The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Blade Runner
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I have mixed feelings about Blade Runner. I have never seen it all the way through. I think I've seen most of it in sections over the years. I don't know how many times I have tried to (because I want to) but I can never connect with it and learn to love it.

I don't even know why - I've tried so hard to give it a go. I don't know what goes wrong when I watch it.

See, that's the problem. There's 4 cuts of this film, some diffrences are minor, some are huge, depending on the cut you see. For me, I like the version(s) with the narration.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
forget the ****ty movie and read the novel instead, dammit
100% agree with this. The book was so much richer than the movie, although I have to admit I haven't seen the restored version. I guess I should do that before passing judgement.

And yes, it also wins for one of the best book titles of all time. I've often wished some character would ask it of Data.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Banned

Blade Runner is also depressing, which takes away from its watchability for me.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Actually, 5 cuts. There was another one, sans narration, and plus a whole sequence of the dove that Roy Batty releases flying up and away from LA, than most people have never seen. It was the sneak that the studio had in Denver, at the Cooper Theatre. Ridley Scott, the production execs and Harlan Ellison were there. I remember distinctly that, after the lights came up, one of the young execs felt that it needed re-editing... that was also one of the few times I've ever seen Harlan's legendary temper flare up. (I really thought it was going to come to blows. If you've ever seen footage from a baseball game where a player is screaming inches from an ump's face... you know what I mean.)

But, my favorite cut of the film is the director's cut. No narration, more sound design mix, and the film ends when the elevator doors slam shut! The end. Also, this is the cut that actually makes the allusion that deckard himself is a replicant, by having him remember unicorns, and Dak leaving the origami unicorn outside the apartment.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Actually, 5 cuts. There was another one, sans narration, and plus a whole sequence of the dove that Roy Batty releases flying up and away from LA, than most people have never seen. It was the sneak that the studio had in Denver, at the Cooper Theatre. Ridley Scott, the production execs and Harlan Ellison were there. I remember distinctly that, after the lights came up, one of the young execs felt that it needed re-editing... that was also one of the few times I've ever seen Harlan's legendary temper flare up. (I really thought it was going to come to blows. If you've ever seen footage from a baseball game where a player is screaming inches from an ump's face... you know what I mean.)

But, my favorite cut of the film is the director's cut. No narration, more sound design mix, and the film ends when the elevator doors slam shut! The end. Also, this is the cut that actually makes the allusion that deckard himself is a replicant, by having him remember unicorns, and Dak leaving the origami unicorn outside the apartment.
5 cuts????!! Are you (bleep)ing serious???! I know Ridley didn't ok all these cuts of the film....
Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
5 cuts????!! Are you (bleep)ing serious???! I know Ridley didn't ok all these cuts of the film....
Actually, there are seven.

The Workprint Version

The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

US Theatrical Cut

International Theatrical Cut

US Broadcast Version

Directors Cut

& The Final Cut

I've been able to see all of them but the Workprint version.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post
Actually, there are seven.

The Workprint Version

The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

US Theatrical Cut

International Theatrical Cut

US Broadcast Version

Directors Cut

& The Final Cut

I've been able to see all of them but the Workprint version.
Ok, but the "Director's Cut" wasn't ok'd be Ridley, if I remember right. That's why we got the final cut. Coolness for the list BTW.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Commander

Just to add to the epicness of this thread, one of my favorite movie quotes of all time:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those... moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Blade Runner is possibly the best science fiction movie of it's decade. Certainly it's the most influential. But the greatest of all time? I think that depends on your criteria. Because, let's face it, Blade Runner also has some serious flaws... LA 2017 is destined to be yet another science fictional date that will come and go, with nothing remotely like the future as it was portrayed. (2117, maybe... but, interstellar travel in the next 8 years?!) Or even artificial life forms like the replicants? Please...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Blade Runner is possibly the best science fiction movie of it's decade. Certainly it's the most influential. But the greatest of all time? I think that depends on your criteria. Because, let's face it, Blade Runner also has some serious flaws... LA 2017 is destined to be yet another science fictional date that will come and go, with nothing remotely like the future as it was portrayed. (2117, maybe... but, interstellar travel in the next 8 years?!) Or even artificial life forms like the replicants? Please...

I'd say it is one of the best of the 80's.