The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Prescription Medication Addiction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCat View Post
I know I am one of those who would become addicted, if not careful. That is why I usually only fill half of a prescirption, or only take one pill when the intructions ay to take two. the less of it I get into my system, the easier it is to control my actions.
Based on what you have said, you do have a family history of addiction, but don't cut the dosage and live with more pain than you need to. I would allow for you to take up to the recommended dose. If you still feel some pain, then THAT is too bad. I think you already have a healthy respect for medications. You shouldn't FEAR them.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I think their is a conflict of interest when Doctors are allowed to own stakes in things like pharmaceutical companies or the local MRI machine. When they profit from prescribing medication or ordering unneeded tests, that is a problem. Not to go off on a tangent, but addressing these issues would be nice to see in healthcare reform.
I agree, and of drug compaines offering "insentives" to docs for perscribing their meds, even if it isn't the best for the patient.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Based on what you have said, you do have a family history of addiction, but don't cut the dosage and live with more pain than you need to. I would allow for you to take up to the recommended dose. If you still feel some pain, then THAT is too bad. I think you already have a healthy respect for medications. You shouldn't FEAR them.
No, I get WAY too 'spaced out' taking only half...no pain, and flying. When I take the correct dose, I sleep for the next two days. Even OTC pain meds do this to me; I really do not like taking them by script.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I gotta go now...but I'll check this thread when I come back...I thank you guys for your thoughtful discussion.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCat View Post
so I usually tell them to give me the least amount of whatever they think will work the least, and if I'm still in pain, too bad.
I took this portion of your post to mean that you take very little medications even though you may still have pain.

I think your situation is similar to my own. I took one pill when the instructions said I could take two, yet the one pill took care of the pain. I also went 6-8 hours when the instructions said I could take every 4 hours. So I was taking one pill every 6-8 hours rather than 2 pills every 4 hours.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Captain

My youngest son is hooked on pain meds like Vicidon, Percocet... His wife is on Oxycotin(sp). They are both 32 and have to small children. Jacob is 9 and Meghan is 7. He has lost his home, Car and self respect. I haven't seen him in over a year. He desperately needs prayers and thoughts. I am so worried about him, I can't stand it. Drugs are a horrible thing. I took lots of pain pills while I was dealing with my neck, I was on fentynl patch. Since i'm on the pain pump, I don't have to take any of that stuff anymore! What I is a pump and it doesn't send the narcotic drug through my body. It stays in my spine. I don't have to worry about destroying my liver anymore. Please think of my son and daughter in law, Especially the children.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
My youngest son is hooked on pain meds like Vicidon, Percocet... His wife is on Oxycotin(sp). They are both 32 and have to small children. Jacob is 9 and Meghan is 7. He has lost his home, Car and self respect. I haven't seen him in over a year. He desperately needs prayers and thoughts. I am so worried about him, I can't stand it. Drugs are a horrible thing. I took lots of pain pills while I was dealing with my neck, I was on fentynl patch. Since i'm on the pain pump, I don't have to take any of that stuff anymore! What I is a pump and it doesn't send the narcotic drug through my body. It stays in my spine. I don't have to worry about destroying my liver anymore. Please think of my son and daughter in law, Especially the children.
First, I want to say I am sorry to hear your son is in this situation. I know this sounds harsh, but have you considered contacting the authorities where your son lives? If both he and his wife are addicts, do you really think they can provide a safe environment for your grandchildren? Perhaps tough love is the best solution?

p.s. Do you know how your son started using these drugs? I personally find it hard to have sympathy for a person when their drug use started for purely recreational purposes.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 07-15-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Vice Admiral

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. This problem pervades all of our society and is not only for the "low life" or criminal type.

I invite more people to share their stories.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I'm so sorry. That's got to be the worst thing for a parent to go through...
Old 07-16-2009, 05:13 AM
Commander

I personally know someone addicted to heroin, and even though they've started rehab they're still tempted. And the story of how they got there is not what you'd expect.

She had her wisdom teeth taken out and was prescribed some opiate painkiller, not sure what kind. Her doc kept refilling her prescription and reassuring her that she wasn't going to become addicted. Well, she finally gets to the point where she stops taking it, and she starts having really bad withdrawals, to the point where she finds some asshole that sells her heroin, telling her it'll "help her".

So she shoots up for the first time, and winds up finding her way to my apartment, high as a kite. And it was at my place where she had the withdrawal too. I will honestly never forget how bad I felt for her, it wasn't pretty in the slightest. For eight weeks she kept buying heroin off this guy, and shooting up, and repeating. Finally she went to rehab but it's still, as I said, not easy at all.

At first I blamed the guy selling it to her for causing all this **** in her life, but in the end I can only blame that dick of a doctor.

Sorry for how seemingly angry I got, but this is such a close issue with me, and it tears me apart to think about what she's going through.

I've been called a hypocrite by some people because of my hate for unnatural prescription meds like this, but my favor of legalizing marijuana. I should probobly stop there, as I may be getting a bit too controversial. But in my opinion, if she was given marijuana instead of oxy/vicoden/whatever, then she wouldn't have ended up a junkie, and then in rehab.

Anyways, that's one of my stories, one of my more personal ones.