The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > What's Next After Blu-ray Discs?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Whatever we get next, I predict shrinkage. There is a limit to how small we can make video tech, it has to be big enough for us to manipulate with our hands, but I do believe a full powered game console like the next generation X-Box (insert new number here), PS4, Nintendo (insert insipid colorful epithet here), won't be any bigger than a VHS cassette. SD mini's can hold up to what, about 16 GB now? Something along those lines is very probable, but that should be about the limit. Anything smaller and you're going to have to bust out a microscope and tweezers to insert your game in your console. Movies will probably end up along the same lines, after that, they'll be some move, I'm sure to make them pirate proof. Movie studios want them sold, not given away. When you have achieved the ultimate in miniturization and portability, you've reached it, after that it's just upping the capacity and capability. I also predict that the next generation game consoles will have such stunning graphics, playing a game will be like playing the evening news. You'll be able to walk around in a virtual fantasy or sci-fi setting that looks like a real place. The monsters you fight will look and move every bit as realistically as a real pride of lions on Animal Planet. After that, be looking out for the holodeck.
I would agree, with good improvement in wi-fi tech that the game could be downloaded/uploaded from one's home pc or whatever after initial purchase and from the mfg. there would be some way password the user as the purchaser of the software to prevent pirating or mutiple users.

Last edited by Futureguy : 07-13-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Whatever we get next, I predict shrinkage. There is a limit to how small we can make video tech, it has to be big enough for us to manipulate with our hands, but I do believe a full powered game console like the next generation X-Box (insert new number here), PS4, Nintendo (insert insipid colorful epithet here), won't be any bigger than a VHS cassette. SD mini's can hold up to what, about 16 GB now? Something along those lines is very probable, but that should be about the limit. Anything smaller and you're going to have to bust out a microscope and tweezers to insert your game in your console. Movies will probably end up along the same lines, after that, they'll be some move, I'm sure to make them pirate proof. Movie studios want them sold, not given away. When you have achieved the ultimate in miniturization and portability, you've reached it, after that it's just upping the capacity and capability. I also predict that the next generation game consoles will have such stunning graphics, playing a game will be like playing the evening news. You'll be able to walk around in a virtual fantasy or sci-fi setting that looks like a real place. The monsters you fight will look and move every bit as realistically as a real pride of lions on Animal Planet. After that, be looking out for the holodeck.
Well said. I agree completely

I also want to add that I don't think owning a physical copy will ever go away. Being able to download something is nice, but actually having a library of discs, tapes, or "chips" will never go out of style... well, at least not until every home has a central computer with massive storage and a very reliable set up.

I can't wait until the bigscreen in my living room doubles as my telephone, computer, and TV.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Vice Admiral

Plug in Flash drives with movies on them. The "Flash Drive Reader" That you can hook up to a TV would be really neat. Hard To Break, No Scratches. Perfect.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
Plug in Flash drives with movies on them. The "Flash Drive Reader" That you can hook up to a TV would be really neat. Hard To Break, No Scratches. Perfect.
Yep, I think that is were things will go next. Once a small thumb drive size flash can store enough memory for an entire full HD movie, I don't see why it won't become the next way to deliver movies to home viewers. I would think it would be more reliable. Perhaps the pins where you plug in the flash drive, like the USB port, may be susceptible to early wear and tear?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Captain

There was also the laser disc, and the CED Video disc. I had over 30 titles of the ced format, I loved it! I think the next step would be something that could be done now, but won't because it would lose millions in profit for the ptb. The Netflix streaming online is the wave of the future, in my opinion. With my new Blu ray player, I can just push a button, and watch a movie! I'm not ready for that either, as I love to collect movies! I love the cases, the artwork, I just love to buy movies.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Vice Admiral

We have iTunes chipping away at CDs. Next we will have iFlicks chipping away at DVDs. I wonder if that name has been trademarked yet?