The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Can DS9 stand on its own?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Lieutenant

Oh, what about Farscape? I know that's not Trek, but was it a good show? I missed about 20 years of TV, it seems!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Commander

I enjoyed Farscape. I mean, it's no DS9, but still an interesting premise and quite watchable.

And yes -- DS9 could definitely stand on its own. (Although the other Trek series are also good shows.)
Old 07-09-2009, 02:53 AM
Lieutenant

I don't think that the changes are that drastic. Sure, Worf is added to the main cast, but all the other main characters and most of the recurring ones are there right from the start and don't go away... well, there is one exception later, but I won't spoil that! And I really don't think that the main characters undergo any big sudden changes - apart from natural character development throughout the show. Also, the relationships between Bajor, Cardassia and the Federation play a big role throughout the show - but from season 3 and 4 things get a lot more complicated and there is another force (introduced in the season 2 finale / season 3 opener) that becomes the main antagonist, Klingons also play a big role since season 4, etc.

I thought that season 1 was the weakest, as it had too many standalones and the show seemed to still be finding its identity, but there were a few great episodes. Season 2 introduces two-parters and three-parters and longer storyarcs, and in later seasons, the series becomes even more serialized.

You don't really need to watch TNG in order to understand DS9. But if you want to get some background from TNG, these are the episodes that are related to DS9:

"The Best of Both Worlds" parts 1 & 2 (3.26/4.01) - shows what happened with Picard and the Borg, referenced in DS9 pilot. Many regard part 1 as the best TNG episode.

"The Wounded" (4.12) - introduces the Cardassians (though with a slightly different makeup and uniform than those we see in DS9), and the character of Miles O'Brien (Colm Meaney), who will go on to be one of the main cast of DS9, is really developed as a character for the first time. And it's also a very good episode that feels more DS9-ish than TNG-ish because of a degree of moral ambiguity.
(BTW the actor who plays the Cardassian Gul (captain) Macet in this episode later played the recurring character Gul Dukat in DS9 - so don't be confused if he later seems a bit familiar.)

Worf's storyarc in TNG (besides Worf, it features other Klingon characters like Chancellor Gowron, Worf's brother and Worf's son, who also appear in DS9):
"The Emissary" (2.20)
"Sins of the Father" (3.17)
"Reunion" (4.07)
"Redemption" parts 1 & 2 (4.26 / 5.01)
"Rightful Heir" (6.23)
"Firstborn" (7.21) (a few other episodes deal with Worf's relationship with his son, including "New Ground", "Ethics", "Cost of Living" , "Imaginary Friend", "Rascals", "A Fistful of Datas" - but they're not all that necessary; you'll get the idea from "Reunion" and "Firstborn")

not necessary to understand anything from DS9, but nevertheless interesting episodes about Bajorans / Cardassians:

"Ensign Ro" (5.03) - introduces the first major Bajoran character in Trek (but Ro Laren does not appear in DS9, although it was first planned that she would before Michelle Forbes decided not to commit to a show as regular, so the character of Kira Nerys was created instead)
"Chain Of Command" parts 1 & 2 (6.10-6.11) - Picard gets captured and tortured by Cardassians. Very famous two-parter, one of the highlights of the series, with great performances by Patrick Stewart and David Warner as Cardassian Gul Madred. It aired just before the beginning of DS9, so some consider it a lead-in into DS9. It certainly feels very DS9-ish, with its theme, darker tone, and B-story that involves personal clashes between the officers on Enterprise.

TNG is mostly made of standalone episodes, so it doesn't matter if you skip some episodes or only see some. And these are also some of the best TNG episodes, so as an additional benefit, you get a much better introduction to TNG than its mostly awful first season.

edit: Oh and I almost forgot - TNG "Second Chances" (6.24) gets sort of a sequel in DS9 "Defiant" (3.09).

Last edited by DevilEyes : 07-09-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Federation Councillor

It more than stands on it's own, but it gets a lot darker and murkier than TNG. TNG is relatively closer to TOS with it's ship and crew concept.

Most of the crossover characters you don't quite need to know the full backstory of for their DS9 appearances etc.

I'd go with whichever you have the gut feeling would interest you more.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-09-2009, 04:46 AM
Commander

Devil Eyes...

What about "Birthright"??

Or -- all right -- maybe that's something to watch after familiarising yourself with DS9.

Still........

First: It's the first scenes with Worf on the Promenade well before he became a central character on Deep Space Nine. Not to mention all those other TNG characters wandering around the station.
We know from Emissary that the Enterprise has been there before, but this is the first time we see TNG characters in that setting particularly.

Second: You got Bashir breaking into the Enterprise's sickbay which is kind of funny -- and all that stuff with Geordi and Data. (And the final shot in fluffy slippers. sorry gotta mention that one.)

Third: There is also some very interesting character development for Worf which granted doesn't have any Worf / Alexander interaction in it but still there is a lot for exploring Worf as a character. I'm surprised Odo didn't either arrest him or threaten him for dangling Shrek the Yridian off the upper level.

I found personally that a lot of the episodes you mentioned from next gen (especially the Bajoran / Cardassian ones) are those I appreciated more having seen the detail of DS9 first.

--------------------
An incidental aside: I'm kind of glad that Ro didn't end up on Deep Space Nine like they were planning to have her do, because her not being there was a golden opportunity to have Major Kira as a non starfleet character.

Last edited by kukalakana : 07-09-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post

First: It's the first scenes with Worf on the Promenade well before he became a central character on Deep Space Nine. Not to mention all those other TNG characters wandering around the station.
We know from Emissary that the Enterprise has been there before, but this is the first time we see TNG characters in that setting particularly.

Second: You got Bashir breaking into the Enterprise's sickbay which is kind of funny -- and all that stuff with Geordi and Data. (And the final shot in fluffy slippers. sorry gotta mention that one.)

Third: There is also some very interesting character development for Worf which granted doesn't have any Worf / Alexander interaction in it but still there is a lot for exploring Worf as a character. I'm surprised Odo didn't either arrest him or threaten him for dangling Shrek the Yridian off the upper level.

I found personally that a lot of the episodes you mentioned from next gen (especially the Bajoran / Cardassian ones) are those I appreciated more having seen the detail of DS9 first.
I thought whether to include "Birthright" or not and finally decided against it, but you're right that it certainly should be added to the list of DS9-related episodes.

Some of those episodes really would work better after DS9, but some of the episodes I listed would work better before DS9 - especially "The Best of Both Worlds" (since DS9 pilot episode practically completely spoils TBOBW), and some of the Worf episodes that introduce his brother, the Duras storyline etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
An incidental aside: I'm kind of glad that Ro didn't end up on Deep Space Nine like they were planning to have her do, because her not being there was a golden opportunity to have Major Kira as a non starfleet character.
Me too. And, although Michelle Forbes is one of my faveourite TV actresses and I like Ro Laren, I love Kira more and it's very fortunate that the character exists.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Lieutenant

Wow, thanks, Devil- quite a work to put that together for me! I really appreciate it. Kukulakana, I'll add Birthright to the list to watch- thanks for suggesting it.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:07 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilEyes View Post
Some of those episodes really would work better after DS9, but some of the episodes I listed would work better before DS9 - especially "The Best of Both Worlds" (since DS9 pilot episode practically completely spoils TBOBW), and some of the Worf episodes that introduce his brother, the Duras storyline etc.
True. It's funny seeing some of the characters (like Gowron) looking so much younger in earlier episodes of TNG!!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
Oh, what about Farscape? I know that's not Trek, but was it a good show? I missed about 20 years of TV, it seems!
There's a reason they called it 'Muppets in Space.' Think of it as Lewis Carroll meets Jim Hensen in a galaxy far, far away.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Federation Councillor

The only thing I might add about watching some of those TNG related episodes first is that they give away some important developments for TNG characters before watching them in the context of that series, whereas anything really relevant in the DS9 shows gets reiterated in dialogue etc.

Which is why I probably would advise just watching DS9, then catching TNG and it will all make sense without giving spoilers for TNG.

Just my two cents though.

courtesy of Saquist