The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Stupid Humans!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post

But Humans do it all, humans are one of the very few predator speices that preys even upon itself. We poision our own atmosphre, water, food, all in the name of progress. We have no buisness spreasding this into space until we learn to control ourselves.
In true Star Trek fashion, I believe spreading into space is probably the only thing that will day make human kind mature. I've always felt a first contact type scenario would either cause a world war or bring humanity together. I prefer the second option.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Vice Admiral

It's our greed that's at the root of all our problems. The love of money is indeed to root of all evil. Throw the money changers out of the temple and you'll be on the right path!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
In true Star Trek fashion, I believe spreading into space is probably the only thing that will day make human kind mature. I've always felt a first contact type scenario would either cause a world war or bring humanity together. I prefer the second option.
I agree, once the panic over finding out humankind is not alone (for sure) maybe it would bind us togeter. Or, do the exact opposite (like in the ENT "mirror" episodes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
It's our greed that's at the root of all our problems. The love of money is indeed to root of all evil. Throw the money changers out of the temple and you'll be on the right path!
Greed over money is only a small precentage of it. Greed over the manipulation of others, goods, and rescources is way more of a problem.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Commander

Quote:
Yes, apes have battles, but only for mating and food. Do you know for 100% sure they are not inelligent enough to have a god concept? Just because we can't understand them....
No I don't know for sure. I wouldn't exclude the possibility absolutely.

So they fight for mating, for food or for the territory the food, the females and their children live in?
Do humans fight for anything else? We also fight for our territories, for our women, for our ressources (food, water, oil, ...)
I wouldn't assume god or ideology are the prime reasons for fighting, they are just a method to bind a group of people together, so that they follow the same goal, to make them sacrifice the own life for the group.
In regions the people don't have reasons to fight the dominating religion/ideology often is more peaceful, too.

Here is a nice article about Chimps and organised violence:
http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/13877

Quote:
But, I do agree with you, we are no better than any other animal. In fact, most of them are better than us.
Nope, we are neighter worse nor better.

It's also human arrogance to assume we are the worst.

The only difference is that our deeds are more destructive, because we became so intelligent that we could build bigger and bigger weapons, unfortunatelly we didn't became wiser than the Apes in the same proportion we became more intelligent.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 07-15-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
No I don't know for sure.

They fight for mating, for food or for the territory the food, the females and their children live in? Do humans fight for anything else? We also fight for our territories, for our women, for our ressources (food, water, oil, ...)

Here is a nice article about Chimps and organised violence:
http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/13877

Nope, we are neighter worse nor better.

It's also human arrogance to assume we are the worst.
In fact we are just average.

The only difference is that our deeds are more destructive, because we became so intelligent that we could build bigger and bigger weapons, unfortunatelly we didn't became wiser than the Apes in the same proportion.
I've known women I would be ALOT more afraid of than any man...lol...
Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Commander

Quote:
I've known women I would be ALOT more afraid of than any man...lol...
Women actually can be very dangerous.
But they often use other weapons than the sword/gun

Of course in politics their decisions aren't any different, because politics is about power and power corrupts both genders.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Women actually can be very dangerous.
But they often use other weapons than the sword/gun

Of course in politics their decisions aren't any different, because politics is about power and power corrupts both genders.
Well having seen women in the military, especially Isralei, they are far more brutal than their male counterparts.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
I know we're kind of in between animals and angels (bringing to me Shakespeare's "How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god"), but sometimes I despair that we haven't gone farther, faster.
And it is no coincidence that in one of the early Q episodes, Picard quoted these lines from Hamlet with the foreword: "What Hamlet might say with irony, I say with conviction. What a piece of work is a man, how noble ..."

Quote:
Apes do have battles against other Apes, at least some of the aggressive species like the Chimps (or is it chimpanzee in English ). Sometimes one pack totally eliminates an other group of Chimps. They are only not intelligent enough to project their feelings onto an ideology or on god.
Although we still have many violent conflicts, we are overall less aggressive than those apes.
But when we hurt someone, technology can really amplify our aggression.

So the crucial questions is whether our psychological evolution towards a more peaceful species is faster than technological progress or, to paraphrase Archer, whether our instincts will catch up with our intellect.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Although we still have many violent conflicts, we are overall less aggressive than those apes.
Yes, compared to Apes mankind is anywhere between the agressive chimpanzee and the always horny bonobos.