The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > TOS Pasts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 PM

I'd give a pretty penny to know a little more about McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov and Uhura. But if i had to pick two of them i'd pick McCoy and Uhura. The two characters have such interesting possibilities. I'd like to see Uhura as a girl in Africa, staring up at the stars and dreaming about them, and McCoy is the ultimate Trek enigma. We know almost nothing about him. J.J., please give us a little background on the good doctor, just a peek maybe?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Rear Admiral

I would like to know more about Uhura as well. But I think keeping McCoy a bit of a mystery is what makes him great.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
I'd give a pretty penny to know a little more about McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov and Uhura. But if i had to pick two of them i'd pick McCoy and Uhura. The two characters have such interesting possibilities. I'd like to see Uhura as a girl in Africa, staring up at the stars and dreaming about them, and McCoy is the ultimate Trek enigma. We know almost nothing about him. J.J., please give us a little background on the good doctor, just a peek maybe?
Hear, hear! In my ideal movie those ideas would get more screentime then Spock's story, but since this isn't my movie I guess I'll just have to keep hoping for a scene or two.

...Or five. Or more! Bring on the backstories.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Berengarius7-

Does the penny have to be pretty, what if it just has a good personality??? LOL, sorry couldn't resist...lol

McCoy would be my first choice for knowing more about, we know alot about Kirk and Spock.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Lieutenant Commander

One thing I'd like to see is how competent all the characters are. The Enterprise is supposed to be the best ship in the fleet with the best crew. In TOS we've seen Kirk's abilities and Spock's and to a lesser extent McCoy's and Scotty's, but the other crew members should get some chance to shine.

Rather than Scotty hitting his head on a support beam after telling Kirk, Spock and McCoy he knew every inch of the ship, I'd like to see more evidence that he knows every inch of the ship.

Rather than McCoy not knowing Vulcuan anatomy or Klingon anatomy I'd like to see him look at a species and sum it's biology up from memory with ease.

Rather than Uhura reading Klingon badly out of a book, I'd like her to scoff at the universal translator since she speaks hundreds of languages fluently.

I'd like to see Sulu helm the ship and guide it like no other helmsman (Kirk included) ever could.

I'd like to see Chekhov do something besides assign all achievements of humanity to Russians and scream when he sees a dead body.

Show us that these are the best and brightest that Starfleet has to offer and why Kirk trusts his life and his ship with these men and women. Don't make fun of them, have fun with them.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Commander

Yeah, but just because McCoy doesn't have a lot of experience with Klingon or Vulcan physiology or Uhura isn't fluent in hundreds of languages doesn't cheapen the characters. It adds to their humanity and shows they aren't perfect.

McCoy isn't an EMH.
Uhura isn't a linguist (as far as we know). Hoshi Sato WAS. Big difference.

These officers don't start off the best crew ever, they become the best crew ever over the course of their careers through their explorations and their experiences.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Federation Councillor

Well said RedShirt!!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I still don't buy it.

The stuff with Uhura was a cheap way to get laughs and was done at the expense of the character, we were laughing at her, not with her (same deal with the stuff with Scotty) It's easier to write stuff like that, but harder to write stuff like VH where the humor was in the context of the movie and not at the expense of the characters. In that movie we saw just how great a lot of the characters were. Scotty had the molecular structure of transparent aluminum in his head and could use an antique computer to show it, he could built a tank for whales in an enemy ship he'd only been on for a very short time. Sulu could easily fly not only an antique helicopter (albeit after remembering where the windshield wipers were) but also an enemy ship. Uhura could bring up images and had complete control of the communication systems on an enemy ship she'd been on for only a short while. Spock handled the time travel calculations with half a lobe tied behind his back. McCoy had all the scenes in the hospital. Chekhov . . . well I don't recall how he showed himself to be exemplary. The point is, each character showed themselves to be the very best in their field and there was plenty of humor in the movie, but not at the expense of the characters.

Sure Uhura might not be a linguist, but I'd bet she'd know more languages that Soto merely due to the fact that in the 23rd century humanity had contact with a lot more species and had learned their languages than in Soto's time. It's not a stretch to assume that several languages, including Klingon (for example, at the height of the cold war Russian was a good language to know in a lot of military circles) would be course requirements at the Academy and that the communications officer on the best ship in the fleet would have graduated at the top of the class.

The same thing with McCoy. That he couldn't revive the Klingon in UC served as an important plot point, but at the expense of McCoy's character. Why wouldn't he have a good working knowledge of Klingon anatomy? Why wouldn't he have a good working knowledge of Vulcan anatomy? He serves on a starship going where no man has gone before with Vulcans on its crew, at least one anyway, and Vulcans are throughout Starfleet and the Federation. Surely the ship's doctor on the best ship in the fleet would have that knowledge. Surely a doctor going where no man has gone before would be one that knew how to treat many species and how to learn about new ones very quickly. Running into Klingons wasn't uncommon in TOS, so a working knowledge of Klingon anatomy would seem to have been mandatory.

Of course the junior officers (Uhura, Sulu, Chekhov) grow and improve during their time on the Enterprise. But surely they started out as the top of their classes from the Academy. On the other hand, the senior officers (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty) should already be the tops in their fields.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Commander

I totally disagree that the Klingon dialogue scenes in TUC were done at the expense of her character. She's a communications officer, not a translator or (like I said before) a linguist.

The other stuff you write about from TVH is TWENTY YEARS after the original series--after these people had time to become the best crew ever. Hell, it wasn't until the movies that Starfleet theoretically adopted the Enterprise's delta shield as it's emblem based on the service of Kirk and crew.

At the time McCoy tried to heal Chancellor Gorkon, the Klingons were still the enemy. There wouldn't be a wealth of data. Besides, Gorkon's wounds were pretty extensive and McCoy wasn't an expert. That's not at the expense of his character at all. In the days of TOS, there was also another doctor on the Enterprise who WAS more familiar with Vulcan physiology. (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/M%27Benga) McCoy didn't know everything---and that's key to the character. Hell, he didn't even know he could heal the Horta until he patched it with cement.

They may have been the top in their respective classes at SFA. Who knows? The point is no matter how good they are, at the end of the day, they're human. They will make mistakes and, despite those mistakes, they will venture into the unknown. They shouldn't be flawless, nor should they be uber-talented.

THAT'S what Star Trek is ABOUT.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The Uhura scene made her look like an idiot it vastly undersold the abilities of the character. Maybe it's because I've read too many TOS novels where the characters were fleshed out a lot more and in one Uhura was made an ultra competent communications officer who didn't need the universal translator. She was Soto before Soto was Soto.

Sure M'Benga was on staff, but McCoy was the senior doctor and should have known most, if not all of what M'Benga knew. The Horta stuff is an excellent example of how McCoy's character should be shown: the kind of doctor who could heal just about everything, not perfect, but a guy who'd try and succeed in the clutch. In UC he was shown to be incompetent and set up to be shown that way. It should have been written that McCoy knew what to do, did it, but it didn't work. He could still have been "railroaded" along with Kirk into the trail, been called incompetent, while all the time knowing that he did what was necessary and things didn't work, so he would have known something wasn't kosher. McCoy had served decades as a Starfleet doctor, surely he'd have a good knowledge of Klingon physiology.

The crew shouldn't be flawless, and not as good as they will be, but when Kirk took over from Pike the ship was still the best in the fleet. So the crew and captain selected would have been the best of the best. That's what I'd like to see.

Underselling the abilities of the characters is just like in all the episodes of TOS where the writers had to break the technology on the Enterprise to ratchet up the tension. That's the easy way out. Surely a talented writer could have all the tension needed with competent characters and working technology. Don't undersell the abilities of the characters just because it's an easy way out.