The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Official "V" trailer on ABC "V" webpage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I couldn't help notice the parallels. The visitors promised us "hope and change". Could "V" be an allegorical attack on the fandom surrounding Obama's election? I remember originally, Kenneth Johnson used "V" as an allegory on the dangers of totalitarian government, Nazi Germany was the model for the "visitors" style of rule.
yes Johnson wasn't even planning on the series being SciFi. it was intended as a political thriller, but everyone wanted to cash in on STAR WARS.

do the Visitors have earth clothes or alien uniforms in the new one??
I can't remember because everytime I see Morena Baccarrin I imagine her naked
Old 07-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
yes Johnson wasn't even planning on the series being SciFi. it was intended as a political thriller, but everyone wanted to cash in on STAR WARS.

do the Visitors have earth clothes or alien uniforms in the new one??
I can't remember because everytime I see Morena Baccarrin I imagine her naked
Laura Vandervoort had one. I remember because i was disappointed she wasn't wearing less.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I couldn't help notice the parallels. The trailer says "the visitors promised us hope and change". Could "V" be an allegorical attack on the fandom surrounding Obama's election? Or the perceived failure of his administration to follow through with their promises? I remember originally, Kenneth Johnson used "V" as an allegory on the dangers of totalitarian government, Nazi Germany was the model for the "visitors" style of rule.
Given it was probably substantially filmed before he took office that would be incredibly prescient of ABC and the makers.

Of course they could take the more balanced view that 6 months out of 4 years is a bit premature to write off an administration and be going for something else.

Or it could just be an inferior remake of the 1984 mini-series.

I guess we can take answers on a postcard.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
really??

why is Law and Order so expensive?
Law and order is probably that expensive because the actors start demanding more money after a while.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Vice Admiral

So basically movie special effects are so much expensive because of the photo realism required for the big screen? I always knew movie effects were more detailed, but the massive increase in labor costs and overhead still seem unjustified to me. Let me put it this way. Let's say you have a 4 million per episode sci-fi TV show. You have a dozen animators that do about 5 minutes of special effects work per episode (It's not like you watch the entire show from the outside of a space ship! This one dozen group spits out those TV quality special effects every week. Are movie quality effects double the definition? 4 times the definition? So let's say movie special effects are 4 times more complicated. Does that mean 48 guys could do 5 minutes in a week or 12 guys 4 weeks to do it? I just don't see why it takes an army of people to do it and take so darn long. It's not like movies are spit out in a couple of months. Are movie effects 100 times better than what we see on TV?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
I couldn't help notice the parallels. The trailer says "the visitors promised us hope and change". Could "V" be an allegorical attack on the fandom surrounding Obama's election? Or the perceived failure of his administration to follow through with their promises? I remember originally, Kenneth Johnson used "V" as an allegory on the dangers of totalitarian government, Nazi Germany was the model for the "visitors" style of rule.
You think Obama has the market on "hope and change" cornered? I suppose someone could perceive Obama's administration as a failure, but I think that type of thinking (either as a failure or a success) is wayyyyy premature. The guy has been in office less than 7 full months and people expect him to snap his fingers and to fix everything?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Commander

Quote:
Laura Vandervoort had one. I remember because i was disappointed she wasn't wearing less.
MMMMMMM..... Vandervoort!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
MMMMMMM..... Vandervoort!!!
Is she the one that played Vala's daughter on SG-1? The one that was Ori?

Edit: nevermind. I googled her. She was Supergirl. I think she is very sexy, but I'm a little tired of the pretty blonde type. I like the sexy brunette that played Vala's daughter on SG-1!! Mmmmmm... what I would do!
Old 07-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Law and order is probably that expensive because the actors start demanding more money after a while.
That is part of it. But each still costs a lotta bucks.

Historical note: considering the cost of TMP Paramount put a tight budget on WoK. So they reused as much as possible from TMP. Effects obviously. But also sets, uniforms, and everything else they could find. The same old TMP bridge set. Regula was the orbiting station. Transporter room was the Klingon ship bridge.

It will be interesting to see what kind of budget the next movie is given and what they get for the money. They dont have to rebuild the bridge for one.

And yes the number often quoted for DS9 was 1.5 million each. If you want to extrapolate from TNG's 1 million and DS9 then Voyager cost 2 million and Ent 2.5. But those two are just a guess on my part.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Federation Councillor

I think TWOK had something like less than a third the budget of TMP. Something like $12 million dollars instead of $45 million. I'd hope that for the sequel they don't start going too far in each direction.

Raising it too much reduces potential profitability and they should already be able to save money as many sets can be stored and re-used. But go too cheap to try and boost profits in the hope it earns the same kind of grosses can make it look poorer.

TWOK had the better story of the two - but you clearly see the lower budget at play in some effects shots etc.

I'd prefer they didn't spend more than they did on the first one. Maybe a bit less. $100 million minimum is best, but not $200 million etc.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 07-12-2009 at 01:01 PM.