself!), that's easy to miss. And yes, I know it was fixed in the Director's Cut of TMP.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:12 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Orci said that they have been using Memory Alpha as a reference during the script-writing. There's not a single better Trek database on the planet - they shouldn't have any problems with regards to canon (unless they got lazy).
Old 01-31-2008, 06:14 AM
Commander

RSB: I think that's also the kind of thing that happens when people who have never even seen Star Trek (i.e., Robert Wise) take the reins. I don't think we'll have problems like that with JJ & Co., honestly.

They've already said they're taking canon pretty seriously. There IS a lot to remember, but they seem pretty faithful stewards of the franchise, so far. They're doing their homework and it's all to earn the acceptance of those of us who have loved Trek for years.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:17 AM
Midshipman

I think my signature line speaks for itself
Old 01-31-2008, 06:19 AM
Ensign

I think most people forget the immense changes made in the transition from the original series to the movies. I'm not sure if anyone really complains about them. On the contrary, when "Affilction" came out, people were upset, that the great treatment of the "Klingon ridges issue" from "Trials and Tribble-ations" had been demystified. It's fair to say, that Roddenberry would have done things differently given the resources of today's movie making.

If one can accept the fact, that Starfleet would basically revamp the Enterprise to an extend, that the movie's ship proportions are different wrt TOS, then Abrams & Co should have a lot of freedom with their decisions. It's not getting to be Battlestar Galactica, they have made that clear. But maybe a "Daniel Craig Bond"-type of revamp.

BTW: Why are there signatures, that are five times as big as your post? Plz don't get me wrong on this, but it literally marginalizes a post.

TrekWar (International), Star Trek: The Journey (German)