The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Stupid Humans!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Banned

Cool Stupid Humans!

If some alien civilization (or powerful being whose name is represented by a single letter of the alphabet between "P" and "R") were to pass judgment on humanity, what aspects of our species would be most evident?

Probably our warlike nature and our hypocrisy.

A relatively trivial, yet telling characteristic is the "trophy wife" syndrome, in which successful men (cough, johnmccain, cough) dump their first wives for a "newer model." (See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophy_wife.) All of which tends to show that the whole thing about together forever and love being deep and everlasting is just so much bla-bla.

Millions of years of biological development, tens of thousands of years of social evolution, thousands of years of civilization, and we're still a bunch of egoistic self-seeking naked apes.

Humans, defend yourselves!

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-15-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Commander

From a cynical perspective, humanity can be seen as pretty worthless overall. We've got the capacity for rational thought, sympathy, empathy - we understand suffering, yet we inflict it on each other with gleeful abandon. We could choose to be a non-violent species, yet we constantly murder and torture one another over trivial differences, and have done so since the dawn of time. And all along, we consider ourselves the paragons of 'civilisation' and advancement. Even as nations condemn bloodshed, they come up with new and unconvincing excuses to continue the cycle and to blame others for its continuation.

Humanity is capable of great things, yet those great things are accomplished by an astoundingly tiny minority, and are so vanishingly few in number compared to how many have willingly supported or participated in atrocities.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
If some alien civilization (or powerful being whose name is represented by a single letter of the alphabet between "P" and "R") were to pass judgment on humanity, what aspects of our species would be most evident?

Probably our warlike nature and our hypocrisy.

A relatively trivial, yet telling characteristic is the "trophy wife" syndrome, in which successful men (cough, johnmccain, cough) dump their first wives for a "newer model." (See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophy_wife.) All of which tends to show that the whole thing about together forever and love being deep and everlasting is just so much bla-bla.

Millions of years of biological development, tens of thousands of years of social evolution, thousands of years of civilization, and we're still a bunch of egoistic self-seeking naked apes.

Humans, defend yourselves!
Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
Exactly. As a Q, I would be puzzled, too. If I were a Q, which I am not.

BTW, I had to delete the blue guy because it wouldn't let me post otherwise. (Computer override, again.)
Old 07-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Federation Councillor

I allways felt this really sums up humanity's true nature..the last speech from POTA (1968).

Cornelius: [reading from the sacred scrolls of the apes] Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Commander

I don't think an Alien species wouldn't look down on us more than on any animal. Maybe they even would be fascinated.

They probably would see the human species as the handyman species on earth.
Mankind can climb, but not as good as other animals, it can sprint, but not as fast as other animals, it has stamnia, but not as much as other animals, it can swim, but not as good as other animals, and it can live at every climate zone, but it isn't adapted to any perfectly, and the human being developed intelligence to think about itself. What other species can do all these things? Most of them have specialized on one of these aspects. The human species stands in the middle of all the species, it can do most of the things, but it can't do anything besides thinking best, the only thing we can't do is flying and we don't have all the senses that exist (ultrasonic we e.g. can't hear).
Of course mankind still is an animal, it isn't anything that evolved beyond its nature, beyond its roots and therefore we still couple like animals (Trophy wife), therefore we still hate, fear, be jealous, kill but also have good emotions like joy and compassion (developed by our social structure in our pack).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz
Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed.
Animals can do that, too.
Didn't you already met a cat that just kiled a mouse for fun or just to play with her?
Chimps and other chimps, yes even ants and other ants sometimes actually can be at war with each other.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 07-15-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned

Great comments, everyone. Intellectually engaged and wise. That's why I love this site and many other Trek sites.

I know we're kind of in between animals and angels (bringing to me Shakespeare's "How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god"), but sometimes I despair that we haven't gone farther, faster.

Although it may be a frail reed, my hope is that visions of goodness we see in SF like Trek could help us see that society can be what it is.

The last thirty years in American politics have seen a debasement in discussion and I do think we need strong leadership to make us see what we could still be. I hope President Obama can maintain his vision of hope even as the reality of politics drags it down.

Against charges that may be laid, humanity is capable of defending itself, but to do so, it needs leadership.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
Animals can do that, too.
Didn't you already met a cat that just kiled a mouse for fun or just to play with her?
Chimps and other chimps, yes even ants and other ants sometimes actually can be at war with each other.
All known intelligent life form are animals (and I would include Dolphins, Whales, and Apes in that), but you ever see a Dolhpin murder another for their fish? No. Do you ever see Apes battle for an ideaolgy, or god image? No. Ever see Whales rape each other? No.

But Humans do it all, humans are one of the very few predator speices that preys even upon itself. We poision our own atmosphre, water, food, all in the name of progress. We have no buisness spreasding this into space until we learn to control ourselves.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Do you ever see Apes battle for an ideaolgy, or god image?
Apes do have battles against other Apes, at least some of the aggressive species like the Chimps (or is it chimpanzee in English ). Sometimes one pack totally eliminates an other group of Chimps. They are only not intelligent enough to project their feelings onto an ideology or on god.

You can find that everywhere. Ants are e.g. quite fascinating. Sometimes ants hold other insects as slaves and force them to work for their ants colony.

The image of the pure and godlike nature compared to the devil human is wrong!
Just as the image of the divine human that evolved beyond its animal nature.
Humans are a product of nature, just like every other animal, thus humans neither are better than animals, nor they are worse. Because we are just animals with a big brain.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
Apes do have battles against other Apes, at least some of the aggressive species like the Chimps (or is it chimpanzee in English ). Sometimes one pack totally eliminates an other group of Chimps. They are only not intelligent enough to project their feelings onto an ideology or on god.

You can find that everywhere. Ants are e.g. quite faszinating. Sometimes ants hold other insects as slaves and force them to work for their ants colony.

The image of the pure and godlike nature compared to the devil human is wrong!
Humans are a product of nature, just like every other animal, thus humans neither are better than animals, nor they are worse. Because we are just animals with a big brain.
But ants work for only 1 goal, survival of the colony. There is no self, only the group. Unlike apes, and other mamals.

Yes, apes have battles, but only for mating and food. Do you know for 100% sure they are not inelligent enough to have a god concept? Just because we can't understand them....

Human arrogance presumes becuase we think we are more intelligent, are we? In less than 100 years we have made this planet well on it's way to being unihabitable. Not the sign of intelligence.

But, I do agree with you, we are no better than any other animal. In fact, most of them are better than us.