The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > A Clockwork Orange
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Commander

Default A Clockwork Orange

Is anyone else here a fan of this movie? It's defiantly my #1 film, but it really messed me up the first time I saw it. Still, an amazing film, and Stanley Kubrick's crowning achievement! The performance of Alex, played by Malcolm McDowell (Yes, THE Malcolm McDowell, who played Soran in Generations) is absolutely phenomenal, and he is definatly my top movie villain of all time.

Here's and IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/
Old 07-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

LOVE this movie! Malcolm McDowell smoked the role of Alex.

I still have yet to read the book, though.

What amazed me was that this movie was shot in 1971. Then again, it was Stanley Kubrick, and his cinematography has ALWAYS been ahead of its time...just look at "2001: A Space Odyssey", that movie was made in '68, and it looks as if it were made in 1980....even before the advent of hi-def.

The first time I saw 2001 as a kid, I couldn't believe it was made in '68. And when I saw A Clockwork Orange on Cinemax for the first time, back in '80 or '81, I thought it was a recent movie, made in '79 or '78. I didn't learn it was made in '71 until I read it in a text book in high school.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Vice Admiral

When I was in the Army, we used to get drunk and watch C.O. in the boy's barracks, and then set things on fire with lighter fluid. Dam good times.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Admiral

The book is well worth a read. I found the movie very disturbing and difficult...which means it's majorly great.... jerhanner....you have a lot of fun stories in your past don't you?

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Vice Admiral

Yes, excellent movie. It was on one of the HD movie channels a couple months ago and the quality was great. Wonderful social commentary.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post
Is anyone else here a fan of this movie? It's defiantly my #1 film, but it really messed me up the first time I saw it. Still, an amazing film, and Stanley Kubrick's crowning achievement! The performance of Alex, played by Malcolm McDowell (Yes, THE Malcolm McDowell, who played Soran in Generations) is absolutely phenomenal, and he is definatly my top movie villain of all time.

Here's and IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/
When I pointed out, to my grown daughter, the fact that the person who played a role in Heroes was the one who played in CO, she did a double-take and a light bulb came on! She is not a ST person or I would have also been able to point out that he was in ST Generations. She, for some reason had also assumed that CO was a fairly recent movie and had not made the connection!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Admiral

I always say you should watch Clockwork back to back with 2001. They're polar extremes on the same theme, being humanity. Both films are wonderful IMO and in totally opposite ways: one film takes humanity in one direction, the other takes in quite a different direction!

The good and the ugly.

Great film, Clockwork!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 07-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Lieutenant

It might be a good place to explain the meaning of the title, A Clockwork Orange.

I heard the author explain it in a television interview. He said only someone over 50 years old would understand the reference (and this interview was some decades ago now). The term is from a once common expression in England, 'You're as mad as a clockwork orange'.

The clockwork orange was an orange colored wind-up ball shaped toy with many moving metal parts that, when released, would vibrate and move it's metal parts repeatedly up and down and in and out in a meaningless but active pattern with much clattering and noise. It was for entertaining little children.

I have taken the movie's title to refer to the mindless, violent activities of the thugs of the movie who have no moral base for their existence.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Commander

A brilliant film that owns a proud spot in my collection.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Fleet Admiral

Indeed.

Somehow, I came away with the notion that Clockwork Orange referred to Alex who would go docile and soft whenever someone committed violence upon him after his psycho-conditioning: soft like an orange, on cue like clockwork.