The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Strangest lines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I loved that line! It was so unexpected. Pike's address to Nero was so Trek, that sort of 'how dare you fire on us!' kind of feel and then it gets responded to with, 'Hi, Christopher, I'm Nero.' Great reading by Bana too, very understated.

What futureguy said also, it was a huge slight at Pike's authority. Usually you get the bad guy at least addressing his opponent with respect, by title or what have you. Nero just told Pike his name and demanded he come over to the Narada and then cut him off, no discussion, nothing.

Great moment IMO!
Yea, even Kahn addressed Kirk as Captain, then Admiral, (with some emotion) when he realized he had Checkov in his grasp and had a means to seek revenge on his "old friend".
Old 07-16-2009, 04:14 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Thank you for quoting one of my favorite lines in the film.
That was my first clue that this was going to be a new Trek that strayed far away from the Trek of the last few decades while at the same time poking some fun at it.
Yes, the idea is good.
But it sounds strange though.

A little like
"We are sending u something that seems impossible to us."
"Oh that doesn't seem possible"
"Really? I had no idea."
Old 07-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
This nova threatened the galaxy.
That one always confuses the heck out of me. Really, guys? No. It didn't. It just didn't.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Ensign

one of my favorites

"we will be arriving at wulcan in three minutes"
Old 07-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Ensign

Cool

As Kirk (innoculated against Lavaran mud fleas) and Bones are rushing to the Enterprise's Sick Bay:

Kirk: "I don't feel right. I feel leaky."

Cinematic Non sequitur GOLD right there, cowboy.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Ensign

"NUMB TONGUE?!?!!?!?!?"

Think that is one of my favorites =)
Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
In my misspent youth when I was actually trying to make sense of Trek, I theorized that the Stardate wasn't a linear measurement of time, but of space and location. It was a galactic GPS so to speak in a galaxy that is not static but continually moving.

It helped me to mentally explain how stardates could be all over the place, run backwards, run fast in some episodes and slow in others, while some episodes take days and others have much longer stretches of time while having about the same date movements.

People love to simplify things into neat little packages of mediocrity and when TNG came along and redesigned the date system altogether into linear flow and some weird calculations of days -- well not much point after that. I gave it up as being a lone voice in the wild and then lost interest.
Actually, I believe that was Gene Roddenberry's explanation of Stardates, too - his way of explaining why they weren't in a numerical order.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH-313 View Post
Actually, I believe that was Gene Roddenberry's explanation of Stardates, too - his way of explaining why they weren't in a numerical order.
From what I understand in TOS he tried to avoid setting the show in a specific time. So various vague numbers were chosen instead, including shifting orders. At least that was the intention in the beginning but I think there were times later that a general time frame was needed. Its another one of those things that were done for the show that had some kind of thought up explanation attached later. Like the invention of transporters to save money. Nobody knew how they worked, they just did.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH-313 View Post
Not precisely, but close.

As for strange lines... during the bar beating I was almost expecting someone to scream out in the theater "Rodney King! Rodney King!"

As for The Strange Line (which I think can be officially trademarked for this film) in the movie I've got to agree with "A star will explode and threaten to destroy the galaxy".

All of the dialogue hints that the star that exploded was very nearby, or else Spock would not be able to inject his Red Matter directly into the supernova and suck the destructive ripple effect into a black hole. That'd be one hella black hole to suck in an effect stretching over many many light years, or even stranger would be the implication in the film that the effect was all focused in one direction?!? for the Red Matter to have any real effect so far from the supernova itself.

Really the whole thing is just strange.
Change the phrase from "galaxy" to "Romulan Civilization", and it might make a bit more sense. Maybe. Provided the supernova was from a far-orbiting twin star of the Romulan home system or something.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
All of the dialogue hints that the star that exploded was very nearby, or else Spock would not be able to inject his Red Matter directly into the supernova and suck the destructive ripple effect into a black hole. That'd be one hella black hole to suck in an effect stretching over many many light years, or even stranger would be the implication in the film that the effect was all focused in one direction?!? for the Red Matter to have any real effect so far from the supernova itself.
Maybe yes it actually was very big. And since red matter is fictional it can have whatever effect you want and be just as plausible as proto matter. Whatever the hell that stuff is.