The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > Religion on the Forums.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

I met Jehova's witnesses twice. They seemed nice, polite and naive and their literal interpretation of the bible is pretty silly in my opinion. I also remember that my dad, who is a religious teacher, told how he once invited two from the missionary fraction into the house and how the discussion revealed their inconsistencies and simple lack of knowledge.

There is also a sect-like aspect about them which I better don't talk about here. Any organization which disencourages its members from taking a look from a different perspective is evil. Period.
By the way, I wonder if these folks accept blood transfusion if they are in dire need of it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
However, I understood the thread topic to be "religion on the forum" not "uncritical celebration of my chosen faith"?
Indeed.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I'll just note that this thread has now made the turn that inevitably leads to closure. People are making negative comments about the religion of others. It's only a matter of time before complaints get filed and the thread is closed.
I find it strange that one set of ideas should be ring-fenced as beyond criticism just because they are "religious". When a set of ideas are put on a pedestal and are shielded from all argument or analysis, is this a good thing? The slightest statement from the religious leader of Iran is promoted to the people as the direct word of god and therefore no-one can argue with it.
That's the flip side of making religious ideas special.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
By the way, I wonder if these folks accept blood transfusion if they are in dire need of it ...
No, they do not...My Aunt who is Jehovah's Witness used to be a nurse; that bit gave her some trouble, at first...but she realized she was happier doing what they do, so she stuck with it. She quit nursing long before she converted...JW's got her off of drugs, actually...so I have no problem with her choice...at least I know she is still around, which I was beginning to doubt she would be.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

People who have or had to cope with some serious trouble in their life often rely on rigorous religious believes to get something stable in their life. I also once met a guy who has serious drugs problems during in his youth and then adopted a strict form of Islamic belief.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Federation Councillor

I think Lennon covered this well in the song "God"

God-Lyrics and Music By John Lennon

God is a Concept by which
we measure our pain
I'll say it again
God is a Concept by which
we measure our pain
I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-ching
I don't believe in Bible
I don't believe in Tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in Mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in Yoga
I don't believe in Kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me...and that reality

The dream is over
What can I say?
the Dream is Over
Yesterday
I was the Dreamweaver
But now I'm reborn
I was the Walrus
But now I'm John
and so dear friends
you'll just have to carry on
The Dream is over
Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Commander

hmm... Jehovah's witnesses, huh?

I had a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness in high school, and although I would never ever convert to their beliefs most of the ones I've known have seemed pretty all right as people. No wurries there.

I don't think that religion has to become a heated topic every time -- just a shame that it sometimes does. Although at least most of us aren't going out and killing each other because of it.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Lieutenant

while I think the discussion of religion should be allowed on here, I can understand why it's been kept a bit "hush-hush" on here...

Religious debate and discussion can be a very touchy subject with some, and with others, it's left either a very positive mark in their life, and others a very negative mark in their life, and things like that can cause arguments, fights, spamming, flaming, and insults of every kinds... even death threats.

It has to be handled with care if it's going to be handled at all on here.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I was reading a book in a bookshop discussing theology over the weekend. One of the points it raised was claiming that hell wasn't literally a place of fire where people burn, but more a state of slow disintegration of the soul after death of those who haven't accepted god into their lives. What are people's thoughts on this?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Lieutenant

I feel okay with stating what I believe. I am a Christian (denominationally, I am a Lutheran). I'll sum up what I believe with the Apostles Creed. We say these beautiful words every Sunday morning in our worship service.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ,
His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into hell.
On the third day He rose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
from there He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Holy Christian Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.
Amen.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
I was reading a book in a bookshop discussing theology over the weekend. One of the points it raised was claiming that hell wasn't literally a place of fire where people burn, but more a state of slow disintegration of the soul after death of those who haven't accepted god into their lives. What are people's thoughts on this?
Jesus warned of Hell repeatedly. He said that some would rise from death to "the resurrection of condemnation," (John 5:29). He declared that those who go to Hell enter the horrible place where "their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched," (Mark 9:44,46,48). He also depicted it as a place of "outer darkness" where there "will be weeping and gnashing of teeth," (Matthew 8:12; 22:13; 25:30).

I would be careful with weighing human theology over the written word of God. Jesus stated that hell is "the lake of fire". That's what I believe, because He said so. That's all I need. In any case though, hell is just as terrible whether it's literal fire, or not (which I believe it is). Hell is eternal seperation from God, to be cast away from Him. When we leave this world, we each will have our turn to stand at God's throne to give account for our sins. The wages of sin is death, but Jesus Christ paid that penalty on the cross. He was the perfect lamb, to become the one, adequate sacrifice to pay for the sins for anyone who will turn to the truth and follow Him. On the day of judgement, the people who do so will hear "Well done, good and faithful servant". That is is when our faith will be made sight. Those who spend their lives running from God though, are committing a sin by rejecting him and ultimately, original sin which is pride, the worship of self rather than than God. Those people will hear the most heart breaking and terrifying words they'll ever have heard or will ever hear again. Those words will be "Depart from Me, you workers of Iniquity. I never knew you."