The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Can DS9 stand on its own?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
Will watching DS9 without seeing all the TNG series make sense or is there much overlap as far as characters and plots? Or, should I start with TNG and work my way through until I get to DN9?
DS9 stands very well on it's own. There will be minor things that you would already be familiar with if you watch TNG first.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Lieutenant

If I can find inexpensive copies of DS9, I'd like to watch it. I'm going to stop by the library- just don't want to fork over $$$ without knowing if I ilke it. (Got to save up for the new HDTV, Blu-ray, and ST movies- wedding anniversary, birthday, and Christmas all rolled into one )
Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
If I can find inexpensive copies of DS9, I'd like to watch it. I'm going to stop by the library- just don't want to fork over $$$ without knowing if I ilke it. (Got to save up for the new HDTV, Blu-ray, and ST movies- wedding anniversary, birthday, and Christmas all rolled into one )
Netflix has got em all. Watch the first season. If you like it enough continue. I watched the first 3-4 discs of Alias and thought it was terrible. Moved on to something else.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Netflix has got em all. Watch the first season. If you like it enough continue. I watched the first 3-4 discs of Alias and thought it was terrible. Moved on to something else.
I'll look into Netflix. Thanks.

On the web, I started watching the first epi of Babylon 5 and laughed out loud- it just looked so cheesy and the acting was terrible. Maybe it got better, I dunno.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
I'll look into Netflix. Thanks.

On the web, I started watching the first epi of Babylon 5 and laughed out loud- it just looked so cheesy and the acting was terrible. Maybe it got better, I dunno.
It did. Much better.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Commander

Babylon 5 it's best to start with second season. There are 7-10 or so 1st season episodes that you might (eventually) want to go back to, but that's sort of optional. The TV movie 'In the Beginning' is also a very good jumping off point.

The series overall hasn't aged very well (it's very hard to get people into it now), however it was the hidden grail of sci-fi space opera at a time when Star Trek was felt to have long revealed its limitations. DS9 was still an awesome show, the seasons that I saw at least. But when I finally had to choose between one or the other (or risk dropping out of college)? B5.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The only thing I might add about watching some of those TNG related episodes first is that they give away some important developments for TNG characters before watching them in the context of that series, whereas anything really relevant in the DS9 shows gets reiterated in dialogue etc.

Which is why I probably would advise just watching DS9, then catching TNG and it will all make sense without giving spoilers for TNG.

Just my two cents though.
Maybe that's just me, but I don't think that any of the TNG characters really change during the course of the series, so I don't see anything there to spoil. Worf is the closest to having some sort of storyarc, and the episodes I mentioned pretty much cover it all (and DS9 spoils his storyarc in TNG because it is a continuation). Picard has the most dramatic event happened to him in "The Best of Both Worlds", and the DS9 pilot episode spoils it.

As for DS9, as I said, season 1 is not very representative of the series as a whole, apart from the first couple of episodes and the last two.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilEyes View Post
Maybe that's just me, but I don't think that any of the TNG characters really change during the course of the series, so I don't see anything there to spoil. Worf is the closest to having some sort of storyarc, and the episodes I mentioned pretty much cover it all (and DS9 spoils his storyarc in TNG because it is a continuation). Picard has the most dramatic event happened to him in "The Best of Both Worlds", and the DS9 pilot episode spoils it.

As for DS9, as I said, season 1 is not very representative of the series as a whole, apart from the first couple of episodes and the last two.
I would myself disagree that the couple of minutes Picard appears in 'Emissary' for ruins the entire story of 'Best of Both Worlds'.

It only acknowledges the basic Picard part, and the impact on Sisko.

Watching 'Birthright' would be un-neccessary from the point of view of seeing Bashir because his contribution has no relevance to anything he ever did later on DS9, but part 2 of that story contains significant developments for Data and his journey. And the Klingon storyline in that show was also never featured again.

'Chain of Command' also has a significant Picard event.

Although Worf did join at Season 4, the TNG episodes are again all reiterated where applicable in dialogue during any episodes where characters or events are referenced.

But, yeah, it comes down to different ways of looking at it. I'd still say they are not required as pre-study but then, it probably wouldn't really matter either way in the long run.

To the individual concerned on the thread, TNG doesn't look that interesting to them, so why spend time on it when it's not 100% required. That's just how I look at it, anyway.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Captain

I am having a DS9 marathon, for the second time straight! I am on season 5 for the second time. I LOVE IT! If you know basic things about TNG, it just makes it more fun, but it definately does stand on it's own. There are TNG references, as well as TOS ones too. Mirror,Mirror from TOS is discussed in one epi as well as the Tribble epi. Then there is the 4th season addition of Worf. Either way you do it, you will love it.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:53 AM
Commander

@kevin.

I also don't think it's necessary. In fact I started buying DS9 episodes and watching and all having not seen much TNG at all for ages ~certainly long enough to forget a lot of the more intricate details. Never had any adverse effect on my enjoyment of either show.

Still, to watch them both together or separately does add to the general appreciation of the characters involved and their stories. example. *with spoiler* Knowing that Worf killed Gowron towards the end of DS9 made it very interesting to see him being responsible for Gowron's rise to power in the first place.

@kiko kea,

Possibly it is best not to judge a series by its first episode! as this is often where the people responsible for the series (writers, producers, actors) have little experience with the stories and characters so far and are therefore mostly not quite sure of where they will be taking them.

Don't get me started on if Encounter at Farpoint had been the first TNG episode I'd ever seen...!! lol. Sometimes the first episode of something turns out to be a great opening to a hopeless series, and sometimes a terrible opening to a late-blooming and actually quite entertaining and brilliant series.

I haven't seen much of Bab.5 so can't really comment on whether this is specifically the case for that show in particular.

Took me three and a half weeks to watch DS9 from beginning to end last time I went all the way through it, and in between I was also watching one TNG disc at the end of each season. Now I'm going through DS9 again and still luvving it of course. <currently up to Dramatis Personae, which is one of the episodes on my favourite season one disc.> yay.