The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > My friend needs help...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Lieutenant

Default My friend needs help...

My friend misplaced her brother, he was last heard from in the Atlanta GA area in 2001. Attempts to locate him have been unsuccessful, the best I have been able to determine is that he was living recently in the Decatur, GA area. I don’t know why he chose to disconnect himself from his family. All I know is that his sister wants find out if he is okay.

Here’s the information:

Name: Steven Clinton DeBerry
DOB: 06/29/1978

Last edited by only1jamest : 07-23-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Vice Admiral

I'm not sure I would get into the middle of a family situation like that. Your friend's brother is an adult. He has the right to speak to, or to NOT speak to, anyone he chooses and that includes family. If he doesn't want to be found, you should respect his choice.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Yes, I also question posting real names of others online.

I will, however, offer a suggestion for your friend. She should advertise in all newspapers in the Decatur area with a safe contact e-mail and phone number. She should find all "free publications" in the area and advertise there as well. As money is an issue, she should just use the cheapest or free ads that are available. Beyond making it known that she welcomes contact, I don't think much can be done.

If your friend does Twitter, that might be a good venue for putting out the "I want to talk" information.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Consult a reilable Private Investigator.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Lieutenant

I understand were every one is coming from. I agree that if he dosent want to be found that his right. As far as a PI goes my friend works for min wage she is just getting by as it is and cant afford to pay for a search. We contacted the Atlanta Journal they said they would get back to her in a year or so because they have human intrest stories coming out their ears. (not their words just what I read into it) She dosnt even have her on computer or a car for that matter. She asked me to ask you guys for help thats what I did.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Okay, if you have a Twitter account, that might be a way to go...though, be very careful about information you give out. Maybe stick with first names and a "hint" that only he would get.

Most places have "free" papers and "community" papers. These are often starved for material. If you can craft up an interesting article (don't suggest they write an article, write it yourself and offer it to them) about the search and the reason for it, you might get some of those smaller Georgia papers to print it and that might generate information.

Go to bulletin board communities like YUKU and search for boards that focus on Georgia and Georgians (they'll be there!). Split them up among your group of friends and start posting the story there. Again, be careful about the information you provide. First name, general description (hair/eye color, age, anything out of the ordinary (like: has really blond hair and blue eyes but his eyebrows are deep black and thick) last known height and weight if it's material).

Local TV stations often have community forums.....do the same thing with those.

The point is to put that information in front of as many people who might have seen him as possible....this board is international and despite the number of members, does not have hundreds who post every day.

You'll be much more likely to get a bite if you are fishing in a smaller pond that is located in an area the man is known to have been.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I'm not sure I would get into the middle of a family situation like that. Your friend's brother is an adult. He has the right to speak to, or to NOT speak to, anyone he chooses and that includes family. If he doesn't want to be found, you should respect his choice.

She only wants to know if he's ok. What if he's suffering from some mental disorder and living like a bum on the streets? Such things have happened before. Wouldn't you at least want to know if your family were alive and well?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
She only wants to know if he's ok. What if he's suffering from some mental disorder and living like a bum on the streets? Such things have happened before. Wouldn't you at least want to know if your family were alive and well?
Perhaps more of the story needs to be told? Of course I would want to know if my family member were okay. I suppose the entire reason behind the family split really needs to be known. If everything was fine and contact was normal, then all of a sudden he does not return phone calls or e-mails, then I would assume something may have happened to him. Of course you would have to also assume he was living alone and that nobody around him knew how to contact his family. Is he married? Did he ahve a girlfriend/boyfriend? If it was mental illness you would have to also assume none of his friends, coworkers, or girlfriend knew how to contact the family. My guess is there was some sort of issue that split the family and he stated he wanted nothing to do with them anymore. Even then I would probably reach out to my family member, but I only suggested a non-family member not get in the middle of it.