The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Ideals of Construction ...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Ensign

Default Ideals of Construction ...

In the scene where Kirk rides to the Riverside shipyards to see the half-built Enterprise, the timeline in the movie establishes it takes another three years before she goes up into orbit and is ready to go into service (test runs notwithstanding).

So here's an thought ... how long overall (given the advances in construction technology that may take place between now and the time the movie takes place in) do you think it would have taken from when her keel was laid to the final completion of the Enterprise ??

Given her size and how long it takes to build and aircraft carrier these days ... ...

Last edited by stephenhiggins53 : 07-13-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

?? Insert any number between 4 and 8.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger View Post
?? Insert any number between 4 and 8.
A good range but pointless because nobody has a clue. Anyone that says otherwise would be like someone in 1776 knowing how long it would take to build a carrier in 1976. Not that anyone then could even fathom such a beast.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Vice Admiral

I don't recall it being established in the movie that the construction of the Enterprise took another 3 years to complete from the point where we see Kirk viewing the shipyard. When was that established? All I know is that 3 years after Kirk joins Starfleet (which is how long it took him to earn his commission) the Enterprise is already in service with Captain Pike in command. We can't assume anything. The 1701 could have been in service for a year for all we know. Did I forget some dialog that establishes the 3 year thing?

One more question. Did the shipyard scene firmly establish it was the Enterprise being built? Were the registry numbers and/or name visible?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I don't recall it being established in the movie that the construction of the Enterprise took another 3 years to complete from the point where we see Kirk viewing the shipyard. When was that established? All I know is that 3 years after Kirk joins Starfleet (which is how long it took him to earn his commission) the Enterprise is already in service with Captain Pike in command. We can't assume anything. The 1701 could have been in service for a year for all we know. Did I forget some dialog that establishes the 3 year thing?
Yes, but there has not yet been an official launching ceremony. Something the ship and crew would get as a reward for returning from the mission. There may have even been a shakedown test of ship and systems, but she had not yet been on a "mission", so figurativly speaking, she was not "complete" until her official launch.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Lieutenant

When Pike makes the announcement to the bridge crew before leaving for Vulcan, he specifically mentions that this is the "maiden voyage" of the Enterprise.

The keel for USS Ronald Reagan was laid in Feb 1998; she was launched in Mar 2001 and commissioned in Jul 2003. Her maiden voyage in that same month followed her commissioning.

So, if you take that as a rough example for the Enterprise's construction, the ship may have had her keel laid as early as 2253, launched around 2256 and commissioned in 2258.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 07-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
One more question. Did the shipyard scene firmly establish it was the Enterprise being built? Were the registry numbers and/or name visible?
Yes I believe so, as the shuttle was flying off '1701' was on the hull. I might be mistaken.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
When Pike makes the announcement to the bridge crew before leaving for Vulcan, he specifically mentions that this is the "maiden voyage" of the Enterprise.

Thanks. I missed that.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Yes, but there has not yet been an official launching ceremony. Something the ship and crew would get as a reward for returning from the mission. There may have even been a shakedown test of ship and systems, but she had not yet been on a "mission", so figurativly speaking, she was not "complete" until her official launch.
Especially if she were the first of her kind...
She had to be finished, launched (by whatever means), systems integrated and tested, flight trials, possible modifications to existing systems, more testing and flight trials, a declaration of flight worthiness, and then a christening/launch ceremony. When the cadets left for Starfleet and flew past the "E", there still seemed to be much more left to be even externally finished. I would be surprised that three years was enough time for a "first production model".
Old 07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
I would be surprised that three years was enough time for a "first production model".
And thus they have something to do until 2011.