The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > The HUGE mistake!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Captain

Default The HUGE mistake!

We bought our condo 5 years ago, and the carpet was in bad shape then. Now, finally we got the money to do it! They laid tile in the foyer and some of the prettiest hardwood I have ever seen! They came yesterday to start with the upstairs. They moved stuff out of our bedroom and began to lay the floor. This morning, when I got up, my wife was getting ready for work so I sat down on the floor and noticed that the ends of each and every board had a huge crack in them! They brought hardwood that had bevels on each end, much unlike the first floor they laid! They have almost the entire bedroom laid, I called the contractor and he checked and sure enough, it was the wrong kind. There are 2 different kinds, one with a beveled end and one without. Now they have to bring more wood, take the other wood away, and tear up the new floor. I can't believe this!!! The wood had the same first name but a different second name! Anyway, the nightmare goes on!!! Anybody else have a disaster story like this?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Ensign

yikes that is a pain. At least they are going to redo it.

and no, I don't have any renovation horror stories. At least none I can blame on a contractor

Old 07-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Captain

This is the first near disaster we have gone through. We have waited 5 years for our floors and we want the correct. I'm glad the contractor found on the invoice that he wrote the correct name down, so it is the flooring companys' own fault. I'll bet someone gets chewed out over it. They will have to pay for the 2 days it will take to take up the old floor and put it down again.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Admiral

When we first bought our condo it was to be completely refinished to our order from selections they provided. We selected a grey carpet for the living room and for the entryway, white tile with pewter grout. The guys doing the work couldn't read "pewter" on the form...or didn't know what it was so went with the color they knew best that started with "p"....

Pink grout.

Yes....that is so close to "pewter".... they didn't do a great job of pulling it out and regrouting...to this day little speckles of pink show through.

Good luck!

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Rear Admiral

We don't have a horror story, but it's funny. in 1999 we began construction on an addition to our 100 year old farmhouse. Now this house has the original rock foundation, which consists of huge boulders and stones with mortar. The plan for this addition was to put a basement under it separate from the old, icky, original basement of the house and to have a staircase going directly to it. But, while they were excavating for the addition, a 10-foot section of the old foundation collapsed! One guy barely escaped from the falling stone. So, we decided that since we now had a hole we would just connect the basements and forget our lavish plans for an entertainment room.

Needless to say, there hasn't been much entertaining down there, although it is finished nicely.