The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Nimoy Interview
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default New Nimoy Interview

http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/07/...Trek-XII.shtml

Quote:
DM: Was the last line you said in the film, "Thrusters on full," a symbolic passing of the torch?
L: Dan, I am so delighted you are asking me this question. No one has asked me it before. That line was not in the script. We had shot the scene and were done with it and I said to JJ, "If you give me one more take, I have a thought I would like to inject here and see if you like it." We shot it again and I said, "Thrusters on full." It was kind of a blessing and a passing of the torch. It was an absolutely on-the-spot idea I came up with and it was not in the script. Then JJ called me sometime later and said that he was amazed at how it fit into the next scene on the bridge because then they start talking about the thrusters! So there was a connection almost as if it had been designed that way. I wasn't thinking about the bridge scene, I was simply thinking about saying to these young guys, "go ahead. Take the torch and go!"
And he also talks about Trek's future.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

The man looks good.
He's taking care of himself.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Ensign

As much as I love Leonard Nimoy, and think he is and always will be the one true Spock, I hope they don’t include him in the next movie. He did a wonderful job handing the baton to the new crew, and now it’s time for them to have exciting adventures of their own.

That said, the fanboy in me would love to see the next movie featuring Spock Prime rescuing Shatner’s Kirk, ending with them disappearing together into the stars.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quoth Spock:

Quote:
It was kind of a blessing and a passing of the torch. It was an absolutely on-the-spot idea I came up with and it was not in the script.
Nimoy rocks!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Lieutenant

Leonard Nimoy is the man, but you all knew that already.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenhiggins53 View Post
That said, the fanboy in me would love to see the next movie featuring Spock Prime rescuing Shatner’s Kirk, ending with them disappearing together into the stars.
Unfortunately that would go over like pure cheese.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

If they ever do a tv series with the new crew there would be lots of storys that could guest star Nimoy
Old 07-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Midshipman

Nimoy was so good in this movie, but i don't think he'll be in the next.

its funny that "Thrusters at full" is a phrase i don't think we've heard before, having said that it would be better than him saying "one quarter impulse".
I was glad he was in the film as to me Star Trek is never quite the same without Nimoy's portrayal as Spock.
Quinto has a lot to live up to, but he does a pretty good job.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post

Wowwwww!!! I love hearing of things like that. He didn't even know where the scene would pick up and things just happened to work out well that way, and it really is perfect! A passing of the torch, that's a beautiful picture

Nimoy's just "Simply the Best". I absolutely loved seeing his portrayal of Spock in this last movie. I hope he'll have a part in the next one. Even if it's not on screen, I'd love it if JJ and crew would allow him to be behind the scenes for maybe advisement, as a consultant, or maybe even just to hang around and watch the filming. That'd be cool.

Last edited by SouthernSpockette : 07-10-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:08 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post

Outstanding interview. I particularly love that he has a very balanced and in perspective view of the updatings that were made for the new film and the changes made as a result.

As usual, Nimoy is intelligent, perceptive and and engaging interview.

I think my favourite bit was -

'The Spock that I played in this movie is closer to me, in my personal life condition, than he has ever been before. It was a “performance” during the series years and during the film years because I was far more human and emotional, in the broadest terms, than the Spock I was playing – now that doesn’t mean that Spock had no emotions; as we all know, Spock had his own inner life. But what I was playing was a very logical, very cool, rational Spock. In this movie, my Spock has come to terms with himself in a very comfortable way. So I see myself up there as Spock now whereas Zachary did a wonderful job bringing us a Spock character before the Spock that I played in the original Star Trek series. And, finally, at the end of this movie, we see him arriving at the Spock that I played during the original series.'

I loved that he summarised that about his and Quinto's portrayal, I definitely got that sense especially in the final scene they have together.

courtesy of Saquist