The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Anyone else have The Conduit?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Rear Admiral

Default Anyone else have The Conduit?

If you didn't know it a video game for the Wii. If you do have it add me to your friend list.

Online friend code: 5199 0556 8730
Username: Klingon

Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Diron I dont have it sorry. I do have a wii though!
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 07-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Vice Admiral

Nope. Dont have any consoles anyways. Just my PC.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
Diron I dont have it sorry. I do have a wii though!
Well if you ever do get it, you have my friend code.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Vice Admiral

If its the game I saw on commercials the last week or two it looks really good graphics-wise. Gameplay is always whats most important however. You get the job of telling everyone here how it plays and why you like or dislike it.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Rear Admiral

I'm too lazy to write a full review.

The only thing I don't like about it is the campaign is too short(only 9 levels).

Last edited by Diron Hod : 07-13-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diron Hod View Post

The only thing I don't like about it is the campaign is too short(only 9 levels).
What do you do afterwards? Is there online multiplayer? Bots for non-campaign offline play (ability for community made maps/mods and such)? Personally, if a game has neither then its not worth it unless it costs $20 or less.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Rear Admiral

It has lots of online play with three different modes, Free for All(Kill everyone, Bountyhunter, and capture the flag), Team Reaper(Kill the other team), and Team Objective(mostly capture the flag).

No community made maps/mods though.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diron Hod View Post
Here I found a really good review:
Quote:
First thing I notice about the game: The environments are very complete and recognizable. The airport looks exactly like an airport, and there are very few areas that resemble one another, except those that do intentionally. The use of locations around DC is original and inspired in a way that games usually do not have the aim to achieve, and did not feel at all contrived. Normally in this sort of genre, we get fictional or uniform military installations or environments that don't always seem to play by the rules of logic.

The gameplay is incredibly linear. That's not a horrible thing, though. Every bit of ground is hard-won and fought for, and the action only slows when you choose not to progress. Also, the environments are very seamless and diverse in their own way. Because of the linearity and the way that gameplay elements are handled, it seems to present that old school video game feel that was so present in older titles. A good game, and FPS games especially, have the ability to draw you into an environment. The abilities of the A.S.E. help to ensure that you are compelled to explore every inch, once you've won an area.

To criticize its execution: the game is short by today's standards, in part because of its linearity. That is not an issue to me, as most games do not maintain the same level of diversity, subtly increasing in difficulty the whole game through. I am quite used to the days of action games that you could expect to last 6 hours at the very most, and I would liken the Conduit more to those - in that respect, a solid 12 or more hours of nonstop gameplay is satisfying to me. I'm also mature enough to realize that this game did not have a publisher secured up until its point of release, and was therefore developed on High Voltage's own finances.

Overall, I can see why people are accusing this game of mediocrity, but I disagree. I can't stand military games like Call of Duty, because they feel so bland and uninspired. It's been quite a while since Nintendo owners were treated to a sci-fi shooter, and Gheist wasn't truly up to the job. The Timesplitter series has always been fantastic, but it's been years since Future Perfect, and that series never took itself seriously.

On the technical side of things, the game has a fantastic breadth of effects at play. The lighting effects are so well done, I wish they played a heavier role in the game than showing the muzzle flash of whatever weapon you're firing. The water effects are dramatic and realistic. The gloss-mapping and real mapping are there, although much more subtle and in smaller amounts than the heavy use of bump-mapping in id Software's recent titles. More surprising was the use of detail mapping. Detail textures are so underused and often ignored, so it was an added touch that I greatly appreciated.

Graphically, I would definitely say that the Conduit does not have the artistic grace of the Metroid Prime series, but then again the makers of the Conduit did not have the luxury of a totally original style of environment as Prime does.

Oftentimes when a game receives a tremendous amount of hype, gamers seem to expect it to superceed the bounds of gaming in general. I've yet to see the game that can do that, though, and I actually enjoy the minor play-world feeling I get from a complete video game environment.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

I had a Wii and sold it for much profit, Ferengi style!