The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > First Look-'Clash of the Titans' Remake
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I'm not talking "like" I mean that's not realistic.
Who builds a ship for the express purpose of watching TV on the underside...
A potential ONE TIME USE for taking over a planet?

It was just tiles that turned over...like something out of Chicken Little.
Very unimaginative
Cliche'
Unrealistic sensationalism and one of a few signs that the movie will have no other purpose but to attempt to be sensational but ultimately will try too hard. NBC doesn't do good TV out the gate.
That image on the bottom of the ship really has you all ticked off!! I think tiles are not something chicken little invented. I suppose the tiles in this new V are similar to the tiles in chicken little since those ones could change color and act like cloak. Perhaps the ships in V have a similar cloak? Will that too be rip off of chicken little? I don't think so.

I think your prejudging just a little too much. Sounds like you already know how the series will turn out just because the bottom of the ship can act like a giant TV screen.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
I'm not talking "like" I mean that's not realistic.
One more thing. How are we to know what is "realistic" when it comes to technology that enables interstellar travel? Perhaps the Visitors have done this before on other planets? If so, then maybe they have figured the best way to turn a population into food is to lull them into trusting you. I also don't see why nanotechnology could not easily turn just about anything into a TV screen.

personally, I find the giant tv screen on the bottom of a starship to be more possible than a transporter or a holodeck.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Federation Councillor

The TV on the underside of the ships looks like the least of the concerns - and no-one remember the giant floating advertising billboards in Blade Runner? I'm sure it could be an extrapolation of the same idea.

Sam Worthington was staggeringly dull in the snoozefest that was 'Terminator: Salvation'. It made me a little concerned for Cameron's 'Avatar', so his presence in this film certainly doesn't whet my appetite.

That said, Leterrier delivered a surprisingly effective and action packed 'The Incredible Hulk' so as long as his script doesn't get bogged down and he keeps the pace then it may be a diverting couple of hours.

I don't know if they mean he's going '300' in terms of CGI backdrops. Or the fighting styles. That's a bit worrying. '300' was style-over-substance flimsiness. With more than a slight sexual subtext. I think it may have had a couple of historical glitches as well - More a technical achievement than of anything else. That said, COTT doesn't have a deep basis either so maybe it could work.

But I think for COTT you want the real locations with good CGI overlapping.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 07-14-2009 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
One more thing. How are we to know what is "realistic" when it comes to technology that enables interstellar travel? Perhaps the Visitors have done this before on other planets? If so, then maybe they have figured the best way to turn a population into food is to lull them into trusting you. I also don't see why nanotechnology could not easily turn just about anything into a TV screen.

personally, I find the giant tv screen on the bottom of a starship to be more possible than a transporter or a holodeck.
MrQ1701,

I'm not saying you can't dig it. But I find it incredibly unrealistic and impractical as a future technology or and advance technology.

The ship appears over head and the tiles turn over.
Millions of joint-locks covering the bottom of a vechile designed to travel through an interstellar vaccum. No I don't buy it.
There are better ways to reveal yourself.

a. hijack radio transmissions
b. broadcast a pirate signal
c. progect a hologram.

and then theres the really obvious choices if you're a conquering race attempting to look peaceful.

d. Send a Message from Space and don't hover above major cities and buildings.
e. Send an envoy to the appropriate authrities.

I bet these ships have weapons.
How does a TV on the bottom of a ship really gear us for battle?
What a massive waste of space....

Now every Movie since Independence Day to Vistors to Alien Nation loved the idea of big threatening ships hovering over major population centers and the intent of the aliens have rarely been beneign so if the idea was to lull the governments into a false sense of security then we're talking "PHAIL"

No one is going to look at a fleet of ships and decided hovering over Washington DC is benevolent act and gesture, culture is irrelevant if aliens were benevolent they would do their research about the best approach. If there was no reasearch to make a Good First Contact then you might as well assume somethings wrong.

Realisticly. Any take over will take Years.
Even V was wrong about this. Manipulation could be a fine scalpel or a blunt object. But this is Hollywood SOO....

Some of the Hollywood things I'd be willing to let go:

1. Hovering over Cities
2. Fast pace Takeover agendas
3. Massive Fleet of ships as a peace force.

These are things done for dramatic effect.
They almost can't be helped because realism is always (or almost always) giving in to Hollywood Sensationalism...(RATINGS)

4. Good Guys all win in the end....

Things I won't let go.

1. Human Alien Hybrids from mating: It's just stupid. The original did it...Stop just Stop it...It was new then and now it's cliche'

2. Governements that fold overnight:
Those are called bad plot devices. There are over 260 Countries...they're not all going to give up and the US will be the last to fold especially the military.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Quote:
TV's on the Bottom of Interstellar Starships....
Who designs a ship like that?
GAG-ME...

That's Hollywood sensationalism once again swiping the "Why Not" Card Account...

...a never ending cash flow of the unrealistic and unlikely.

Not to mention, they stole the idea from "Battle Beyond the Stars'" Saydor...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Commander

I think you are assuming too much Saq.

This version of 'V' tones things down a bit. There are only 6 ships floating over major cities of the world. In the original there was something like 32 ships most of them hovering over the most populous U.S. cities. Even one showing up in like a suburb or something, that was a little over the top for me, but who is to say what aliens would or would not do? As for floating over major cities that's a good way of getting the world's attention. So 6 vs. 32, which does look like an invasion fleet.

I'm willing to suspend judgement on the new 'V' till i've seen it, i think you should do the same. We don't know governements will fold over night, or that there will be human/alien mating. As for turning the bottom of the ship into a giant TV screen, whose to say what alien technology would or would not do? And once you've gotten the world's attention with your hovering fleet, you do have to find a way to make contact that isn't too threatening. Yeah, i would have thought it cool if they hijacked all our communications systems, interrupted all radio waves, cell phones, satellites, then made their announcement.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I think you are assuming too much Saq.
well...yeah...it hasn't come out yet.
Quote:

This version of 'V' tones things down a bit. There are only 6 ships floating over major cities of the world. In the original there was something like 32 ships most of them hovering over the most populous U.S. cities. Even one showing up in like a suburb or something, that was a little over the top for me, but who is to say what aliens would or would not do? As for floating over major cities that's a good way of getting the world's attention. So 6 vs. 32, which does look like an invasion fleet.
Chator...it's fiction.
We decided from the human experience what would look like an attack.
But like I said it doesn't matter what would really happen because aliens would actually think about that first contact first and not just appear.

Quote:
I'm willing to suspend judgement on the new 'V' till i've seen it, i think you should do the same. We don't know governements will fold over night, or that there will be human/alien mating. As for turning the bottom of the ship into a giant TV screen, whose to say what alien technology would or would not do? And once you've gotten the world's attention with your hovering fleet, you do have to find a way to make contact that isn't too threatening. Yeah, i would have thought it cool if they hijacked all our communications systems, interrupted all radio waves, cell phones, satellites, then made their announcement.
Yeah it would be a major boom to hijack the major comms..
but it's far less threatening than showing up with a fleet over your cities.
Ultimately you could do it just like Anubis did in Stargate Continuum...

Just place a call to the President.
Leave the Fleet in orbit.
Why is Stargate the only ones that see the logic in communication between species is delicate....

I mean Chator you say who's to say...
Well we do...we say. It's fiction...we should do what makes sense to us and not assume aliens with this level of technology are dumbies.

Wars have started over lesser things.

(Sidebar)
I remember in Babylon Five...

They attempted to make the Minbari thinking seem real alien. In the first encounter with a human ship they charged their weapons which to them was a sign of respect. The cruiser from Earth opened fired and blew them away.

To assume that everyone thinks like you is ridiculous. It's always best not to make a gesture than to make a possibliy hostile gesture. Yeah even no gesture can be interpreted badly by a culture but it's really safe to say no advance culture will view Hovering Warships over your place of governement as a gesture of peace. The odds are low...

Old 07-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
MrQ1701,

I'm not saying you can't dig it. But I find it incredibly unrealistic and impractical as a future technology or and advance technology.

The ship appears over head and the tiles turn over.
Millions of joint-locks covering the bottom of a vechile designed to travel through an interstellar vaccum. No I don't buy it.
There are better ways to reveal yourself.

a. hijack radio transmissions
b. broadcast a pirate signal
c. progect a hologram.

Okay. I can see where your coming from. I too think the huge ships hovering over cities is a poor way to introduce yourself when your intentions are peaceful. It may be cliche, but I still dig it. I think it adds a conflict to the series. One group believing they are peaceful and another group saying "then why have ships over major cities?"

p.s. I wouldn't be surprised if this is addressed in the series.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm setting my expectations....really low...so all we can go...is up.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Commander

No.

No.

No.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

NO!

NO!

Just.... No.