The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > flu vaxin
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

It is just media sensationalism, I don't think that Roche who sell Tamiflu or whoever else sells similar products tries to make people panic. But as they are the ones who would gain from an epidemic, real or imagined, it could very well be.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Lieutenant Commander

It's an interesting one this. At the moment swine flu doesn't kill many people - just make them ill. The whole point about a new disease is that it can change and become immensely dangerous very quickly. Past flu pandemics have demonstrated this. As an aside, this could turn into one of the rare situations that being closed minded about science could actually cost you your life. Let's hope this doesn't become as bad as past pandemics, but let's not be cynical about science. Ultimately, if this illness mutates into something much more lethal, we're all going to be relying on technology to help us.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Sure, but there is little one can do when it mutates into a supervirus. Panicking or having taken medicine against the swine flu will not help much when an epidemic breaks out.

This reminds me of the other opposite of panic, ignorance. This dumbass is a public servant and does not understand why supervolcanoes like in the Yellowstone National Park have to be monitored and that it is of course a public and not a private task.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Commander

Not just that. Volcanic eruptions can be associated with other events that go beyond the eruption such as tsunamis. Over here in western Washington where we have Mount Rainier, which is an active volcano, the concern is not so much the eruption itself but the lahars flows that can wipe out entire communities. Fortunately for me, I live outside the valley where the flows would go.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 07-19-2009, 02:48 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't believe anyone is being closed minded about science, but rather excercising their own judgement while watching to see what happens. Especially in light of at present conflicting information.

Sensationalist media looking to sell copies vs Government agencies responsible for contingency planning and preparation for such large events.

I guess who you want to believe is up to individuals, but I rarely go with the press in such scenarios.

Should there be a further mutation into a more virulent and fatal strain then I imagine that most people, myself included will follow the advice given.

At this juncture, however, despite high infection rates, the danger is not at present that severe to most of the population.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Sure, but there is little one can do when it mutates into a supervirus. Panicking or having taken medicine against the swine flu will not help much when an epidemic breaks out.

This reminds me of the other opposite of panic, ignorance. This dumbass is a public servant and does not understand why supervolcanoes like in the Yellowstone National Park have to be monitored and that it is of course a public and not a private task.
My knee jerk reaction was also to call him a dumbass, but to be honest I do have questions about the volcano monitoring. We already do monitor volcanoes and have been since before I was born. I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest which is pretty much volcano central. We got Mount St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Mt. Hood, and Glacier peak as the 5 major volcanoes. Then there's Cascade mountain range which is a volcanic mountain range. So the whole area as well as other places like Yellowstone are already monitored primarily through the United States Geological Survey (USGS). The USGS has it's own local office plus they have people that also work at the University of Washington to teach and do research, plus that's where there some of the seismographs are. They've wired the volcanoes with sensors, especially Mt. St Helens. There was a guest lecturer that came to one of the classes I was taking who's a scientist from the USGS. Part of what he does was briefings for those who will be involved in responding to emergencies like volcanoes and earthquakes, including the Arm National Guard. Wouldn't be surprised if he also had briefings with the Washington State Self Defense Force which is basically the state militia.

So to me, the important question is whether or not the spending mentioned in the vid clip is to augment to existing monitoring system that the USGS uses, or is this simply money being spent to create another czar with another another bureaucracy to boot to further oversee what another government institution already does? If it's the former then fine, I just would prefer that it be part of the USGS budget procurement rather than tacking it with a hodge podge of other unrelated spending. Makes it easier at least in my mind to keep track of where money is going among other things. If it's the latter, than all I can say is go take that money and stuff it. Stop adding to the Rube Goldberg machine.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 07-19-2009 at 12:36 PM.