The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > 10 days after movie opening & still no screen savers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Midshipman

Thumbs down 10 days after movie opening & still no screen savers

Guys,
I know you locked the other screen saver thread because you said they were going to be released "soon". Well the movie opened 10 days ago and the web site still says "coming soon" for the warp mode screen savers.

By "soon" did you mean before the DVD release?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Ensign

I think it would be more appropriate to just politely ask about the status, and any idea about readiness. This website is wonderfully done, obviously took a lot of work, and does Star Trek proud. While I too would enjoy seeing the new warp effect on my screen saver, I am able to live without it until the creators are satisfied that it matches the quality of the rest of the site.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Rear Admiral

lol, The admins here have no control when Paramount releases things.

Chill out cnjartist.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

No, don't chill out. You are right and I'm with you.

Look at the sites for Terminator Salvation, Transformers, and any other film that is to be released or is newly released. They ALL have a "Downloads" section, but NONE of them have a small animation showing what you can't have. Sure, there will be "Coming Soon" windows, but that content is ALWAYS available around the release of the movie, or shortly thereafter. In the 21st century, it is difficult to keep everyone's attention once the movie you are promoting has been released. Denying teased content to the end user is not a good idea. Since there is already a small animation of Warp Mode in the Flash design of the site, one can conclude that the entire screensaver file DOES exist and is ready. If they are waiting for the DVD release, that's just not smart on their part. It's ALWAYS better to have a "Coming Soon" window that is not specific, not what the designers in this case have done.

So, bring the frakkin' things on already, for Mac AND Windows users!

-JT
Old 05-21-2009, 01:12 AM
Commander

I agree that a teaser for a specific download is not good strategy. The reasoning is simple: If people don't know that something exists, you can't complain about it not being available. If I don't know that there is a warp mode screensaver, I can't complain that it isn't ready. You haven't followed up on the "soon" part. No, 2-3 months is not soon.

There is another reason why you would not put a teaser for a specifc download on a site: It makes you look unprofessional and hurts your crediblity if you are unable to follow through on making the download available. That would be why you shouldn't even keep it up but put a specific date when it would be available: if you can't have it ready by, say, May 28th, you will really catch crap.

I would suggest taking the screensaver off of the website until it is ready, and simply have something that says "more downloads to come" in its place. You don't even need the word soon.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Very well put, Oregon_Coast_Trekkie. I fully agree.

-JT
Old 05-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

I still wonder why there are no more Webmaster Program releases... many new pictures were released to the press, but not to webmasters.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Ensign

There is a point that is being missed - this site and its downloads are being offered free of charge. Beggars can't be choosers, and none of have any idea what other projects may be taking the designers time. I can't understand why users here are being so selfish and rude. If I was the creator, once the download was available, I would block every IP address of any person who complained because they were rude and unappreciative. Any one of you who want the screensaver are welcome to design one yourself and post a link here. I expect to see it very soon.

By the way, you can expect to catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Have a little decency and act like adults. Don't embarrass the rest of the respectable Star Trek fans by acting like squabbling children.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

First of all, to tebower....

Who died and made you the one that could look down his nose at us? It is unwise to hurl torpedoes from a glass-domed luxury liner.

Now to business....

This is a perfectly valid argument, and having been into Web design and the things that entails for some years myself, I wholeheartedly agree that this is a stupid move. If the designers intended for this wait, they went about it wrong. That portion of the Flash should simply say something that teases us about more downloads coming, period. But, in this case, it is a specific item. To make it worse, it cannot be downloaded AFTER the film's release. That's just NOT professional. If these people are so overworked, then it should STILL have been addressed BEFORE, DURING, or right after the release date.

It's just a case of bad decisions all around, and we have called them on it. Big deal.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

We could send in Darth Vader to querry STRedShirt in his usual, inimitabable fashion:

(with all due love to our favorite moderator...no slight or insult intended)

STRS: Welcome, Lord Vader. We are honored by your visit--
VADER: You may dispense with the pleasantries, RedShirt. I am here to put you back on schedule.
STRS: B-but, m-m'lord...what schedule?
VADER: Don't force me to use The Force.
STRS: I tell you, we will have screen savers out well before the DVD/Blu-Ray release.
VADER: The Emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation.
STRS: But, he asks the impossible. We need more bandwidth.
VADER: Then perhaps you can explain it to him when he arrives.
STRS: T-the Emperor's coming h-here?
VADER: That is correct, RedShirt. And he is most displeased with your apparent lack of product.
STRS: I'll pass the word on to redouble the effort, m'lord. But please, note...I am only a m-moderator.
VADER: And you are also designated a "RedShirt". Not exactly a desirable position in your universe.
STRS: M'lord does have a point there.
VADERL: And remember....the Emperor is not as forgiving as I am.

(Vader strolls on, while The Imperial March blares over the loudspeakers)

Again, with all due love for our favorite mod.