The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > What's Next After Blu-ray Discs?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
Nah in 100 years we'll forgo technology all together and live like cavemen.
No you must be PC. That should be 'cavepeople'
Old 07-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Or, in 100 years, plug our brains into the 'Net -- run by Cyberdyne Industries (Terminator)!

(Or, alternatively, whatever the name of the entity in the Matrix movies was.)

Damn, you beat me to the punch! LOL!

Actually, it would seem that "laserdiscs" have been forgotten about in the listing of the evolution of video entertainment.

As for videogame consoles going solid state, the Sony PSP's (PlayStation Portable) next model will be called the PSP Go, and it will be solid state. No UMD drive (the previous model's primary format). It will sport either an 8 or 16GB internal hard drive that you can store games or save data, or other media on, and it will also still support the memory stick duo, so you can have an external HDD so to speak. Games will be downloaded from the PlayStation Network Store. However, Sony is going to continue to develop games in UMD (the proprietary disc format for PSP), because they don't want UMD users to feel shafted.

When I get my PSP Go, I will use the internal HDD for game saves and patch upgrades, and use external MS Duos for downloading/storing games and media.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned

We are Borg of E! Entertainment Channel!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftysaxdude View Post
Betamax was a superior technology, it yielded a superior quality of picture. VHS was just better marketed.
Actually Sony threw the big copyright on Betamax and made it exclusive to Sony so everyone else went with VHS. Quite possibly the biggest marketing fiasco in Sony's history.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
Actually Sony threw the big copyright on Betamax and made it exclusive to Sony so everyone else went with VHS. Quite possibly the biggest marketing fiasco in Sony's history.
Also people much preferred VHS because of its longer running time. At their respective highest quality settings a betamax could hold one hour or so while VHS could hold two.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Also people much preferred VHS because of its longer running time. At their respective highest quality settings a betamax could hold one hour or so while VHS could hold two.
And even more....since many movies released on VHS were well over the two-hour running time, and many of those did not require a second tape.

Sony has its revenge now with Blu-Ray, since it won the hi-def format war against HD-DVD.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Commander

Whatever we get next, I predict shrinkage. There is a limit to how small we can make video tech, it has to be big enough for us to manipulate with our hands, but I do believe a full powered game console like the next generation X-Box (insert new number here), PS4, Nintendo (insert insipid colorful epithet here), won't be any bigger than a VHS cassette. SD mini's can hold up to what, about 16 GB now? Something along those lines is very probable, but that should be about the limit. Anything smaller and you're going to have to bust out a microscope and tweezers to insert your game in your console. Movies will probably end up along the same lines, after that, they'll be some move, I'm sure to make them pirate proof. Movie studios want them sold, not given away. When you have achieved the ultimate in miniturization and portability, you've reached it, after that it's just upping the capacity and capability. I also predict that the next generation game consoles will have such stunning graphics, playing a game will be like playing the evening news. You'll be able to walk around in a virtual fantasy or sci-fi setting that looks like a real place. The monsters you fight will look and move every bit as realistically as a real pride of lions on Animal Planet. After that, be looking out for the holodeck.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
Beta and VHS are BASICALLY the same technology. I bet we're going to be going away from Disc and physical media all together. Eventually your TV Will just download the movie you want to see.
I agree, I think this is pretty much where things are heading as well. It's already happened quite a bit with music, so many now just download music from iTunes or something similar rather than buying a CD. Same will happen with movies eventually, but it'll be awhile. A hard drive that could hold your entire movie collection would be pretty freakin' big! Assuming you have more than ten movies or so.

I'd say we'll stay with DVD and blu-ray for awhile. Just to store a blu-ray quality movie takes an enormous amount of space.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 07-11-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
No you must be PC. That should be 'cavepeople'
Old 07-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
After that, be looking out for the holodeck.
That would be something if we have a holodeck before we have sent a human being to another solar system.. It seems like technology is moving at an alarming rate in terms of entertainment and basic conveniences but as far as space exploration goes...we are nowhere close.

-Captain Jonathan Archer

Last edited by Raul4510 : 07-13-2009 at 09:01 AM.