The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > sorry i was gone
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
That is why every adult in a young person's life should not be accepting of this. I don't mind shorthand in texts but I don't see that as an excuse to say "things change, these kids are different". If adults demand more from young people then we will get more. I have a young niece that can text like there is no tomorrow, yet her spelling, grammer, and punctuation are great where it needs to be (schoolwork and such). I think that is due to my sister and I not making excuses for her. My sister has also instilled a love of reading in my niece, which is not very common these days.
I agree. When my boys were growing up I read to them every night. Not just Fairy tales, but Twain, and Kipling, and Tolkien, and I threw in a Trek novel now and then. My youngest son wants to be a neurosurgeon. The older boy is looking towards the military probably aircraft mechanics and avionics, or maratime systems. (Still a toss up over Air Force or Navy).
Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
My sister has also instilled a love of reading in my niece, which is not very common these days.
it is over here.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
The whole proper diction, punctuation, spelling and verbage is lost on a younger generation who thinks "C U L8R" means "See you later."
This texting thing is going to destroy the English language as we know it.
E-mails are bad enough.
The thing about text speak is it's absolutely feeble when it comes to subtlety. If all you want to do is bleat catchphrases or grunt a greeting, it's fine. If you want to express something with any light and shade at all, the full beauty of the English language gives you a lot of options to play with. Punctuation lets you give a specific voice to your text and can show people how you want it to be spoken aloud. It's wonderful to have such an expressive language and sad when people don't understand its potential.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Vice Admiral

It also helps to require one's offspring to write thank-you notes by hand. I grant you all my kid can do right now is write his name, but he tells me what to write in the note.

And as long as we're venting, when the hell did everyone in the world forget what RSVP means? I invited 16 people to the boy's birthday party, and THREE responded. I had to call all the others just so I knew how much pizza to order. Losers.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
It also helps to require one's offspring to write thank-you notes by hand. I grant you all my kid can do right now is write his name, but he tells me what to write in the note.

And as long as we're venting, when the hell did everyone in the world forget what RSVP means? I invited 16 people to the boy's birthday party, and THREE responded. I had to call all the others just so I knew how much pizza to order. Losers.
I so agree, and totally know what your talking about!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
RSVP= Responde Si Viene Pendejo!!! Translation:Respond if you are coming (in spanglish), Pendejo!! (not sure of the literal translation! Fool or idiot, maybe?)
Old 07-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Admiral

I thought RSVP Was Responde Si Vou Plea (Sp) Repsond if you please. *SHrugs*
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 07-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Commander

Quote:

that's a bit harsh. maybe they can't read and write either. you should have called the parents
Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Lieutenant

Im glad I am trying better on punctuation