The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Unexpected cancer breakthrough...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Has any major diease other than leprosy ever been cured?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Botany Bay's Avatar
Botany Bay Botany Bay is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Has any major diease other than leprosy ever been cured?
Pox?

The deadly veneral deseases come to my mind too, like syphilis. Back in the old days people had to die a slow and cruel death including insanity. But since the 1940ies we have Penicillin that also cures gangrene. Saved many lives of sailors and soldiers.

PS: In 1824 Pope Leo XII. forbidd pox immunization. Seems popes have traditionally problems with life saving methods like, you know, immunizations and condoms.

Last edited by Botany Bay : 07-08-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Chicken Pox?
Syphillis is cured?
..and Gangrene...

I don't know if vaccinations count as cures they're vaccines...limited.

Please tell me after 100 years of modern medicine this isn't the best we've done.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Botany Bay's Avatar
Botany Bay Botany Bay is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Chicken Pox?
Syphillis is cured?
..and Gangrene...

I don't know if vaccinations count as cures they're vaccines...limited.

Please tell me after 100 years of modern medicine this isn't the best we've done.
Chicken pox has a vaccine and is cureable too.

Yes, syphillis is cured. Takes two injections of anti-biotics and the sailor can go on the great tour again. Garr, garr!!!

And gangrene too. Thats why the U.S. military pumped a tremendous ammount of money into buying Penicillin during WWII.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

So anti-bacterials because of penicillin...

We know more about how cells work now than ever before and this is it...
The worse dieases are beyond the celluar level. So the real answer is none.
How long ago were the anti biotics discovered?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-08-2009, 09:24 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Ah, but is Mickey so far away.....an older article but...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...L&type=science
Not sure if anyone took a look at it, but it has a very interesting summary of the percentage similarity of the genetic code of Mice and Humans, and their attendant suitability for use as test subjects.

And also a handy summary of the development of the mouse as a species.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Botany Bay's Avatar
Botany Bay Botany Bay is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
So anti-bacterials because of penicillin...

We know more about how cells work now than ever before and this is it...
The worse dieases are beyond the celluar level. So the real answer is none.
How long ago were the anti biotics discovered?
1897 by Ernest Duchesne.

And the remark that the worst deseases are not cured by anti-biotics is a little misleading. Thanks to anti-biotics and medicine a huge ammount of deseases are not on the list of "worst deseases" anymore. But of course there is allways something the Doctor can not cure, as long as he doesnt have the phonenumber of Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHRG...eature=related

Last edited by Botany Bay : 07-08-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
1897 by Ernest Duchesne.
So it's true genetics has done virtually nothing to cure anything significant in the last 100 years after understanding the cell and discovering genetics.

Quote:
And the remark that the worst deseases are not cured by anti-biotics is a little misleading. Thanks to anti-biotics and medicine a huge ammount of deseases are not on the list of "worst deseases" anymore. But of course there is allways something the Doctor can not cure, as long as he doesnt have the phonenumber of Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHRG...eature=related
I am not diminishing the discovering Botany, I'm just not including it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

In the last hundred years, life expectancy in the first world has nearly doubled (while the previous doubling took thousands of years). Like GDP, life expectancy did not start to grow strongly before the Industrial Revolution.
Of course not merely medical advancement but also nutrition has a significant effect upon life expectancy.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Botany Bay's Avatar
Botany Bay Botany Bay is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
So it's true genetics has done virtually nothing to cure anything significant in the last 100 years after understanding the cell and discovering genetics.
Cough, cough... what did you expect? That Mendel did decipher the human genome within a week using nothing more then an antique microscope and a slide rule? Your statement makes as much sense as saying Rocket Science hasnt achieved anything since the first chinese man started a fire work. Or as if you would complain that computers are still not capable of calculating all digits of the number Pi, eventhough the first abacus was used 3000 years before Christ.

Last edited by Botany Bay : 07-08-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.