The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Can DS9 stand on its own?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Lieutenant

Default Can DS9 stand on its own?

Will watching DS9 without seeing all the TNG series make sense or is there much overlap as far as characters and plots? Or, should I start with TNG and work my way through until I get to DN9?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

It stands on it's own, there will be refrences and nods to TNG that you may not catch, but the stories are self sufficient. I probably would start with TNG though if it was me, but it isn't necessary.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Lieutenant

OK, thanks. I know there's canon, or sort of canon, that runs through TNG to DS9, etc, but did not know how complex the whole thing was.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

The pilot episode deals with Sisko and his mistrust of Picard due to Picard's involvment at the battle of Wolf 359 as Locutus. But even that is explained well enough in the pilot that you will know what's going on if you had never seen TNG.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Lieutenant

I see. Quite frankly, DS9 looks more interesting than TNG, which is why I was thinking of getting it.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Commander

There's a few cross-over characters like Cheif O'Brian and Worf, and a few cross-over episodes from what i recall, during the last seasons of TNG, when DS9 aired concurrently, as well as references to the Marquis, but it stands on its own.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
I see. Quite frankly, DS9 looks more interesting than TNG, which is why I was thinking of getting it.
I would suggest you try out one Season at a time beginning with Season one which introduces all of the main characters, but bear in mind, that the show undergoes drastic changes beginning in Season four. New characters are added, the main characters are changed and the basic relationships undergo a realignment, and it develops into a very different show.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I would suggest you try out one Season at a time beginning with Season one which introduces all of the main characters, but bear in mind, that the show undergoes drastic changes beginning in Season four. New characters are added, the main characters are changed and the basic relationships undergo a realignment, and it develops into a very different show.
You're speaking of DS9? Was the change for the better?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
You're speaking of DS9? Was the change for the better?
Depends who you ask. There was a poll done on this at startrek.com and it seems Trek fans over there favored the change, it included longer story arcs, more Klingons and a war. Personally, i liked DS9 pre-change, which is basically the first three seasons. The changes were introduced to boost ratings. But its basically a different show overall.

First three seasons focus on the triangular relationship between the Federation, the Bajorans, and the Cardassians, as the main antagonists, alot of the storylines involve the past conflicts between the Bajorans and Cardassians. All the characters introduced in the pilot remain basically the same throughout the first three seasons and the stories tend to be episodic with the exception of a few two and three parters.

Beginning with Season four, the basic alignment changes, new characters are introduced, some characters are eliminated or replaced and several of the main characters undergo dramatic changes. I won't leak what this means to avoid giving away spoilers. But the basic point is the show dramatically changes, so if you watch Season one and don't like it, don't give up on the show until you've started on Season four.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Lieutenant

I'll give it a shot. I'm going to check our local library to see if they have it, or maybe I can get it used for less. THanks.