The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Chris Pine Only Two Degrees of Separation From President Obama!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Banned

Wink Chris Pine Only Two Degrees of Separation From President Obama!

Chris Pine appeared on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno (first degree of separation).

Jay Leno has had President Obama on his show (second degree of separation).

Once you appear on the Tonight Show, you're pretty much just a couple of steps from thousands of celebrities and statesmen.

And given that his dad is Robert Pine of CHiPs fame who, during that show, acted with many Hollywood guest stars -- including former Tonight Show host Johnny Carson's sidekick Ed McMahon -- Chris Pine is only a few degrees of separation from most of Hollywood!

Naturally, this would include actors from Star Wars and other competing science fiction franchises.

See: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075488/fullcredits

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-06-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

wow
and he's just a couple degrees from his dad!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpock View Post
wow
and he's just a couple degrees from his dad!
Depending on how you count it, it's either zero (from his genetic material) to two (if his dad is considered solely as the spouse of his mother).

(Actually, strictly speaking, it's probably one degree of separation, if it is granted that he knows his dad directly, and I have no reason to believe otherwise.)
Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Zachary Quinto shook Obama's hand (http://www.zacharyquinto.com/news/). I'm not sure how that affects Chris Pine but it is interesting....
Old 07-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Admiral

As Robert Pine appeared in a number of Trek shows, his son is 2 degrees from most of the legend....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
Zachary Quinto shook Obama's hand (http://www.zacharyquinto.com/news/). I'm not sure how that affects Chris Pine but it is interesting....
Two degrees of separation also for Pine, and one degree for Quinto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
As Robert Pine appeared in a number of Trek shows, his son is 2 degrees from most of the legend....
Good call! To a narrower extent (i.e., somewhat more limited to TOS), this would also follow from the fact that Chris Pine starred with Leonard Nimoy in the movie. Moreover, this is not strictly limited to TOS, since Nimoy appeared in TNG as well as TOS.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Depending on how you count it, it's either zero (from his genetic material) to two (if his dad is considered solely as the spouse of his mother).

(Actually, strictly speaking, it's probably one degree of separation, if it is granted that he knows his dad directly, and I have no reason to believe otherwise.)
Chris Pine's mother - also an actor - appeared on Chips while pregnant with Chris. So it's zero degrees to his dad either way.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tberry View Post
Chris Pine's mother - also an actor - appeared on Chips while pregnant with Chris. So it's zero degrees to his dad either way.
As I understand it, for something to be zero degrees of separation, strictly speaking, you have to actually BE the person. Since Chris is actually partly his dad's genome, he is arguably close to zero, but not exactly zero, degrees from his dad. For it to be zero, Robert and Chris Pine would have to be the same person. (This might be true in cases of dissociative identity disorder, a.k.a. multiple personality syndrome, which is obviously not applicable here.) Perhaps in the case of father and son, the degree of separation could be 0.5?

If what I'm thinking is true, then since Chris was in some sense on CHiPs with his dad while Chris was in utero, then he would be either 0.5 or one degree of separation from his dad.

My understanding of what one degree of separation is reinforced by the usage of it in a news article about the one degree of separation (so specifically stated) between Kevin Bacon (and his wife), on one hand, and Bernard Madoff, on the other, through which the Bacons are said to have lost a great deal of money. (See: http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/1...m-kevin-bacon/ ) (This is not connected with the popular concept known as "six degrees of Kevin Bacon," which pre-dates the Bacons' alleged loss.)

Interestingly, JJ Abrams was the producer of Six Degrees, a show partly based on the six degrees of separation theory.

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-06-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Ensign

I guess it depends how you define the term "separation." In my mind, if two people are in the same movie (tv show, etc.) they are not separated, there is nothing, no other step, other person to separate them. But the game might count it differently.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tberry View Post
I guess it depends how you define the term "separation." In my mind, if two people are in the same movie (tv show, etc.) they are not separated, there is nothing, no other step, other person to separate them. But the game might count it differently.
I take your meaning.

One way to think of it, though, is that if there is zero degrees of separation between any two individuals who know each other, then you wouldn't always be able to add the degrees together.

Thus:

A knows B = zero degrees.
B knows C = zero degrees.

Yet:

If A knows C only through B, under your proposed approach, this would count as one degree.

In the above, you could not add the A-B relationship to the B-C relationship to reach the result of one degree, since zero plus zero is zero.

Furthermore, it's said in another connection (see: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci932596,00.html# ) that six degrees of separation means that there are five (not six) intermediaries between any one person and any other person. This is possible only if the first link is counted as one degree of separation.

Illustration:

Given:

(Fig. 1) A - B - C - D - E - F - G

If A can reach G through five intermediaries, then B, C, D, E, and F must be those intermediaries.

However, if A-B cannot count as a degree of separation, then in order to have six degrees of separation, one must posit:

(Fig. 2) A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H

Which would violate the definition given in the computing website I cited, since B through H total as six, not five, intermediaries.

Further, in Figure 1, it follows that A-B and F-G cannot each be zero degrees of separation, since that would leave only C, D, and E as the intermediaries.

It's possible to pre-define A-B and F-G (or G-H) as zero degrees of separation even so, but at the cost of making the linkages perfectly fungible.

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-07-2009 at 12:22 AM.